Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Looking at 2014 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:36 PM
hsattley
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by algiorda
You may be better off purchasing from a non-Porsche dealer. They jack up prices to unrealistic levels; especially without CPO.

The Boxster is a very different animal from the GTI and even the CAYMAN for that matter. With the top down on twisty roads the experience is pure open sports car. Throttle the flat six and your endorphins will start pumping.

Just for reference, I purchased a 2013 Boxster Base off a non-Porsche dealer lot in fantastic shape, but with high miles (60k) for $29k; a bargain price! I purchased a 3rd party warranty.
Coincidentally I’m trying to do the same haha; I recently test drove a clean 2014 Boxster which was around $31,000 with 51k miles at a used dealership. PDK, and it drives fantastic. I’m swaying a little bit between PDK and manual now, and there are a lot more PDK’s so I would have more options. Will see if I can get the Porsche dealer to lower their price.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:04 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hsattley
Hello - first post. Just registered but have been reading for a couple months now. Currently own a Mk7 GTI but want a more fun and involved daily driver.

I have been looking for a 981 Boxster 6spd for some time and have recently come across this example: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...Black+11611547

2014 Boxster
Price: $36,988
Mileage: 28,914
Colors: Black on Black
Options: Pretty light. Main highlights are convenience/Bi-Xenon w PDLS/Infotainment w Bose.

Budget is $40k with expected trade-in so this would fit right in but I would love some advice on the following things:

1) How low can I realistically negotiate since the price seems...optimistic? I ran KBB and Edmunds TMV and the market price is around $32k, but Edmunds TMV with retail says $35-$36k. 6spd Boxsters are also rare in the Bay from what I can see.
2) Should I expect any issues with trading in a VW GTI to a Porsche dealership? Fully paid off, I do 14k miles/yr and no accident history. Also considering Carmax.
3) Anyone in the Bay familiar with this dealer?
4) If I wait a year, budget will go up to $50k-$55k. Is it worth waiting? Extra power of the S isn’t a must-have (test-drove a base and loved it) and the other options I’d like (SportDesign wheel/Sports Exhaust) can be added later.

I’m in LA atm; will go see the car later next week. Would appreciate any advice!

Edmunds doesn't seem to show 35-36 for me unless I'm looking at CPO. This car isn't CPO'ed. So looks like Edmunds is saying more like 33 for it. There's a silver '14 manual in Carlsbad. Isn't that nearer to where you are right now?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 AM
hsattley
Instructor

Originally Posted by professsorz
Edmunds doesn't seem to show 35-36 for me unless I'm looking at CPO. This car isn't CPO'ed. So looks like Edmunds is saying more like 33 for it. There's a silver '14 manual in Carlsbad. Isn't that nearer to where you are right now?
Yeah, looking at it on Saturday. I saw the one in Carlsbad on Autotrader but I live in Oakland, so am checking out Bay Area cars first.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:59 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Coincidentally I’m trying to do the same haha; I recently test drove a clean 2014 Boxster which was around $31,000 with 51k miles at a used dealership. PDK, and it drives fantastic. I’m swaying a little bit between PDK and manual now, and there are a lot more PDK’s so I would have more options. Will see if I can get the Porsche dealer to lower their price.
I'd love to know how you made out. I wouldn't hesitate to get the PDK, it's a hoot. The dual clutch is really a manual experience with an automatic. Not one of those standard manual shifting type of automatics; it "ALMOST" feels like a manual. It's a great friend off the line.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 416 Likes on 195 Posts

How about this?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=232011239
Old 03-14-2019, 05:17 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

marin mazda has a base cayman.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:39 PM
professsorz
Racer

Yeah, looking at it on Saturday. I saw the one in Carlsbad on Autotrader but I live in Oakland, so am checking out Bay Area cars first.
It sold yesterday. (Not to me!)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 PM
hsattley
Instructor

The one I originally posted was sold two days before I got there. But...I am now the official owner of a beautiful white PDK 981 Boxster!!

I am so so happy...my first Porsche!! Thanks all for your help
Old 03-16-2019, 11:13 PM
hsattley
Instructor

No manuals in my area, at least within my budget. But this Boxster has the SportDesign wheel and the blue interior, and the paddles are addicting!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 PM
professsorz
Racer

The one I originally posted was sold two days before I got there. But...I am now the official owner of a beautiful white PDK 981 Boxster!!

I am so so happy...my first Porsche!! Thanks all for your help
Nice! Where did you get it? I haven't been paying close attention to the PDK offerings, having decided I wanted a manual.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 PM
hsattley
Instructor

Originally Posted by professsorz
Nice! Where did you get it? I haven't been paying close attention to the PDK offerings, having decided I wanted a manual.
Got it from a private seller. He was moving out of state and needed to sell fast. Original MSRP was $71k, 40k miles, I paid $34k for it. Manuals are few and far between in the Bay Area
Old 03-17-2019, 01:25 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Great. This is a perfect 'first weekend' for the car, and I love the blue interior. Black has been done for too long. Does it have the sport-chrono package?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:27 PM
hsattley
Instructor

Originally Posted by vracer
Great. This is a perfect 'first weekend' for the car, and I love the blue interior. Black has been done for too long. Does it have the sport-chrono package?
it doesn’t have Sport Chrono or PSE, but aside from those two it’s specced exactly how I want it. I will probably add PSE later but I don’t think I’ll need Sport Chrono
Old 03-17-2019, 04:08 PM
Ragingduck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesn’t have Sport Chrono or PSE, but aside from those two it’s specced exactly how I want it. I will probably add PSE later but I don’t think I’ll need Sport Chrono
Mia sport chron something you can “add” later with mods?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM
hsattley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ragingduck

Mia sport chron something you can “add” later with mods?
I've read on here that you can potentially add sport chrono but it would be really expensive. PSE I'll probably get from Suncoast

Quick Reply: Help: Looking at 2014 Boxster