Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4 Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 06:22 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes that one. Still have to install the lip. The DRL’s that cane with it looked good just like OEM but since I have a GTS I just transferred over my OEM ones.

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Nice!

So this is the kit you got? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part.../0ecs981gt4ft/

shows it comes with DRL's and what looks like the rear defuses and pretty much everything you needed including the ducts too?!!

Not bad for $1850

please post pics asap
The following 2 users liked this post by 9Gyarah:
FerdinandAG (01-04-2021), SoCal-NSX (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M///
Yes that one. Still have to install the lip. The DRL’s that cane with it looked good just like OEM but since I have a GTS I just transferred over my OEM ones.
Are you going to keep the GTS sticker? I might keep the OE DRL as well and swap over, or i might as well use the one's that come with the kit just to keep the old bumper intact as much as possible for easy swaps. also i have front parking sensors, the kit i ordered did state it has front sensor brackets. see LINK HERE
Hardware: - Bumper Cover
- Lower Lip Spoiler
- Daytime Running Lights
- Radiator Grilles + Mesh
- License Plate Holder
- Parking Sensor Brackets
- Headlight Washer Brackets

But two sensors are on my DRL bracket, and the two others in the center. see below, looks like i might have to drill. ( pic was right after PPF, i went back after a while to make cutouts for the two front sensors )
Also noticed the DRL bracket on the new kit looks a tad bit different, curious to see if i can use mines since they have the sensor holes, ( all GTS models have sensor hole cut out by the way but cars not equipped have blank covers on them )
Attachment 1344013
Old 01-20-2020, 07:06 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jacob Sami
Are you going to keep the GTS sticker? I might keep the OE DRL as well and swap over, or i might as well use the one's that come with the kit just to keep the old bumper intact as much as possible for easy swaps. also i have front parking sensors, the kit i ordered did state it has front sensor brackets. see LINK HERE
- Lower Lip Spoiler
- Daytime Running Lights
- License Plate Holder

But two sensors are on my DRL bracket, and two other in the center see below, looks like i might have to drill. ( that was right after PPF, i went back after a while to make cutouts for the two front sensors )
yes. This kit had markings for the sensors as well but I didn’t trust myself to make any holes. What do you mean by GTS sticker? You mean the rear and side where it says gts? Yes I would keep that. It’s still a gts.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

- Lower Lip Spoiler
- Daytime Running Lights
- License Plate Holder

But two sensors are on my DRL bracket, and the two others in the center. see below, looks like i might have to drill. ( pic was right after PPF, i went back after a while to make cutouts for the two front sensors )
Also noticed the DRL bracket on the new kit looks a tad bit different, curious to see if i can use mines since they have the sensor holes, ( all GTS models have sensor hole cut out by the way but cars not equipped have blank covers on them )
That looks identical to the ECS one so I think it’s the same Taiwan vendor. Let me know what it says behind the part. That should confirm it. Take any part and read off what’s written behind it. Would be good to confirm. If yours comes with the rear GT4 diffuser then that’s a better price than ECS.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

That looks identical to the ECS one so I think it’s the same Taiwan vendor. Let me know what it says behind the part. That should confirm it. Take any part and read off what’s written behind it. Would be good to confirm. If yours comes with the rear GT4 diffuser then that’s a better price than ECS.
Rear Diffuser is sold separately for around $350, so i am not going down that route till i find a plain black one with sensor holes, or go CF front and back to keep sensor holes. ( i have seen some 981"s with sensors located on top of the diffuser, not willng to drill though ) they really do help me on parking, the car is a bit low on x73 and making sure i do not hit a curb while parking in the front , yep ill keep them, and yes i will report back in detail. plus i already have the GT4 wing,Duckbill and scoops, i can complete the look.
Attachment 1344012
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 398 Posts

Your cars look great guys!!

lmk, if one of you want to sell your GTS front ends

also, just curious how much was it for paint job?

Once again they look great!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:36 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Rear Diffuser is sold separately for around $350, so i am not going down that route till i find a plain black one with sensor holes, or go CF front and back to keep sensor holes. ( i have seen some 981"s with sensors located on top of the diffuser, not willng to drill though ) they really do help me on parking, the car is a bit low on x73 and making sure i do not hit a curb while parking in the front , yep ill keep them, and yes i will report back in detail. plus i already have the GT4 wing,Duckbill and scoops, i can complete the look.
Are those riveted to hold the wing or is that a GT4 hatch and wing? Looks good.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:37 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Your cars look great guys!!

lmk, if one of you want to sell your GTS front ends

also, just curious how much was it for paint job?

