Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Again, that is an overpriced car. If you love it and don't care about losing money on it, buy it. That said, the low miles, clear bra, remaining warranty is not unique with these cars. Probably half of those for sale will meet those parameters.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:27 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Stea
yeah, he’s certainly over priced, but I haven’t even tried to negotiate yet. And the car is basically new. I’m willing to over pay a little bit as it is in immaculate condition, has factory warranty left, and already has clear bra, which I would put on it anyway. But just not sure what’s a fair price from both sides. Is low 70s still too high?
The guy is asking way too much. I don't care how many miles it has on it; in fact that's a bit of a concern. These cars were meant to be driven, mileage doesn't hurt anything as long as it's been properly maintained. Sitting around for 4 years might actually do more harm than good... except for the interior. Beige will stain quickly but this car was hardly ever sat in.

Put it this way- you will really have to love THIS SPECIFIC CAR to come close to justifying that outrageous price point. Which would be strange due to the interior color and minimal options. GTS cars are hard to find but not impossible, especially with PDK (manuals are a different story). Most cars like this will already have clearbra installed, and it's not even a big deal with less than 5k miles. There should still be plenty of CPO cars out there as well if having a warranty is important (I agree that it is).

You weren't kidding when you thought the price was high. If you find a link to the FS ad, I'd put up a "nice price or crack pipe" poll in this forum. I'd think this one would get close to 100% crack pipe.

I feel obligated to help find you a better car. What general area do you live in? You can find a car across the country and have it shipped unless yo have a trade-in, like I did... which is why I drove literally halfway across the country to pick mine up. No regrets.

edit: I just glanced at the Porsche used car inventory- you could get a CPO GT4 for around what this guy is asking (mid-$80k). Still with relatively low miles and again, mileage doesn't matter for these cars for warranty purposes or even wear and tear if they're being taken care of.

CRACK. PIPE.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-27-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:57 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 311 Posts

Just an observation.
On the site listed above : nationalpreownedporsche
Interesting to see 5 pages of 718 GTS's
However, only 5!! 981 GTS's !!
Old 12-27-2019, 04:14 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The guy is asking way too much. I don't care how many miles it has on it; in fact that's a bit of a concern. These cars were meant to be driven, mileage doesn't hurt anything as long as it's been properly maintained. Sitting around for 4 years might actually do more harm than good... except for the interior. Beige will stain quickly but this car was hardly ever sat in.

Put it this way- you will really have to love THIS SPECIFIC CAR to come close to justifying that outrageous price point. Which would be strange due to the interior color and minimal options. GTS cars are hard to find but not impossible, especially with PDK (manuals are a different story). Most cars like this will already have clearbra installed, and it's not even a big deal with less than 5k miles. There should still be plenty of CPO cars out there as well if having a warranty is important (I agree that it is).

You weren't kidding when you thought the price was high. If you find a link to the FS ad, I'd put up a "nice price or crack pipe" poll in this forum. I'd think this one would get close to 100% crack pipe.

I feel obligated to help find you a better car. What general area do you live in? You can find a car across the country and have it shipped unless yo have a trade-in, like I did... which is why I drove literally halfway across the country to pick mine up. No regrets.

edit: I just glanced at the Porsche used car inventory- you could get a CPO GT4 for around what this guy is asking (mid-$80k). Still with relatively low miles and again, mileage doesn't matter for these cars for warranty purposes or even wear and tear if they're being taken care of.

CRACK. PIPE.
I feel obligated to help find you a better car.“

Love it - @ manifold danger is obligated - take him up on that as he’s been around here and generally has solid feedback and info.

As others have said unless you’re “ over the moon “ on this particular car take your time and shop a bit. Don’t let higher mileage cars scare you, I have 33K miles on my 2016 CGTSand it’s been absolutely reliable.

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Nick Stea
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger

CRACK. PIPE.
thanks @maifold danger!
I’ve been on and off looking at a 981 GTS for years... I’m not totally sold on this particular one (price is too high) I’ll continue to look. However, if you by chance come across at GTS with the following please PM me with the link. Not all of these variables are mandatory, and I listed them in order of importance. This build would would be my dream car:

- white or CWM
- black interior (preferably GTS package)
- the lower the miles the better
- back up camera and sensors
- Proximity keyless entry (entry and drive)
- PASM
- pdk, but manual is ok too
- 18 way power seats
- nav/bose

I’m located in Arizona, so the closer to me the better.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone on this forum, you’ve been very helpful.

PS -
the gts tail lights are LED, correct?

