Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 02:28 PM
dvasko
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery Tender Recommendation

Looking for a battery tender recommendation for my 2015 Cayman GTS. Lots of good threads on the forum already but unfortunately some of the model numbers have changed. Seemed like the CTEK MXS 5.0 was close. Would that be a good option, with an extension cable and Cig lighter adapter work or are there better options?
CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger $79.46
CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect Extension Cable, 8.2 Feet $11.38
CTEK 56-263 Comfort Connect Cig Plug, 1 Pack $9.99

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05 PM
DBWhite
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I use
this one this one
with the extension cable and cig plug. It has functioned perfectly for the past year.
The following 2 users liked this post by DBWhite:
CaymanCarver (09-10-2020), dvasko (09-02-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 01:56 PM
dvasko
Track Day

The CTEK MXS 5.0 is working fine. The extension cable allows the charger to remain outside of the car just in case there is a catastrophic failure. Thanks to forum for the reminder to lock the car to keep the cig plug active.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:25 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

I keep my my Porsche brand (same as CTEK) charger plugged into the cig plug in the console or the footwell plug and now my newly installed smoker package plug. All three of the plugs stay active for charging with the car unlocked. I have read on a previous post either here or on P9 that some cars cig plugs time out with the cars unlocked and others stay active. My 2014 CS happens to be one of cars that can be charged unlocked. You might give yours a try if you prefer to keep your car unlocked.
Jim
Old 09-09-2020, 09:22 AM
dvasko
Track Day

Jim,

Mine timed out after about 10 minutes. I suspect they made the change in 2015?

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-09-2020, 01:39 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

I see that you have the smoker package cig plug that makes it a lot easier to connect the charger. I got tired of standing on my head to plug in the foot well socket or reaching behind me to use the console plug so I installed the smoker package in my CS. I have installed the full function PSE with the console button and the third radiator and several other DIY projects, but the smoker package installation may have been the most challenging of all. I had to remove the complete console, shifter, PCM, A/C controls, trim and carpet behind the seat. A new wiring harness to power the 12V socket and led light had to be installed and fastened to the underside of the metal console frame to replace the old harness. I am now glad that I have it as I also have two additional USB easy to access charging ports that I can plug into the cig plug and the cool little door to cover it all up. And to think the smoker package was a no cost option that a lot of people did not order.

I followed your search for your GTS with PTV on a previous post and it looks like you found the GTS you were looking for. What other options does you car have and where did you end up finding it?
Jim
Old 09-09-2020, 01:56 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a MY 14 so I'm not sure if the time-out applies but I didn't want to connect via the cigarette lighter and close the door on the wire. I find that hooking the CTEK cable directly to the battery terminals and having the connector live in the wiper valley out of sight allows for easy hook-up when I park in the garage. I've had this on the car for nearly six years.

Connector in the wiper valley

Connector on the battery terminals

Plugged in
The following 2 users liked this post by slivel:
CaymanCarver (09-10-2020), Nate Tempest (02-12-2022)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by slivel
I have a MY 14 so I'm not sure if the time-out applies but I didn't want to connect via the cigarette lighter and close the door on the wire. I find that hooking the CTEK cable directly to the battery terminals and having the connector live in the wiper valley out of sight allows for easy hook-up when I park in the garage. I've had this on the car for nearly six years.
Plugged in
I also have a similar system I installed on my 2014 CS but I installed it more for emergencies to jump start or get access to the frunk if I would get a dead battery. I bought a 42” long 10 gauge harness from Anti-gravity Battery and connected the the positive to the battery terminal and the ground to the chassis ground so it will not damage the LIN control battery sensor if I would need to jump start. This harness has a XP1/XP3 EC5 female connector that connects to a 12V lithium mini jump starter that I store behind the seat. I also keep the connector with a weather proof cap by the windshield wiper. This keeps me from using the pop out power terminal in the fuse box to power the frunk release if you have a dead battery and I am able to jump start the car if needed.
I can also charge the battery with this harness but usually still use the cig port as it seems to be a little bit quicker for me.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
BoulderGeek (09-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Recommendation