Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman 981 with PCM3.1 V4.73 reboots every minute

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 08:44 PM
Skimster
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Above instructions and links from FOBioPatel are invaluable. Many thanks!

I had corrupted HDD, swapped for SSD, but corruption carried over. So used the above link to the 4.76 update and that fixed everything. Had to run it twice: first time it finished after about 25 mins and went into "Emergency Update", but then asked me to "Please insert an update medium [retries 17]". So, I did, and this time ran another update process that was faster (about 10 mins), finishing with the message, "Emergency update successfully finished". I presume the 2nd one repaired some files.

Anyway, I've also imaged the repaired drive as a backup and I would recommend everyone do that, even if your drive is OK.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

So how many years do the HDDs seem to be lasting before failure, or is it based on hours of use (inferred from mileage)?
Old 01-26-2021, 09:41 AM
mrjlevy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought the right Auto Stereo shop can easily remove and re-install the PCM as well as get you access to the Hard Drive, then all you need to do is clone the disc
Old 01-26-2021, 12:24 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjlevy
Just a thought the right Auto Stereo shop can easily remove and re-install the PCM as well as get you access to the Hard Drive, then all you need to do is clone the disc
It's REALLY easy and I would argue that people attempt it themselves first before paying someone to do such a simple job. But then again people here pay exorbitant amounts to have others swap a battery so who knows.
The following 3 users liked this post by absoluteczech:
maschinetheist (10-23-2021), mrjlevy (01-26-2021), nb1234 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Mansell5
3rd Gear

What am I doing wrong? I have cloned the drive to a SSD and reinstalled into the PCM. My system still reboots every 3 to 4 minutes. I downloaded the 4.76 firmware update from the google drive link, but the PCM doesn't seem to recognize the DVD I burnt. I have placed in the DVD drive shortly after accessing the PCM page detailing my current v. 4.73 and nothing happens.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:53 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mansell5
What am I doing wrong? I have cloned the drive to a SSD and reinstalled into the PCM. My system still reboots every 3 to 4 minutes. I downloaded the 4.76 firmware update from the google drive link, but the PCM doesn't seem to recognize the DVD I burnt. I have placed in the DVD drive shortly after accessing the PCM page detailing my current v. 4.73 and nothing happens.
people have had issues with the DVD, copy the iso files to a USB stick and try that way.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:40 PM
mrjlevy
Track Day

Another successful clone in the books and few helpful additions (and some repeats) that I haven't seen others mention.
1 Ok others have said this, but removing the panels and getting the PCM out is REALLY easy. If you are hesitant, don't be because this really was super easy.
2 I bought some removal tools for the panels on the amazon, but in the end you really can use your fingers/hands they come our very easily with pressure. Putting them back in in more nerve racking then removing them IMO
3 I laid down some microfiber cloths and simply pulled the PCM and let it rest on them and had plenty of access to the hard drive
4. For three to work you should put something behind your tires and shift the car into neutral so you can pull the PCM out further
4.5 Be sure to remove the 40A fuse to the PCM before attempting to remove the SSD. I removed the two 40A fuses on the top left of the passenger side fuse panel and this disconnected the power to PCM
5. In addition to the t25 torque bit or wrench too get the PCM out you will also need a T8 bit to get access to the hard drive then also to remove the screws that hold it in place.
6 I had to run to an auto parts store mid project cause I was missing the right driver to grab the T8, so make sure you have one in advance
7 If you buy a SSD cloner as others have posted (and your current PCM is up to date 4.76) then it really is easy as loading the two drives and pressing a button!
Thanks to everyone who has done this before me as I am not sure I would have ever had the confidence to do this without all the comments and info!
Cheer, Joel
Old 01-31-2021, 12:41 PM
mrjlevy
Track Day

I tested out boot times today with the new SSD and boot up took about 3 seconds for radio and bluetooth paired my phone in about 13 seconds.

Last edited by mrjlevy; 01-31-2021 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2021, 04:22 PM
gearFX
Racer

I tested out boot times today with the new SSD and boot up took about 3 seconds for radio and bluetooth paired my phone in about 13 seconds.
Are you saying that your PCM now boots up faster with SSD vs. previous HDD, which is another side-benefit (and your music will start playing sooner)?
Old 02-01-2021, 04:38 PM
mrjlevy
Track Day

Originally Posted by gearFX
Are you saying that your PCM now boots up faster with SSD vs. previous HDD, which is another side-benefit (and your music will start playing sooner)?
Yes I am saying it is a possible and likely side affect and also posted as have seen people pose the question before on this thread. This morning from a cold start (I live in CO with a detached garage), bluetooth connection was just over 30 seconds or right as I exit my garage, whereas before (swapping drive) seemed to happen as I am exiting my alley, likely double that, but not 100% certain. Either way, perhaps you or others can post the same info (for OEM Drives) for comparison sake. Beautiful car BTW gearFX.

Last edited by mrjlevy; 02-01-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Mansell5
3rd Gear

Working with my IT support in the office, I was able to get the 4.76 DVD to load and update. It repaired the "invalid" hard drive and now everything works fine.

I can also confirm faster boot times with the SSD.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:07 AM
gearFX
Racer

Yes I am saying it is a possible and likely side affect and also posted as have seen people pose the question before on this thread. This morning from a cold start (I live in CO with a detached garage), bluetooth connection was just over 30 seconds or right as I exit my garage, whereas before (swapping drive) seemed to happen as I am exiting my alley, likely double that, but not 100% certain. Either way, perhaps you or others can post the same info (for OEM Drives) for comparison sake. Beautiful car BTW gearFX.
Thank you! I see we share similar taste in vehicles and color.

For the sake of science (though one variable is the phone itself, I'm using Samsung Galaxy Note 9), I measured my stock PCM (with HDD) on a cold start and it took 22 seconds to say "Connecting" and 24 seconds to say "Connected." My USB stick of music started playing at 15 seconds.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:44 PM
prairiedawgshoot
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello All...my PCM just started the constant reboot that I've been reading about here...I am not technologically savvy, however, I'm sure I can take the car apart to get the drive out, what do you all recommend I do once I get it out? Is there anyone out there with the know how and hardware willing/able to help?

thanks!
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 AM
mrjlevy
Track Day

Originally Posted by prairiedawgshoot
Hello All...my PCM just started the constant reboot that I've been reading about here...I am not technologically savvy, however, I'm sure I can take the car apart to get the drive out, what do you all recommend I do once I get it out? Is there anyone out there with the know how and hardware willing/able to help?

thanks!
see above for hard disk cloners and ssd. The Startech (I bought the
$60 one) available on Amazon is super easy and you simply load the disks and hit the clone button. You will also need a new SSD such as Samsung Evo 870 also available on amazon. Then you will likely need to get a copy of the pcm 4.76 update iso file and burn to disk or usb drive to repair your cloned hard drive....getting the drive out is the hard part, but definitely not hard IMO
Old 02-03-2021, 12:21 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prairiedawgshoot

thanks!
Start on page 1, it's outlined on what to do and how to do it. Also one of the pages has a link to another thread with even more info on DIY.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman 981 with PCM3.1 V4.73 reboots every minute