Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 All Season Tire Mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019 | 05:14 PM
wsdickerson
2nd Gear

Default 981 All Season Tire Mismatch

I have a 2013 Boxster S with 20" wheels, PASM and PTV. Last year I changed the front to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires. It was time to replace the Pirelli P Zeros on the rear and the same tires were not available in 265/35-R20 so I went with Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S. I expected some difference due to the new tread depth and maybe all-season but not this. When changing lanes or on uneven pavement, the rear feels like it doesn't really want to follow the front. It does not oversteer on streets. Should I change within the 30 day trial period or give these a chance?

I live in Phoenix and will never drive in snow except possibly on a trip. I am considering changing to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S N0 which seems to have good ratings for wet or dry.

I've had Yokohamas on other cars but can't believe how it feels with those on the rear.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2019 | 06:56 PM
bvanlieu
Advanced

There are not a lot of HPAS tires for our sizes. Running such different tread compounds compromise handling, especially with staggered wheels and a car foundation that has neutral handling.

If you drive at 3/10ths...you won't notice. But that's IMHO not rational for street driving and this is a dangerous setup.

I do what I say: I have 2 sets of wheels one for cold season, one for warm season.

- b
The following users liked this post:
wsdickerson (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 10:27 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

You really need four tires that are the same brand, tread pattern and compound. The setup you currently have could prove disastrous for you if you get into an emergency braking or avoidance situation on the streets.

Last edited by TMc993; 08-01-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2019 | 02:42 AM
wsdickerson
2nd Gear

I'll switch - thanks.
Old 08-01-2019 | 02:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TMc993
You really need four tires that are the same brand, tread pattern and compound. The setup you currently have could prove disastrous for you if you get into an emergency braking or avoidance situation on the streets.
With all the electronic nannies I am raising the bullshyt flag I think this fear that mismatched tires is potentially disasterous is up there with Volvo ads that sell fear under the guise of safety.
Old 08-01-2019 | 04:24 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
With all the electronic nannies I am raising the bullshyt flag I think this fear that mismatched tires is potentially disasterous is up there with Volvo ads that sell fear under the guise of safety.
Okay...I certainly didn't intend to come across as a fearmonger. My comment was based on firsthand experience with mismatched tires, information from a number of people with more knowledge about tires than I possess and most importantly, the fact that the OP described a bothersome handling characteristic attributable to the mismatched tires during normal use:
Originally Posted by wsdickerson
When changing lanes or on uneven pavement, the rear feels like it doesn't really want to follow the front.
"Electronic nannies" work well most of the time, but they can be defeated in extreme situations, especially when the car isn't properly equipped. My comment was directed at those situations.

Regards.
Old 08-01-2019 | 04:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

'Electronic nannies' can also cause problems. Look up 'ice mode' for just one example.