Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my (technically) first 981 Boxster S as a daily

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 02:51 PM
cyran
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Buying my (technically) first 981 Boxster S as a daily

I am eyeing a 2014 Boxster S at Carmax. This will be my daily hopefully for many years to come. I briefly drove my dad's 2013 base when he had hip issues and was trying to sell it. Unfortunately, he bought one with limited options so I opted not to take it off his hands as I thought it needed a few options for ease of daily driving.

I've done a lot of searches on this forum regarding options, but wanted to do a sanity check on this car:

2014 Boxster S
VIN: WP0CB2A87EK140257
Racing Yellow/Standard Black
33k miles
List: $42,990
MSRP: $81,250

BASE Boxster S
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 20" Carrera Classic Wheels
546 Supplemental safety roll-bar painted in exterior color
603 Bi-Xenon headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
630 Light Design Package 636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
658 Power Steering Plus AG Standard Interior in Black
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3 Racing Yellow
P94 Premium Package i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System

I live in Southern California, so I can live without heated seats but kind of a bummer there are no ventilated seats with the black interior. No PSE or PASM, but has Sport Chrono. No PSE is a bummer but, for me, not necessarily a deal breaker. It's a CarMax car so it's in transit for a test drive and they didn't even have pictures yet, but I wanted to jump on it since it costs nothing to have it shipped down to me for a test drive (within 60 miles I believe). It was a lease in NY, then was sold CPO in Los Angeles, now for sale by CarMax. I'll probably get the MaxCare warranty for ease of mind since it's a pretty comprehesive warranty.

Anyway, other than a sanity check, one big feature for me is audio streaming over bluetooth (as new phones no longer have headphone jacks and I love listening to music while driving). I have seen threads here with modules that plug in to the AUX port, but since I can't see pictures, does the Infotainment Package with BOSE Surround Sound System mean that is NOT full NAV or CDR+, meaning bluetooth audio streaming is not available natively?
Old 12-23-2020, 04:07 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,449 Likes on 518 Posts

I recently bought a 2014 cayman base so I have been following the market pretty actively. Others will chime in but mine with infotainment/bose/nav has bluetooth music streaming and I believe yours does also with PG9 optioned. Easy enough to check in person. As far as a daily driver spec, I personally would consider PDK in SoCal a necessity. I have a 6MT myself but it's a toy not a daily. I personally don't consider performance options to be that critical on a daily. The 20 inch wheels would probably be a negative for a daily in my book but that's a personal choice, rougher ride, more expensive tires and more prone to damage on SoCal freeways. But it looks cool and to some that's all that matters. Vented seats are nice, I have them, it was on my list when I was looking.

As for the price it seems low. If it's a no stories no accident clean title which it probably is given Carmax, I'd say it's a relative deal in the current market.

Last edited by remington; 12-23-2020 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by remington:
GZ Boxster (12-25-2020), maschinetheist (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 04:11 PM
cyran
Advanced

Originally Posted by remington
I recently bought a 2014 cayman base so I have been following the market pretty actively. Others will chime in but mine with infotainment/bose/nav has bluetooth music streaming and I believe yours does also. Easy enough to check in person. As far as a daily driver spec, I personally would consider PDK in SoCal a necessity. I have a 6MT myself but it's a toy not a daily. I personally don't consider performance options to be that critical on a daily. The 20 inch wheels would probably be a negative for a daily in my book but that's a personal choice, rougher ride, more expensive tires and more prone to damage on SoCal freeways. But it looks cool and to some that's all that matters. Vented seats are nice, I have them, it was on my list when I was looking.

As for the price it seems low. If it's a no stories no accident clean title which it probably is given Carmax, I'd say it's a relative deal in the current market.
Thanks, super helpful. It is clean, and I can always do a post inspection within the 7 day window. Given it was a CPO for the 2nd owner and a lease for the 1st I’d like to think it was maintained well but obviously no guarantees.

I think you’re right on the wheels, but can always swap out the 20s at least.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Looks to be a nice spec..

My car has Sport Chrono (640) as well as the infotainment pkg. w/ BOSE (P9G) and it has the full NAV and no issues streaming via BT. Works well with my Android S10+ phone. Just check the pics when available and make sure you have the MAP button on the PCM.

I also have the PDLS lights, and I was indifferent about them at the time I was shopping, but after driving the car a few times at night away from the highways, I LOVE that option..

I also have PSE and LOVE the sound of it.. I use it all the time, I mostly drive the car in SPORT mode. The sound of this thing at full tilt and 7K RPM is glorious.. FYI, PSE can be added after the fact, about 2K from a dealer, plus install, unless you are handy and can do it yourself.. Honestly, wrenching on these cars is easy for me..

Being in TX you would not think we would need heated seats, but I use mine occasionally (I should say my wife does..) but you prob dont need them..

As for pricing, that seems about right. I bought my 981 Cayman S exactly 2 years ago here locally, with 23K miles, for $46,500 while still under factory warranty, which was a decent deal at the time..

During your 7-day buyback period, check the door panels and headlights for delamination.. These are 2 issues that can happen on these models. (I had both and were fixed by warranty)

Good luck! I could totaly drive/own a yellow Boxster/Cayman..

Last edited by saabin; 12-23-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2020, 08:12 PM
cyran
Advanced

Originally Posted by saabin
Looks to be a nice spec..

My car has Sport Chrono (640) as well as the infotainment pkg. w/ BOSE (P9G) and it has the full NAV and no issues streaming via BT. Works well with my Android S10+ phone. Just check the pics when available and make sure you have the MAP button on the PCM.

I also have the PDLS lights, and I was indifferent about them at the time I was shopping, but after driving the car a few times at night away from the highways, I LOVE that option..

