Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 2016 981 GTS - Help with PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 PM
bcely24
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2016 981 GTS - Help with PPI?

Hey guys,

I am in the process of buying a CPO 2016 Cayman GTS - 20k miles - 3 owners - with PDK from a Private Seller. Buying from a guy in Southern California and will be shipping the car to myself in Florida (I do not want to fly out and road trip it so seeing it is not an option). I realize getting a reliable PPI will be important.

What exactly do I need to tell the third party inspector to look for/make sure they check out? I don't know much about cars so any of the basics are appreciated!

Thank you all!
Old 08-05-2020, 12:26 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

first of all congrats!

what city is it in?

PPI from so cal Porsche dealerships aren't cheap, but maybe you can find reputable indy shop nearby and save some money.... Yelp is a good resource

anybody worth their weight will no what to look for
Old 08-08-2020, 01:08 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Callas Rensport, Torrance, CA

Tony Callas is the owner, one of the absolute best in class.

When I bought my 2015 Cayman GTS last October, I couldn't take it to Tony as I live too far away (4 hurs). So, I took it to Porsche of Burlingame (Bay Area). They missed a few minor things..about $300. Tony won't miss anything. Tony will know where to look. If he hasn't the time, he'll tell you where to go for a good, solid PPI. Tell him Martin, from POC referred you.

One other thing about Cayman GTS cars, they have quite a bit of aluminum on them. You can't count on a Paint Meter to detect body re-paint.

Be sure to do a:
  • CarFax must be clean,
  • PIWIS scan looking for any faults
  • There is a small aero splitter under the front bumper, it could have been scraped off
  • The leading edge of the front fender liners can get ground off, a sign of track driving,
  • Excess heat will turn the brake calipers purplish, this also means the car has probably been tracked,
  • Soft glass, the windshield may be pitted, track driving accelerates this,
  • If there were time, have an oil analysis done,
  • Join Planet 9, it's a Cayman enthusiast Forum. You can post your question there.

The following users liked this post:
FutureCaymanGuy (01-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Buying 2016 981 GTS - Help with PPI?