Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Navigation switched languages unexpectedly

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 02:11 AM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts
Default PCM Navigation switched languages unexpectedly

I was using the PCM 3.1 Nav today, and it was speaking another language. It might have been a German or Dutch (my language skills were not up to the task, sadly). Checked the Settings (Car-Option-Set PCM System...) and it was on Automatic (where it has always been AFAIK; never changed it). I am in California so would have thought Automatic would be US English, which is how it has always worked up to now.

So I can easily fix this by forcing US English of course, but wondered if anyone has experienced this glitch?
Old 01-04-2021, 04:53 PM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Not sure why you'd think the default would be English on a German car,,,

Just a thought, but perhaps your battery is dying. Mine is ebbing away veeery slowly and when I switched it on yesterday the phone display (right hand panel of dash) said "Kein Telefon" rather than No phone connected or whatever it usually says. It switched almost immediately back to English, but I'm pretty sure that's the first time it's done it. I've also occasionally had the "heated steering wheel" fault warning (I don't have a heated steering wheel). On cars like ours, weird stuff like this is a sign that the battery is on its way out. I've determined that I can get one from an auto parts store <1 mile away so as long as I don't leave it so late that I can't pop the frunk I'm not worried.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:06 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
Not sure why you'd think the default would be English on a German car,,,

Just a thought, but perhaps your battery is dying. Mine is ebbing away veeery slowly and when I switched it on yesterday the phone display (right hand panel of dash) said "Kein Telefon" rather than No phone connected or whatever it usually says. It switched almost immediately back to English, but I'm pretty sure that's the first time it's done it. I've also occasionally had the "heated steering wheel" fault warning (I don't have a heated steering wheel). On cars like ours, weird stuff like this is a sign that the battery is on its way out. I've determined that I can get one from an auto parts store <1 mile away so as long as I don't leave it so late that I can't pop the frunk I'm not worried.
Yeah, I've gotten the "Kein Telefon" message occasionally at startup, then almost immediately changes back to English. Though it's not definitive, you're probably right about battery on the way out as I haven't had it happen since I replaced my battery about a year ago.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:16 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Did the navigation also try to guide you to Poland?
Old 01-05-2021, 12:25 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Could have been Finland. My 09 Boxster was built in Finland. I'd suspect a weak battery. Assuming you get a new battery suggest a good battery charger/maintainer like Ctek.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the battery. That was a new battery installed by the dealer when they CPO'd the car, so it will be disappointing if it is failing after 8 months. I have driven about 4000 miles since I got the car, and I have used it at least weekly and without a lot of very short trips to stress it. I do leave the auto-stop-start thing on; maybe that's contributing but it should not be failing already. I will watch for other symptoms, and may need to have words with the dealer.

To Chrismalberts' point, yeah, I was making a bad assumption that "Automatic = US English". Maybe I was (over) thinking that in Automatic it would somehow adapt the language according to the location that the Nav finds itself in.... would not really make sense.

As for Poland, Finland....no, it was navigating normally and the street names were recognizable, it was the rest of the words that I could not understand. According to the plate on the inside of the door the car (2014 Cayman) was "Made in Germany".

Quick Reply: PCM Navigation switched languages unexpectedly