Old 12-28-2019, 01:00 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Stea
thanks @maifold danger!
I’ve been on and off looking at a 981 GTS for years... I’m not totally sold on this particular one (price is too high) I’ll continue to look. However, if you by chance come across at GTS with the following please PM me with the link. Not all of these variables are mandatory, and I listed them in order of importance. This build would would be my dream car:

- white or CWM
- black interior (preferably GTS package)
- the lower the miles the better
- back up camera and sensors
- Proximity keyless entry (entry and drive)
- PASM
- pdk, but manual is ok too
- 18 way power seats
- nav/bose

I’m located in Arizona, so the closer to me the better.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone on this forum, you’ve been very helpful.

PS -
the gts tail lights are LED, correct?
No worries, this is my idea of fun.

As for led's honestly I'm not sure. The GTS tail lights are "smoked" (I can't tell the difference), but other than that the same as other 981s as far as I know. They look great and a lot of folks prefer the 981 tails to the 718.

Obviously with limited inventory you'll very likely have to make some compromises. This one is the closest I could find that's CPO at a Porsche dealer, which would be my preferred way to purchase. Not that dealers aren't capable of being crooks, it's just that you at least have the backing of the manufacturer if anything goes south. I'm sure there are great examples with private sellers but you still don't have a full history of the car. Unless they have an extended warranty already on the car IMO you're better off going CPO while the 981s are still available with them.

Here are a couple cars to consider, if you have to have it in white (I get it, mine is CWM too):

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...allic+30280283

This one is "relatively" close, as in the same side of the country. It also has a few miles, and doesn't have a couple of the creature comforts you'd prefer as it doesn't have comfort access or a backup camera; I think you've uncovered the fact that backup cameras were just avoided for these cars for some reason and they're the least common option you'll find out there. It also has X73- which again, in my opinion is the suspension to have in these cars. You're also getting PTV which is probably just as rare as a backup camera but is a true performance option and a good one at that. It may not hit all the notes so I'm not necessarily suggesting you run out and buy this car but I do think you'd be very happy with it overall.

This one though is in your "backyard":

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Still asking a lot though, and only has a few months left on the original warranty. Worth looking into though if you're close to scottsdale.

One last thing; have you considered a Boxster? I was in the same position you were almost exactly two years ago, in the market for a Cayman exclusively, but once I saw the limited inventory I opened up my scope to include Boxsters and discovered they're literally the same car but with a retractable roof. Having never owned nor really experienced a convertible before I didn't actually know what I was missing. Looking back now I think I'd pick a Boxster over a Cayman. Something to think about.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

I'd been looking at Boxster GTS for two years as an upgrade from my 09 BS PDK with Sport/Sport+. Having been doing 4 or 5 DEs a year for the last three years so wanted Sports Chrono, PASM (or X73), Alcantara delete and ventilated seats. Only five or six GTS cars on all the sites, preowned, Autotrader and Cars.com with these options. Prices at or near $70K for a 2016. Could not rationalize that much plus the additional cost of track insurance. Found a 2013 BS with Sports Chrono, PASM, PSE, and PVT with 30K miles for $40K. Car has one left rear minor collision with repainted left quarter and bumper as reported in the CarFax. PPP said the car had been "babied", but needed new rotors. Full four year service in 2017. Will be taking adjustable LCAs off the 09 and putting on the 2013 along with all new rotors, race pads, Tarett brake studs, 18" wheels from Tire Rack with Hankook RS4s and grill guards. Flying my son in from CA to Northern VA to help with the project. Still plan on driving to the DEs at Summit Point and finally getting to VIR this year. A hitch for a tire trailer might be an option later in the year. I have a trailer, but adding a tow hook to the 981 is a bigger project than the 987.2 Worried about inside tread wear assuming -2.5 camber if I drive to and back from VIR.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I'd been looking at Boxster GTS for two years as an upgrade from my 09 BS PDK with Sport/Sport+. Having been doing 4 or 5 DEs a year for the last three years so wanted Sports Chrono, PASM (or X73), Alcantara delete and ventilated seats. Only five or six GTS cars on all the sites, preowned, Autotrader and Cars.com with these options. Prices at or near $70K for a 2016. Could not rationalize that much plus the additional cost of track insurance. Found a 2013 BS with Sports Chrono, PASM, PSE, and PVT with 30K miles for $40K. Car has one left rear minor collision with repainted left quarter and bumper as reported in the CarFax. PPP said the car had been "babied", but needed new rotors. Full four year service in 2017. Will be taking adjustable LCAs off the 09 and putting on the 2013 along with all new rotors, race pads, Tarett brake studs, 18" wheels from Tire Rack with Hankook RS4s and grill guards. Flying my son in from CA to Northern VA to help with the project. Still plan on driving to the DEs at Summit Point and finally getting to VIR this year. A hitch for a tire trailer might be an option later in the year. I have a trailer, but adding a tow hook to the 981 is a bigger project than the 987.2 Worried about inside tread wear assuming -2.5 camber if I drive to and back from VIR.

That has got to be one the highest optioned boxster s out there. Beautiful! And an amazing buy at $40k. Well done!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 981 GTS