Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Audio DIY (for 981 base radio)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtualg
It sounds fine to me, and unless I upgrade the stock speakers, I don't know that I could detect any sound quality issues.

However, since i just got the car, I've only driven with the top and my right foot down. So, I'm not hearing much of anything but wind and the flat 6 .

The connection is great, very fast, great range, spec says 60 feet, but that's not necessary.

On paper, the JL should sound better since its using the aptx audio codec. The TP link is a2dp v 1.2.

However, I specifically wanted one that didn't have an audio indication when connecting.

All that said, I'll probably find another home for the TP link adapter and upgrade to the JL when I upgrade speakers, if I don't swap the head unit.

Cheers!
Makes sense. I still have the stock speaker/amp setup, but that's changing. I have Musicar's stage 2 system in a box at home; hopefully install this weekend or next. The engine/exhaust is definitely the primary stereo. This is a very distant second.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Treebeard
I changed the Call Audio Routing setting to bluetooth headset on my Iphone X - it's on automatic by by default. This allowed the incoming call to come through the car speakers and not drop when I tested it. Unfortunately, I still have to select the car PCM bluetooth source when the call comes in, which is annoyinig, but it seems like calls aren't dropping now. I'm guessing you're an Android user - there's probably a setting to specify a bluetooth source to be hands free. Unfortunately the Iphone just has a list of bluetooth sources and no fine tuning options other than the accessibilty setting I just mentioned afaik. Thanks for your suggestion, I wouldn't have thought to look for that setting otherwise.
Gotcha; that's annoying! Maybe try the "Auto answer calls" flag and set that to true for the PCM device?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Virtualg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I may be switching to the JL unit sooner rather than later. Arghh

The TP Link BT module doesn't always boot up. I think its a power issue with my cig. lighter adapter. If a new USB adapter doesn't solve it, I'm going to the JL unit.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Virtualg
Rennlist Member

Anu2g,

Sorry if I missed this in your install, but did you split the aux input and remount an additional aux input port in the glovebox panel?

If so, did you use an aftermarket Aux port?

I ended up returning the TP Link BT adpater, and am installing the JL unit this week. Damn thing wouldn't boot about 1/2 the time.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Anu2g,

Sorry if I missed this in your install, but did you split the aux input and remount an additional aux input port in the glovebox panel?

If so, did you use an aftermarket Aux port?

I ended up returning the TP Link BT adpater, and am installing the JL unit this week. Damn thing wouldn't boot about 1/2 the time.

Thanks
I didn't split it off, so my Aux port is now dedicated to the JL unit. Also, by the way, there is no audio tone on connection/boot-up; it just works without an audible alert. I was mistaken about that earlier. I will say that my the RCA to 3.5mm converter makes it really hard to fit everything in that little pocket. Try to be conscious of that when picking your adapter. Also, I didn't mount the JL unit; just kind of stuck it back there. After my first HPDE in the car, I now know that it needs to be mounted, otherwise it is flying around on very heavy braking. If I remember correctly, it has double-sided tape or velcro on back (which I didn't use, but now will).
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Virtualg
Rennlist Member

Thanks again.

Great advice on the HPDE event. You probably just saved me a bunch of time remounting the thing.

I'm still debating on an entire head unit replacement. My 09 Audi has better phone/audio integration than the 2014 Boxster.

Wishing I could've found all the options I wanted in one car. Still happy though.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Thanks again.

Great advice on the HPDE event. You probably just saved me a bunch of time remounting the thing.

I'm still debating on an entire head unit replacement. My 09 Audi has better phone/audio integration than the 2014 Boxster.

Wishing I could've found all the options I wanted in one car. Still happy though.
Glad to help. To be honest, I think the best route is to mount the JL unit somewhere outside the glove compartment and just run the JL's RCA up into the glove. Should not be much extra work. Once it's all wired up, the system performs very nicely. I don't miss anything other than being able to control from the car's display. I have my phone mounted right next to the head unit, and Android Auto has a nice big UI, so it works well for me. Doesn't feel like it's hacked together or anything. Also, the audio quality is very good.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Virtualg
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what i was thinking.

I think I'm going to mount it by the fuse box and run the Aux signal just like you described.

I'm going to try split the aux and run an aftermarket plug in the glove box face plate .

Will let you know what I come up with.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what i was thinking.

I think I'm going to mount it by the fuse box and run the Aux signal just like you described.

I'm going to try split the aux and run an aftermarket plug in the glove box face plate .

Will let you know what I come up with.
Cool. I'll probably copy whatever you come up with. Feel free to DM if I can be helpful.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM
sapphireblue
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is an incredibly helpful thread.

I too have CDR-31 system and I'm considering a bluetooth adapter as a solution. The problem I'm encountering is the power source. I'd like to plug something in and never have to touch it again, which would be possible if our glovebox 12-volt turned off with the car. I realize your hardwired solution solves this, but I’m wondering if there’s another option. After doing some reading, it sounds like the glove box cig lighter cuts power eventually, but only to save the battery (10-30 minutes depending on draw, a little too long for my comfort).