Once again they look great!
paid $600 for the paint. It all depends on whether they have to primer or not. If primer is needed they charge close to 1k.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 PM
Chris651
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished installing the ECS one and the fitment was 99%. Only trouble I had was on the undertray. I did a lot of research before deciding which one to go with. I did get the GT4 ducktail from Bayson R and fitment was 100%. I am almost 100% sure that ECS and Bayson R use the same vendor out of Taiwan so what you are getting is the same. What I did like about the one from ECS is that it inclued the GT4 diffuser so that's a $400 to $500 saving.

Before you decide to take this on, I have to warn you that it was a lot of work primarily because no instructions are included and I had to figure out a lot of stuff on my own by trial and error. If I was to do it again it would be straightforward.

I looked at the ECS one but was under the understanding the bumper was FRP and not polypropylene. Can you confirm what the bumper is made of. Thanks for the heads up about there being no instructions. I use to own a 987 and did what people said couldn’t be done and installed a functioning GT3 third rad. I used all oem parts. I had to move a few pieces that were in the way but it turned out great. I might send you a PM if I run into any issues.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:47 PM
Chris651
Intermediate

Who did you buy it from?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:04 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris651
Who did you buy it from?
ECS or Bayson R will be the same, Both are POLYPROPYLENE and not FRP, Screw FRP man, i had too many cars in the past with that stuff learned my stuff a long time ago. Mines says it arrives on the 25-27th so ill take it apart and post pictures. All aftermarket requires some tweaking so make sure you have a good body shop. And both ECS & Bayson R clearly state no instructions as well. 1.6k vs over 6k for the real GT4, I am good on this :-)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

yes polypropylene. I Would never ever buy fiberglass. You need a lot of flex in the bumper to be able to install it. Yes if I had pointers or some help I would have saved a whole lot of headache. When you get your kit just shoot me a pm and I can walk you through it.

Originally Posted by Chris651
I looked at the ECS one but was under the understanding the bumper was FRP and not polypropylene. Can you confirm what the bumper is made of. Thanks for the heads up about there being no instructions. I use to own a 987 and did what people said couldn’t be done and installed a functioning GT3 third rad. I used all oem parts. I had to move a few pieces that were in the way but it turned out great. I might send you a PM if I run into any issues.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

ECS or Bayson R will be the same, Both are POLYPROPYLENE and not FRP, Screw FRP man, i had too many cars in the past with that stuff learned my stuff a long time ago. Mines says it arrives on the 25-27th so ill take it apart and post pictures. All aftermarket requires some tweaking so make sure you have a good body shop. And both ECS & Bayson R clearly state no instructions as well. 1.6k vs over 6k for the real GT4, I am good on this :-)
+1 to what he said. I am all about oem always because of quality but for parts that need to be painted it’s all about fitment. If fitment is good I’ll always buy aftermarket. Paying 6k for just a bumper is plain silly.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:12 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

To summarize on ECS bumper:

Fitment for bumper to the body is 9.8/10.

The fitment to the undertray is 8/10 which is mostly because you would need to change some more parts to oem to make it 10/10.

To the naked eye looking at the bumper closely from the outside, no one can tell it is not OEM. Fitment looks 10/10. Just see the pictures. Only the installer can see any imperfections because they would have noticed them during the install. This is 100% worth it at less than 1/3rd the price.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 PM
Chris651
Intermediate

“M” that looks super hot. I have the same colour Cayman. After seeing your pics I’m ready to pull the trigger and order the kit. Did you order it from ECS? Can you tell me if the bumper is made of FRP or Poly cause their website doesn’t specify. Did you do end up doing the third rad? I personally think it’s one of the nicest bumpers in the Porsche family and it’s designed To work with a third rad which is another reason to get it. I thought about getting the Techart front splitter but for $1500 it still didn’t solve the extra cooling I’m looking for. Cheers

Quick Reply: GT4 Front Bumper