Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have 981 GTS with kids ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Jooniper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have 981 GTS with kids ?

I am almost to buy a 981 GTS, currently owning Macan and Golf R. Would it be a bad idea to replace my daily drive Golf R to GTS? Still have a suv for a family ride but my kids may want to hop on and in case of emergency I can only take 2. I only drive 6miles a day
Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

Keep current cars, add GTS.

Or put one child in the frunk.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:46 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

I've owned a 981 Cayman GTS. It's certainly more of a performance car than the Golf R. It is however a two seater. If you foresee requiring more seating, pass it by and keep the Golf.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 PM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one child. Take him in my Cayman GTS regularly... Can fit one, can not fit two....
Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

one of the reasons I have a 996 Turbo, bring them both with a seat to spare
Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm confused by the OP's question... are you asking whether or not you can take 2 kids in the Cayman in case of an emergency? If so, the answer is no. If you may find yourself in a position where you need to take more than one passenger and the only car at your disposal is a 2-seater, then you will have a problem. My Porsches that I've owned over the years have not been my daily drivers for precisely this reason. My wife drives our family vehicle 99% of the time, but I also have a daily driver that is capable of taking the whole family when needed, because there are several occasions where I'm home with the kids and she's out with our main family vehicle. If the Macan is your family vehicle and your wife has it and you're home with the kids and the only car you have is your Cayman, you're stuck.

This doesn't seem like a Porsche-specific question though. The Cayman (and Boxster, and GT3) are two-seaters.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Jooniper
Advanced

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm confused by the OP's question... are you asking whether or not you can take 2 kids in the Cayman in case of an emergency? If so, the answer is no. If you may find yourself in a position where you need to take more than one passenger and the only car at your disposal is a 2-seater, then you will have a problem. My Porsches that I've owned over the years have not been my daily drivers for precisely this reason. My wife drives our family vehicle 99% of the time, but I also have a daily driver that is capable of taking the whole family when needed, because there are several occasions where I'm home with the kids and she's out with our main family vehicle. If the Macan is your family vehicle and your wife has it and you're home with the kids and the only car you have is your Cayman, you're stuck.

This doesn't seem like a Porsche-specific question though. The Cayman (and Boxster, and GT3) are two-seaters.
that’s exactly what I meant. I have one kid 5 yrs old, but planning another one, so I can have a 981 now but eventually I can get stuck. Thanks for the advice
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Jooniper
that’s exactly what I meant. I have one kid 5 yrs old, but planning another one, so I can have a 981 now but eventually I can get stuck. Thanks for the advice
No problem. Try having 3 kids. It really limits your options if you're only going to have 2 vehicles in the family. There is a surprising lack of fun 5 seaters out there. But if you have 3 vehicles, one can be a totally frivolous and impractical sports car.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
No problem. Try having 3 kids. It really limits your options if you're only going to have 2 vehicles in the family. There is a surprising lack of fun 5 seaters out there. But if you have 3 vehicles, one can be a totally frivolous and impractical sports car.
This is a good point. I also have a Macan as the "family" vehicle, and with two teenage boys and a lack of a formal "commute", I came to the conclusion that I no longer needed two cars that seated 4 so I replaced my M4 with a 981. It didn't take too long to realize that somehow I overlooked that there are certain situations that come up where you may just need those extra seats. Fortunately nothing catastrophic... but annoying nonetheless.

So now my oldest is old enough to drive so I bought him a Mazda3 that serves perfectly as a 3rd car. Balance has been restored to the world.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:46 AM
BobRx
Track Day

The obvious compromise is to look for a 911 rather than a 981. My 2 boys loved riding in the tiny back seats of my 2002 Turbo!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:52 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 358 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This is a good point. I also have a Macan as the "family" vehicle, and with two teenage boys and a lack of a formal "commute", I came to the conclusion that I no longer needed two cars that seated 4 so I replaced my M4 with a 981. It didn't take too long to realize that somehow I overlooked that there are certain situations that come up where you may just need those extra seats. Fortunately nothing catastrophic... but annoying nonetheless.

So now my oldest is old enough to drive so I bought him a Mazda3 that serves perfectly as a 3rd car. Balance has been restored to the world.

I am in the same boat, my Cayman S is my daily driver. Had a couple instances where I couldn’t pick up the kid AND their friends. Of course they said, we can sit on laps. NO, illegal and unsafe. Then the oldest got his license and that has helped those situations some. Daily driving a Cayman is wonderful.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:02 AM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Cayman is great for 1 kid, I sit in the passenger seat while my wife drives me around.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:04 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS
I am in the same boat, my Cayman S is my daily driver. Had a couple instances where I couldn’t pick up the kid AND their friends. Of course they said, we can sit on laps. NO, illegal and unsafe. Then the oldest got his license and that has helped those situations some. Daily driving a Cayman is wonderful.
Illegal and unsafe, but we used to do stuff like this all the time when I was a kid. We also rode around in the back of pickup trucks, and we are all still here! In a pinch, sure, but you won't want to make a habit of it.

I had a little access cab Toyota for a long time, and had to cram 3 kids and my wife in there. Even with the front bench seat, it was tight as the youngest was straddling the shifter! At least we all had lap belts

I sold it shortly afterward, as it was my daily. I still miss that truck. It probably got more attention than the GT4 we own now. People love them some Tacoma
Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Kg11
Illegal and unsafe, but we used to do stuff like this all the time when I was a kid. We also rode around in the back of pickup trucks, and we are all still here! In a pinch, sure, but you won't want to make a habit of it.

I had a little access cab Toyota for a long time, and had to cram 3 kids and my wife in there. Even with the front bench seat, it was tight as the youngest was straddling the shifter! At least we all had lap belts

I sold it shortly afterward, as it was my daily. I still miss that truck. It probably got more attention than the GT4 we own now. People love them some Tacoma
I like that story. I've always loved the Tacoma too. It's much bigger than those first gen access cabs that you were talking about, but this 3rd gen double cab is my daily driver:

Old 04-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I like that story. I've always loved the Tacoma too. It's much bigger than those first gen access cabs that you were talking about, but this 3rd gen double cab is my daily driver:
Nice! They have grown so much! Mine had a 2" lift and looked big (for the era, for a Tacoma) but it was really a "compact" truck and my son with his kid seat could barely squeeze in the back after a few years. My buddy put 400,000 miles on his 1997 4cy Taco before selling it. He said nothing was ever required beyond regular maintenance. They don't build vehicles like this anymore!

Quick Reply: Anyone have 981 GTS with kids ?