Given this, I have considered a battery/rechargeable adapter so the draw would not come from car. The problem with this is it would require charging every now and then (not consistent with my "set it and never touch again" preference).

And then I came across the below adapter. It is indeed powered by the car, but I'm wondering if something this small would really draw enough power to ever pose a problem to my battery. I plan on using the glove box 12-volt charger with USB output as the power source. As mentioned, this would probably stay on forever until the battery hits a certain point, but just wondering if this is something I could reasonably leave plugged in 24/7 and not worry about any negative effects to my car battery. I emailed the maker and he replied saying it draws 20mW and my battery “could last months”. What do you guys think?

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sapphireblue
This is an incredibly helpful thread.

I too have CDR-31 system and I'm considering a bluetooth adapter as a solution. The problem I'm encountering is the power source. I'd like to plug something in and never have to touch it again, which would be possible if our glovebox 12-volt turned off with the car. I realize your hardwired solution solves this, but I’m wondering if there’s another option. After doing some reading, it sounds like the glove box cig lighter cuts power eventually, but only to save the battery (10-30 minutes depending on draw, a little too long for my comfort).

Given this, I have considered a battery/rechargeable adapter so the draw would not come from car. The problem with this is it would require charging every now and then (not consistent with my "set it and never touch again" preference).

And then I came across the below adapter. It is indeed powered by the car, but I'm wondering if something this small would really draw enough power to ever pose a problem to my battery. I plan on using the glove box 12-volt charger with USB output as the power source. As mentioned, this would probably stay on forever until the battery hits a certain point, but just wondering if this is something I could reasonably leave plugged in 24/7 and not worry about any negative effects to my car battery. I emailed the maker and he replied saying it draws 20mW and my battery “could last months”. What do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDO66NK..._uEC0CbRM8HJ4J
Glad to help. I think a lot of folks are using the glovebox power, so it'll likely be fine for you; just depends how **** you are about this sort of thing. I'll point out, though, that the JL unit has a much better DAC, so it'll sound better, if you care about that sort of thing.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM
sapphireblue
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anu2g
Glad to help. I think a lot of folks are using the glovebox power, so it'll likely be fine for you; just depends how **** you are about this sort of thing. I'll point out, though, that the JL unit has a much better DAC, so it'll sound better, if you care about that sort of thing.
Yes, I absolutely care about sound quality. Although, I admit, I did not know some units sound better than others. What is the best hardwired unit? Is it your JL unit?

Have also fiddled around with swapping the whole head unit out, but I think that might be more trouble than it’s worth.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sapphireblue
Yes, I absolutely care about sound quality. Although, I admit, I did not know some units sound better than others. What is the best hardwired unit? Is it your JL unit?

Have also fiddled around with swapping the whole head unit out, but I think that might be more trouble than it’s worth.
If you search around on the web about whether one DAC is better than another, there are very polarizing debates. I'm in the boat of people that uses completely separate components (at home) and the DAC is an important part of that. The BT module will have a DAC to convert the digital audio (coming in via bluetooth) into an an analog audio signal (what's being outputted via the RCA cable). I'm of the opinion that the DAC makes a big impact on how good that signal sounds. I've found that the same track over the Bluetooth JL unit sounds better than via CD in the PCM head unit (likely due to a poor DAC in the PCM head unit, since CDs should sound better than BT if the same quality of DAC is used).

In any case, I don't know whether the JL unit is the best, but it was the best I could find in my quick research. @12v Nick was the one who pointed this unit out to me.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:17 PM
"Blücher"
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, just signed-on to Rennlist specifically to educate myself more regarding my 981 & exchange experiences/information .. probably should have done this on other thread, but O'Well?!!

Good-day OP @Anu2g,
Revisiting your thread to ask if you're still using the JL Audio BT adapter or moved-on to another solution(?)
Like JL Audio products, so will try this .. thought I'd package it mainly in the glove box, like Vitualg .. running ground/power thru drilled-hole in Cig plastic frame(?) Researched the Hosa Y-connector & found a 90°-L shape/3.5mm (Hosa YRA-167) that would sit nicely .. wish I could shorten the JL Audio BT RCA-outs but will wrap so all looks suitable in box. Would like to use a better Fuse connection .. you mentioned a "space connector" .. is that what is needed? Also, did you find 'any other' fuse locations in right/passenger box that'll 'shut-down' w/ ignition off?? Fwiw, have a LG G5 (Android v7.0 w/ aptX) .. hope to stream Spotify & maybe Google Nav(?)
If can provide any other details .. failures, good/bad experiences, would sincerely appreciate it!!

Robb

Old 06-25-2020, 03:56 PM
Virtualg
Rennlist Member

Hey Blucher,
BTW, I changed my install and went with the JL BT Adapter also. I ended up burying the adapter behind the kick panel next to the passenger foot well fuse box. I tapped in to the 3.5mm adapter in the glove box, but did it all behind the panel, so it looks stock from inside the glove box. I bought a panel mounted 3.5mm socket and teed off each of those connections to the BT adapter in the glove box The 3.5mm adapter still works, but uses the JL source whenever it's present. There are a at least 2 fuse locations that shut off with ignition as I recall. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Audio DIY (for 981 base radio)