Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Replacement for 981 With Bose System

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 09:23 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by tomekz
Crutchfield doesn't show any options for speakers for the Cayman.
You're right! I'm shocked. Well, it's honestly just a matter of pulling out the stock speaker and taking measurements (build a mounting bracket if necessary). If using factory amp/hu, maybe build a small harness for plug and play. I've got to imagine theres some vendors out there who are more familiar w/ the stock setup in this car to give more specific advice.

Last edited by IndigoInkTaco; 02-09-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:46 AM
DonJuan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

****e! I love my Bose system. And I’m guy who anyway add aftermarket system. I don’t know what level Bose I have. I will say highs aren’t bright or crisp as I like but low end is nice overall I’m content
Old 02-09-2022, 10:01 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by tomekz
Crutchfield doesn't show any options for speakers for the Cayman.
You got me curious about everything so I started googling. I see there's a vendor here, but for the DIY'ers I came across a nice thread on 718. He's still on there so I'm sure he can help answer questions. The thread has some great pics and info... https://www.718forum.com/threads/cay...upgrade.18416/
Old 02-09-2022, 10:32 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
You're right! I'm shocked. Well, it's honestly just a matter of pulling out the stock speaker and taking measurements (build a mounting bracket if necessary). If using factory amp/hu, maybe build a small harness for plug and play. I've got to imagine theres some vendors out there who are more familiar w/ the stock setup in this car to give more specific advice.
Four years ago I did the Musicar Dynaudio tweeter upgrade in my 981CS with Bose and it greatly improved the highs. I also disconnected the center speaker and the subwoofer. I then saw a thread by Rennspec that offered mid and woofer speaker upgrades with mounting and plug and play wiring adapters. The speaker options were Dynaudio, Audison and a couple of others. I purchased the Audison AP8 woofers and the Audison Voce midrange AV3.0 for the door locations. I also found several threads by Musicar and others detailing the recommended sound insulating that helps with upgraded speakers as well as stock OEM speakers. I used Dynamat extreme and Soundskin to insulate the outer door skin, the middle plastic panel and the door card. I went overboard and even installed Blackhole tiles on the outer door skins and yes I added about 3 pounds to each door.

I know the weak link in my system is now the stock Bose amp but I do not want to go to the expense of a new amp and the Most adapter. Musicar is now offering three stages of upgrade for 991/981’s that includes new amps in stage 2 and 3 and new mids and woofers in stage 3 and all stages get new tweeters. I am currently into my installation and am waiting on some missing clips from Porsche and some warmer weather to complete my installation. I don’t expect a great improvement because of the Bose stock amp but want to make the most with out overspending on a complete system. I see that Rennspec is no longer in business but if you go to their site and click on the eBay link they still have some adapters for sale and i am impressed with the quality of their components.
Jim
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim981CS:
Chrismalberts (02-09-2022), DriverDaily (02-16-2022), IndigoInkTaco (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 01:58 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I put a full stereo in my 981, although I started with the base system. I have carplay/AA, bluetooth, and can play flac files off usb now (my preferred method). I went a bit overboard on the speakers and did 8 " woofers and 4" mids in the doors, tweeters in the normal location - fairly high end too. IMO don't spend too much on the speakers. The noisy cabin will make you hit diminishing returns on your investment very quickly (although it'll sound great when parked I suppose). The biggest upgrade was the DSP to correctly time the speakers to the drivers position and flatten out the EQ. Made a world of difference in sound quality.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:57 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

The main thing thing needs is "room correction". I'm tempted to take some measurements using REW and implement a fix using my CarPlay adapter's 10band or so (forgot off hand) EQ.

But agreed, the road noise in this car will dominate anything. It not worth spending money on imo.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:07 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

I replaced my entire stereo here. Driving around town or at a stop light it sounds incredible.

If you are concerned about the effect of road noise, just do the tweeters. You still hear all that extra detail and clarity at 70mph.

I completely lose the bass as the tires and engine takeover on the highway. This might be partly because I have a GTS with the sound tube passing drone into the cabin.

If I had more time to dedicate to this project I would look into speed based EQ as well as 3M thinsulate around the wheel wells and rear hatch area.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 02-10-2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:35 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
I replaced my entire stereo here. Driving around town or at a stop light it sounds incredible.

If you are concerned about the effect of road noise, just do the tweeters. You still hear all that extra detail and clarity at 70mph.

I completely lose the bass as the tires and engine takeover on the highway. This might be partly because I have a GTS with the sound tube passing drone into the cabin.

If I had more time to dedicate to this project I would look into speed based EQ as well as 3M thinsulate around the wheel wells and rear hatch area.

Speed based EQ sounds fun to tune... hah. I got some sound deadening for the rear hatch and I think it made a slight difference in terms of road noise, but nothing game changing. There is zero factory sound deadening under the carpet iirc, it's just bare metal.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:00 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

I had Bose in the 991 and the highs can be fatiguing after a while.

I realize the general public loves cranking up the treble to +6....because it sounds "clear"...but it doesn't good to me.
I never did get around to doing the tweeter upgrade before selling the car.
If I buy another porsche with bose, i will most likely swap out the tweeter.

P.S. I mix audio professionally for live events.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:11 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses
Speed based EQ sounds fun to tune... hah. I got some sound deadening for the rear hatch and I think it made a slight difference in terms of road noise, but nothing game changing. There is zero factory sound deadening under the carpet iirc, it's just bare metal.
I installed Sport headers and then PSE on my 981CS with PDK and even with the PSE turned off I was getting some drone in 7th gear at lower rpm. Even though the bare trunk floor had ribbing it sounded like a drum when I tapped on it, so I went overboard and installed Dynamat extreme on the trunk floor, wheel wheel wells and even the top and front of the engine enclosure. I even put the three layer foam DynaPad over the carpet and under the rubber trunk mat and under the carpet on the engine cover and the carpet behind the seat. I did not take sound measurements but at cruising speed the road noise is reduced and can now hear music and take a phone call. My wife was even happy with the noise level on our last road trip and it still sounds great with the PSE on above 5K.😌
Jim
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim981CS:
DriverDaily (02-11-2022), ElCid86 (12-28-2022), various cheeses (02-11-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 03:33 PM
Mike Dodd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

turn off all the BOSE enhancements, other than sound pilot. Also if you didn't disable HD Radio what I notice in mine is sounds great on FM then goes to crap, then eventually comes back. Its behind the scenes switching from HD to regular FM radio. I think the BOSE sounds fantastic in my 2014 CS, so much so I find myself just sitting in the car listening to music in my garage!

Quick Reply: Speaker Replacement for 981 With Bose System