Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advisor's Sapphire Blue 981 Cayman GTS Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:26 PM
tlaritz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW, what does the Sport Suspension option include? Is this the option to lowers the vehicle?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:59 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaritz
BTW, what does the Sport Suspension option include? Is this the option to lowers the vehicle?

Thanks.
that is the X73 suspension
lowers the car 20mm

top of the list in my must haves when i was searching for mine.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Never was a fan of the blue, but I am now!!!

she is stunning!!!!

congrats!!!
Thank you! She has a way of converting people.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. And, obviously, your car is beautiful!

I'm going to drive a GTS (Sapphire Blue!) with PDK on Monday. My hope is that the PDK will always keep me in the peak torque band. So, I should know a lot more after Monday.

If only my GT4 had a PDK, I suspect I would keep it. I'd just have to endure the harsh suspension.

Thanks.
No problem...and thanks for the compliment! Please report back after your test drive. I only see 2 Sapphire Blue's listed for sale in the country (TX & NV). Take a pic if you can. I'm curious as to what your impression will be. Not sure of your driving style but for comparison, whether with the GTS or my previous '15 Carrera S I NEVER drive in 'normal' mode. I am always in sport mode & when I'm really on it I will paddle shift myself to make sure I am in the right gear. Sport mode is definitely worlds different from normal mode but it still won't keep you in the 4000-6500 rpm range all the time unless you are really on it. Of course Sport+ will hold until redline which feels a bit overkill for normal road driving. Even with the Sport Suspension I'm guessing it will still feel more compliant than your GT4. I'm the wrong one to talk about ride feel though. I could daily my GT3 with no problem whatsoever.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

Good points colnago60. I remember seeing an extensive post debating available gear ratios and final drive ratios for the GT4. Updating the ratios looks like a non-trivial cost, however. But it is certainly an option to remembver.

I have found and skimmed your extensive thread wrt DSC controller. Your patience is commendable. It is a relatively inexpensive upgrade and easy to install. This too I will keep in mind.

If I were to go with one or both of those routes, I think I'd want to wait for my CPO to expire. I would hate to invalidate the CPO because I (perhaps incorrectly) assume that the CPO would cover the GT4 3rd gear failure should it occur.

I still suspect I will like the PDK in the GTS. But it'll be hard to give up the 3.8 l engine.

Sad isn't it that I have such worries when folks are loosing their jobs and loved ones?

Unfortunately, I don't have the pockets to "resolve either issue", with regards to gearing, or power/TQ, as some life expenses are taking priority. For me, Its not the tall gearing in the GT4 that's the issue, but the gearing, coupled with the "tall cams", as well as the flat spot between 4k - 5k RPMs that make the car feel like it has no urgency. I'll have to choose wisely on my path as I won't have the budget for a 4.5L "and" gearing changes.

For me, I think if the car had 40-50ft lbs, more, I'd be good. Its seeming like a catless header/tune is the least expensive path, but about the same as the re-gear/lw flywheel. That said, a PDK GTS with some header change may put you where you want to be. I think I'd be good with stock power, but different gearing, but I had the 3rd gear recall work done when I picked up the car in August. I'm reluctant to crack open a new tranny, that's under warranty, especially when I may still have a motor issue.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:21 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Anyone relatively local to the Philadelphia area with SOUL headers on their 981 w/ PSE? Trying to make a decision & can’t quite make up my mind. HELP! 😩
Old 08-14-2021, 01:26 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Happy Saturday! Any tire experts out there want to weigh in on what’s going on with the two front tires on my CGTS? When getting gas this week I noticed this line going down both tires. The tires have seen a little bit of DE time by my wife in the beginner group. They are the old MPSS & the date on them is ‘1017’.
Attached Images   
Old 08-14-2021, 01:38 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I would not represent myself as a tire expert but the cracks in between the treads seem to me as if it is drying out, if it were me I would look into new tires all around
Old 08-14-2021, 09:58 PM
Gotshotgun
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Beautiful car. I LOVE that blue. Your tires look tired. Dried out. If it were my beautiful sports car, I'd throw a fresh set on without thinking twice about it.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:28 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Once you get new tires, drive straight to a good alignment shop.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Love mine. Dundon intake runners, Dundon catless headers, Dundon Protune, Techart paddle shifters and stock PSE mufflers. Chef's kiss!

The following 3 users liked this post by John H:
Advisor (08-17-2021), CaymanCarver (08-15-2021), Turboale (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:20 PM
crazeazn
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump for a fellow Houstonian. I hope you come to some Catalina events, I'd love to see your car in person.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I would not represent myself as a tire expert but the cracks in between the treads seem to me as if it is drying out, if it were me I would look into new tires all around
Originally Posted by Gotshotgun
Beautiful car. I LOVE that blue. Your tires look tired. Dried out. If it were my beautiful sports car, I'd throw a fresh set on without thinking twice about it.
Thanks. I love it too. Although she gets a lot of unwanted attention. That goes with the territory though.

Originally Posted by TMc993
Once you get new tires, drive straight to a good alignment shop.

Thanks for the feedback all. In the back of my head, I was already thinking the same, I guess I just needed confirmation. New Michelin P4S's have been ordered & will be mounted before the week is out.
The following users liked this post:
Gotshotgun (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:04 AM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

delete
Old 08-17-2021, 10:06 AM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crazeazn
Bump for a fellow Houstonian. I hope you come to some Catalina events, I'd love to see your car in person.
I don't know if I can call myself a Houstonian just yet. Closed on a home this summer & it is currently being worked on. Looking forward to the longer 'summer' season & any driving/track or cars & coffee events. Any link you can direct me to for the Catalina events?

Quick Reply: Advisor's Sapphire Blue 981 Cayman GTS Journal