Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 12:22 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to purchase

I am thiiiissss close to purchasing a 2015 981 PDK with 65k miles to be my new daily driver. One owner car with complete dealer servicing. 60k was fully done. Is there anything I may have missed in my research that would give me pause buying this car? Car drives well with no warning lights. Sitting on pretty fresh PS4s.

Couple of questions that I could not find answers to through searching:

Is there any easy way to program top operation from key?

Is there a way to change default audio source to bluetooth audio?

There is a male USB coming from the center tunnel trim on the passenger side. This car has the nav-tv front and rear camera set up. It also has an aftermarket blind spot monitor. Could those things be related to the mystery USB??

Am I crazy for buying (or not buying) an extended warranty?

Thank you Boxster experts for any help you can give!!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:09 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I installed two of these on two separate cars - works perfectly to control the top: https://www.motivemods.com/Mods4Cars...4c-sthbpe2.htm

If it had the 60K, that is a great bonus. I've always thought you buy at either 30k or 60k miles and basically get the same car... but at 60K a lot, lot less.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:27 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Thank you!

Edit 1: The USB for that top module and the presence of the male usb in the car is making me wonder if the car might already have this installed.

Edit 2: the under seat location of that module has me back to speculation of what that random usb might be.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 316 Posts

How do you feel about self insuring a possible 17k hit for a PDK replacement?
That's your risk versus an extended warranty. The PDK has been relatively bullet-proof, but there are failures. Otherwise the risks are few.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:34 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
Thank you!

Edit 1: The USB for that top module and the presence of the male usb in the car is making me wonder if the car might already have this installed.

Edit 2: the under seat location of that module has me back to speculation of what that random usb might be.
It could be - I put mine on a 987.1, and an e46 M3, the location of those would not indicate a USB there, but the location could be much different on the 981, not sure. In any case, the functionality was really awesome. I know it sounds strange now that I have a manual top, but hitting one button to open it all up as you are walking up to the car... can't be beat.

Pretty easy to see if installed - either try the key or look for the location. Either way, it was a super-simple job for only a few hundred.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:46 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
How do you feel about self insuring a possible 17k hit for a PDK replacement?
That's your risk versus an extended warranty. The PDK has been relatively bullet-proof, but there are failures. Otherwise the risks are few.
Ok, good to know. Might allow me to choose a lower level of warranty as long as it covers the entire pdk. Thank you!

Originally Posted by daylorb
It could be - I put mine on a 987.1, and an e46 M3, the location of those would not indicate a USB there, but the location could be much different on the 981, not sure. In any case, the functionality was really awesome. I know it sounds strange now that I have a manual top, but hitting one button to open it all up as you are walking up to the car... can't be beat.

Pretty easy to see if installed - either try the key or look for the location. Either way, it was a super-simple job for only a few hundred.
I know it does not have the one touch up and down, and that makes so much more sense than having to hold the buttons. When would we ever want to put the top up or down half way, lol

Quick Reply: About to purchase