Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 09:47 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts
Default LSD discussion

Did a quick search but this seems to be uncommon outside of dialogue around OEM equipped cars.

Has anyone put a limited slip in their 987 or 981? Was there a noticeable difference? Yesterday the rear tires were "skipping" for traction - it was a little cold and a little damp and I was getting on it but nothing that would have gotten me in trouble with LEO. My 991 would take the same conditions far more aggressively with zero traction issues. Not expecting that level of traction or cornering but I do believe the car can do better.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:03 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Were you accelerating in a straight line, or while cornering? I ask because "skipping" sounds like wheel hop, to me, which an LSD won't do much to cure.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:51 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
Were you accelerating in a straight line, or while cornering? I ask because "skipping" sounds like wheel hop, to me, which an LSD won't do much to cure.
actually not true. That’s exactly one of the benefits of an LSD. They always offer some amount of drive to the good wheel, which is dictated by the locking factor.

Now a TBD, aka torque biasing differential, like a Quaife or a Wavetrac, that does go open at the limit. If you lift a wheel or get zero traction, like on ice, it’s no better than a stock open diff.

Not all perfomance differentials are created equal.
The following users liked this post:
fnel1771 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

I have a guard LSD in the racecar, but the LSD install was part of my initial build, so don't have a pre-installed reference.

Speaking in very large generalities. I'm guessing your issue would be a difference in tire compound rather than LSD. I would think to notice the difference you would need to be pushing well beyond what would get you in trouble with Leo.

But when you need more traction a LSD is a fantastic cheap(relatively) way to add substancil traction and balance.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:52 PM
NoVACayman
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry I'm not helpful on pre vs post LSD install on a 987 or 981, but I vote get a LSD. I know exactly what you are referring to and can relate to the frustration. All of my previous vehicles had one except for my last car, which was one of the biggest gripes against what was an overall fantastic car. I'll never own a car without one again and am so glad I have one in mine. You don't have to go to the track to appreciate what a LSD has to offer.

Last edited by NoVACayman; 12-01-2020 at 05:54 PM.
ekam (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

If the skittering behavior is new, I agree with the tire compound thought. When it gets cold the Pilot Sports on myCayman do that. It just does it with two wheels instead of one.
ekam (12-02-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I have a guard LSD in the racecar, but the LSD install was part of my initial build, so don't have a pre-installed reference.

Speaking in very large generalities. I'm guessing your issue would be a difference in tire compound rather than LSD. I would think to notice the difference you would need to be pushing well beyond what would get you in trouble with Leo.

But when you need more traction a LSD is a fantastic cheap(relatively) way to add substancil traction and balance.
Same here- bought my 981 with a Guard installed already. I really think it puts power down very well in aggressive driving/DE.

As for “skipping”- not sure where OP is located but that sounds like something that can happen in cold weather with cold summer tires. Common here in the Northeast this time of year if people get caught with their pants down and haven’t swapped tires yet.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:52 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

I bought an OEM diff with new plates but was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a wavetrac so if anyone wants the factory diff, I'll sell it cheap.

Quick Reply: LSD discussion