Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio shorted ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Bull90joe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Radio shorted ????

We have a 2014 Cayman and love it ! But we had a battery go dead over the winter. I put in a new battery and car started right up .... BUT the radio goes on for a few minutes then shuts off and cycles through (blank screen, Porsche Symbol floating around and radio turns back on.....) drive a few minutes and repeats -- over and over again. The GPS doesn't load, the menu doesn't load -- the CD doesn't work. I took it to my local Porsche dealer and they are saying I have a "Short" in the radio and I need a new one (well over $2,000). I want to know if there is anything else I can do ?? Has anyone else had this problem?? It looks to me that it is more of a program issue and wonder why I can just dump the entire car program and start over? The car is now stored for winter so I have time to figure out which way to go . Thank you all for any help !
Old 12-09-2019, 09:00 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull90joe
We have a 2014 Cayman and love it ! But we had a battery go dead over the winter. I put in a new battery and car started right up .... BUT the radio goes on for a few minutes then shuts off and cycles through (blank screen, Porsche Symbol floating around and radio turns back on.....) drive a few minutes and repeats -- over and over again. The GPS doesn't load, the menu doesn't load -- the CD doesn't work. I took it to my local Porsche dealer and they are saying I have a "Short" in the radio and I need a new one (well over $2,000). I want to know if there is anything else I can do ?? Has anyone else had this problem?? It looks to me that it is more of a program issue and wonder why I can just dump the entire car program and start over? The car is now stored for winter so I have time to figure out which way to go . Thank you all for any help !
I’m sorry to hear the radio is acting up. While I don’t have any experience with this particular issue, I thought I would share what I did with my ‘14 Cayman.

I only had the basic radio (no PCM and no GPS) and no rear camera. I have since swapped in a Pioneer headunit with wireless CarPlay and a reverse camera. You can get a unit that has gps and satellite radio if you like, or you can use the radio, CarPlay and usb/sd cards. Additionally, Porsche makes a Porsche-labeled trim piece that fits perfectly into the prior slot so it looks OEM.

just wanted to mention it in case you end up having to go down the route of replacing the radio. It would likely be cheaper and you’d get more functionality with an aftermarket headunit

Old 12-10-2019, 01:37 AM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I would try e-bay or I have also this place has used parts but have never ordered anything from them https://www.partssociety.com/ I did have my radio replaced under CPO shortly after I bought it, I think the radios that are put in these cars is terrible but I wanted the stock look so I probably would have bought used if I had replaced it at my cost, so many of these cars become Race cars or just have them replaced with a more modern radio, you might want to consider post in in classifieds WTB.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:56 AM
Bull90joe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry to take so long to get back to you -- thank you for the reply and ideas ! My car is stored now for the winter and I would like to get working on the radio problem. Can you give me information on the Radio you installed -- the Model or part number and anything else you maybe able to let me know that will help. I am a good mechanic but have never played with radios and replacement.
Thank you for you time and help! Joe Brzezowski Angola New York

Quick Reply: Radio shorted ????