Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Boxster S Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:32 PM
erahm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Boxster S Sport Exhaust

After selling my 2008 Boxster Base I'm now shopping for a 2013-2015 Boxster S. My current requirements are black color, PDK, Sport Wheel, and maybe the Sport Exhaust. After hearing a complaint about the Sport Exhaust volume at non-open mode, I'm not sure I want this adder. This vehicle will be my daily driver and a vehicle my wife and I will take on weekend trips. My question is if the non-open mode is louder than the standard S model exhaust or are they basically the same volume until the magic button is pushed? Thanks for any insights you can share to help me make this decision. It appears only about 10% of the S models for sale have the Sport Exhaust, so the shopping is much more limited.

Edward Rahm
Chattanooga, TN

PS: Let me know if you have a vehicle like this you are looking to sell.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:59 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 115 Posts

Sport exhaust is quite inside the cabin with it fully open. When it's closed it almost as low as the standard exhaust. I would say it's fully worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarAholic:
erahm (08-20-2020), Viper pilot (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

My 2013 BS has PSE. I don't find it any louder than my former 09 Boxster unless you are in the throttle with it on. I'd recommend Sports Chrono and ventilated seats as two other options you should have. Watch for warped door cards with non-leather and delaminated headlights.
The following users liked this post:
erahm (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:06 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

PSE can be retrofitted after the fact if need be. Might take a base car and see if you like that. You can still hear it of course and it sounds good.
The following users liked this post:
erahm (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:57 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

The PSE is just as quiet as the stock exhaust with the valves closed (PSE off). With the valves open (PSE on), it's not much louder than stock at cruising speed. But when you step on the gas, it will give you the glorious sound. It will be even louder if you turn the Sport mode on.

Yes, PSE can be retrofitted but it is not cheap. If you buy new, the parts alone will cost you about $2K. The installation will be another $1400 or so if you use a Porsche dealer. IMHO, you should look for a car with PSE if you want it.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:53 PM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

There aren't many people that have a direct A/B comparison in the same car, but I am one of them.

I bought my 2015 Cayman S with the base exhaust. I really liked it; yes, it's on the quieter end for a sports car, but Boxsters and Caymans are on the loud end to begin with compared to a BMW sedan or a Camry. It definitely makes nice sounds when you put your foot down. My only complaint with it was that on the track it was hard to hear the car with all the wind noise, which made it harder to gauge when to shift.

I found a used PSE from a local seller and bought it for a fair price. I installed it myself with a Soul valve controller, which didn't require going to the dealer to program the car. Here's my verdict: in "quiet" mode, it sounds very good but it is absolutely louder than the base exhaust. I would speculate and say 10-20% louder with the windows up. In "loud" mode it sounds rowdy and glorious, but it is definitely loud. Fantastic for sports driving or running around town, borderline intolerable for highway driving IMO. It definitely drones around 2200 rpm, which is where you always seem to be on the highway. There is no noticeable drone in quiet mode. Still, the difference between "loud" and "quiet" PSE modes is smaller than the difference between "quiet" PSE vs. the base exhaust.

My car isn't a daily. For my needs, I'm happy with the PSE. If it were my daily and I were using it for highway trips, talking on the phone on bluetooth, etc. I would have been happier with the base exhaust.

Last edited by Schroedinger; 08-20-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster S Sport Exhaust