I also have PSE and LOVE the sound of it.. I use it all the time, I mostly drive the car in SPORT mode. The sound of this thing at full tilt and 7K RPM is glorious.. FYI, PSE can be added after the fact, about 2K from a dealer, plus install, unless you are handy and can do it yourself.. Honestly, wrenching on these cars is easy for me..

Being in TX you would not think we would need heated seats, but I use mine occasionally (I should say my wife does..) but you prob dont need them..

As for pricing, that seems about right. I bought my 981 Cayman S exactly 2 years ago here locally, with 23K miles, for $46,500 while still under factory warranty, which was a decent deal at the time..

During your 7-day buyback period, check the door panels and headlights for delamination.. These are 2 issues that can happen on these models. (I had both and were fixed by warranty)

Good luck! I could totaly drive/own a yellow Boxster/Cayman..
Thanks! Good point on the PSE - easily something that can be added after the fact. It’s better to focus on options that are not easily installed.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:00 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

I have a 2013 Boxster S that replaced a 2009 Boxster. IMO ventilated seats are a must. PSE sound is addictive. You can add PSE but its pricey.

This car has the Sport Chrono to compliment the PDK especially if you ever track the car.

There are several threads where purists would not buy a Porsche from CARMAX. Get the CARFAX to see the number of owners and what service history shows up. Two common problems are warped door panels and delaminating headlights.

CARMAX will not allow you to get a PPI before sale but you can have one after and return within 7 days. They will repair depending on what is found.

Get the CARMAX warranty. Negotiate the labor rate since their standard rate will not cover even a Porsche independent shop.

Check the tire dates regardless of tread. Anything over 5 years should be replaced. Michelin PS4S are considered the gold standard for these cars. COSTCO and Tire Rack are good sources.

Check the battery date, it could be the original but doubt it. Interstate from COSTCO.

Make sure the service that replaces the spark plugs and air filters has been done. The serpentine belt is another maintenance item.

Check the rotors and pads. Would not be surprised to see new pads on original rotors.

Much of this can be DIY but adds up.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:49 PM
tommietnk
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

OP, did you jump on the car? I don't even see it listed on their site. One thing I learned from buying my 981 recently was that if you see something you like, do not hesitate. Just go for it immediately.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:37 PM
cyran
Advanced

Originally Posted by tommietnk
OP, did you jump on the car? I don't even see it listed on their site. One thing I learned from buying my 981 recently was that if you see something you like, do not hesitate. Just go for it immediately.
I did! I’ve never bought from CarMax before for the usual reasons, but it was within 60 miles and they’ll ship it down for a test drive and put a hold on it for free so I figured why not. If I don’t like it, no skin off my back. It’s actually a pretty nice system...
The following users liked this post:
GZ Boxster (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 04:43 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Sweet!!!

Congratulations!

Love to see pics.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2020, 10:50 AM
cyran
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBell
Sweet!!!

Congratulations!

Love to see pics.

Merry Christmas
I will definitely take and post pics even if I don’t end up buying the car. And Merry Christmas! Feels like I’m buying a gift for myself.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM
cyran
Advanced

Now the plot thickens.

There's a 987.2 Boxster S in Racing Green Metallic and Sand Beige which is basically my dream color combo. 12k miles, $36k. But, it's not really well optioned:

MSRP: $70,340

BASE Boxster S
342 Heated Seats (Front)
446 WhlCtrsw/FullcolorPorscheCrest
551 Wind Deflector
573 Automatic Climate Control
680 BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
J1 Porsche Racing Green Metallic
P15 12-Way Power Seats
TG Sand Beige Full Leather Inter
V9 Soft Top in Black
Old 12-25-2020, 07:24 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by cyran
Now the plot thickens.

There's a 987.2 Boxster S in Racing Green Metallic and Sand Beige which is basically my dream color combo. 12k miles, $36k. But, it's not really well optioned:

MSRP: $70,340

BASE Boxster S
342 Heated Seats (Front)
446 WhlCtrsw/FullcolorPorscheCrest
551 Wind Deflector
573 Automatic Climate Control
680 BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
J1 Porsche Racing Green Metallic
P15 12-Way Power Seats
TG Sand Beige Full Leather Inter
V9 Soft Top in Black
What are your must have options? No ventilated seats would be an issue for me. You can add dealer installed Sport and Sport+.

What happened with CARMAX?
Old 12-25-2020, 07:30 PM
cyran
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
What are your must have options? No ventilated seats would be an issue for me. You can add dealer installed Sport and Sport+.

What happened with CARMAX?
Honestly, probably ventilated seats as well. I still have the CarMax car coming as well. I actually pulled the trigger on the carvana 987.2 just so it can get shipped here. I’ll test drive both and make a decision. I suspect I won’t be able to give up the racing green 987.2 and just live with a Bluetooth module in the aux. You’re absolutely right about adding sport and sport+ and I can do a PSE as well. If it’s going to be my daily for a decade, which is the plan, I don’t mind putting some money into either to make it a genuinely well optioned car.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:46 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,449 Likes on 518 Posts

Nice to have options. Without throwing shade at my 987 brothers, the 981 is a significant step forward. Some would argue the performance benefits between the two but I don't think many would argue that the 981 looks the business.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:34 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
Nice to have options. Without throwing shade at my 987 brothers, the 981 is a significant step forward. Some would argue the performance benefits between the two but I don't think many would argue that the 981 looks the business.
Agree.. having owned a 987 and 981, I cant think of a good reason (well, $ of course ) why I would pick a 987 over a 981 for a DD, all else being equal.. Even a desirable color couldn't sway me..

Lucky for you, you can drive both and then decide..

Last edited by saabin; 12-26-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying my (technically) first 981 Boxster S as a daily