Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   My 981 Spyder is for Sale (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1125679-my-981-spyder-is-for-sale.html)

Archimedes 03-29-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15737662)
For those of you that are prior Spyder owners, why does it seem like there's a good amount of turnover for spyders (and gt4s for that matter) as compared to regular boxster and Caymans? I'm trying to decide on one (versus maybe a 718 Spyder) and it's something I'm noticing. Does the lack of practicality eventually get to you?

Good amount of turnover? There are usually less than 30 for sale at any one time, and few of them are actually changing hands. They’re weekend cars more so than the standard Boxsters for sure.

Archimedes 03-29-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bash Hat (Post 15738347)
is the 718 an upgrade??

I doubt anybody is selling their Spyder right now to upgrade to a 718 before the specs of the car are even confirmed.

fast1 03-29-2019 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15737612)
I think there's pressure from above. 2019 gt3 RS bringing down the 991.2 gt3 bringing down the 991.1 gt3 bringing down...etc.

At my mid sized local Porsche dealership, there are two GT3RSs, a GT3, and a Turbo S. That comprises nearly half of their used 911 inventory. Just anecdotal, but it supports your theory. :)

Marine Blue 03-30-2019 05:09 AM

I know a few current Spyder owners that will be trading up to the 718 now that it has been confirmed that it will have an NA6. Some are looking for the latest technology and others want to be able to spec their own car and missed the original window on the 981 Spyder. There are yet others that are looking to make a jump to a GT car, and this is something I also considered although I would likely make more of a lateral jump to a 997.2 GT3.

Bottom line is that trading Spyders and GT cars is much easier since their values don’t drop dramatically so many will sell one and transfer the funds into another car. And yes these are primarily weekend toys so they don’t see much mileage and there are some that just want the experience for a brief time and then move to something new. The other aspect is that since they don’t lose too much value someone who maybe can’t afford or doesn’t want to keep making the large payments can keep the car briefly, experience it and sell it with a smaller overall hit financially.

And then there’s the Spyder owners that sell and regret and buy another, rinse and repeat :D

fast1 03-30-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 15737911)
718 is coming out, so a lot of people are selling with plans to upgrade (and 987 likely has far fewer of those types of folks holding the car). I don't think practicality is an issue for most of us. Nature of many of these owners is to buy, hold for a couple of years while putting low mileage on the vehicle, and then upgrade to the next latest and greatest GT car.

It would depend upon where you live. Many States like MD do not charge sales tax on the trade-in price of you car. So the seller of a Spyder would have to get over $5K more in a private sale just to break even with a dealer trade-in price. And that's not even considering the additional time and expense of selling an expensive sports car to a private party.

fast1 03-30-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 15737262)
Wish we could see some auction values. I haven't really been following the sports car market as a whole.

If you don't have access to an auction database, then the next best way of determining the auction value of your Porsche is to take it to the nearest Porsche dealership and ask them to quote you a price. I doubt that any reputable dealer would offer a price below the auction price for a much in demand car like the Spyder.

guab 03-30-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by fast1 (Post 15739009)
If you don't have access to an auction database, then the next best way of determining the auction value of your Porsche is to take it to the nearest Porsche dealership and ask them to quote you a price. I doubt that any reputable dealer would offer a price below the auction price for a much in demand car like the Spyder.

That's true... can't imagine it would take them much time. They seem to sell fast when they're at the dealer though, the local dealer here had 4 of them and are now down to 1 within 60 days.

I'm going to ask a local guy here that goes to our local cars/coffee events frequently what he got... he's getting a 718 and just let go of his a month ago. He bought a car though to hold him over in the mean time, so not sure his data point will be all that relevant.

whojoemama 03-30-2019 08:03 PM

I bought one for $15k below original MSRP with 10k miles and could not be happier. Great frickin car for the money. Most smiles per dollar you can get in a Porsche. If you’re on the bubble - buy one!

Archimedes 03-30-2019 10:02 PM

I was driving mine today on a beautiful sunny day and it reminded me what an amazingly fun car this is to drive. Could not imagine selling it. Love the grip level on this car. Just perfect for a street car.

bzliteyear 03-30-2019 10:32 PM

Are you offering to sell yours? 😂
I’m trying to navigate 981 & 987 Spyders as well as GTS(981 GTS similar prices to 987 Spyder). Price not really an issue as much as trying to get the most car for the $.
Patrick

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15736293)
I have a great spec, $101k sticker, low mile Spyder and I think if I tried to sell right now I’d get $80-85k for it.

The sportscar market has softened considerably over the past 12 months.

hf1 03-31-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bzliteyear (Post 15740234)
Are you offering to sell yours? ��
I’m trying to navigate 981 & 987 Spyders as well as GTS(981 GTS similar prices to 987 Spyder). Price not really an issue as much as trying to get the most car for the $.
Patrick

The most roadster per $ by far are the 987.1 Boxster S and 987.2 Boxster S at 1/3 and 1/2 987 Spyder money or 1/4 and 1/3 981 Spyder money, respectively. The IMS panic (a $2-3k fix, if you must) has especially beaten the 987.1 into a pulp which is ridiculous for an otherwise very robust machine.

My first Boxster was a new 06 S which I sold after 6 years, 40k miles, and 70+ track days, bone stock with zero problems. Feels like they’ve hit rock bottom (somewhere above zero) and are bouncing up a bit. I just picked up an 05 S couple months ago (pic & link in my sig).

Also, for some reason Spyders seem to have avoided the girlyman car stigma of the Boxsters and are commanding a “manlyness” premium, too. Being comfortable with your masculinity could save you some serious bucks. ;)

vbb 03-31-2019 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 15740690)
The most roadster per $ by far are the 987.1 Boxster S and 987.2 Boxster S at 1/3 and 1/2 987 Spyder money or 1/4 and 1/3 981 Spyder money, respectively. The IMS panic (a $2-3k fix, if you must) has especially beaten the 987.1 into a pulp which is ridiculous for an otherwise very robust machine.

My first Boxster was a new 06 S which I sold after 6 years, 40k miles, and 70+ track days, bone stock with zero problems. Feels like they’ve hit rock bottom (somewhere above zero) and are bouncing up a bit. I just picked up an 05 S couple months ago (pic & link in my sig).

Also, for some reason Spyders seem to have avoided the girlyman car stigma of the Boxsters and are commanding a “manlyness” premium, too. Being comfortable with your masculinity could save you some serious bucks. ;)

It's interesting that you posted this, because I've had some similar thoughts. The Spyder seems to avoid the "hairdresser's car" stigma more than the regular Boxster. I don't think it looks more masculine, but it certainly looks more exotic. All things being considered, I think the 981 Spyder is perhaps the most exotic looking Porsche outside of the 918. It's a 10/10 in aesthetics.

But you also hit on the other point. I just picked up a base model 987.2 w/PDK and sport chrono and let me say, after having owned 4 different Porsche sports cars, the bang for the buck factor in this one is unmatched. You get a LOT of that fun factor and playful handling for a LOT less money. The hydraulic steering makes a difference too. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I wish I would have gotten over my own stigma against the Boxster sooner...I could have saved myself a good bit of money awhile ago had I known just how fun this car was, and I honestly can't believe how cheap these things are going for right now.

I don't mean to detract in any way from th OPs post. I'd love to own his 981 Spyder. Money no object, I'd buy it and keep it as a collector's item for 20+ years. It's breathtakingly beautiful. I just cant afford to have a piece of art that expensive.

Archimedes 03-31-2019 02:16 PM

Are you offering to sell yours? 😂
Patrick

I wouldn’t sell mine for less than sticker, and, even at that, you’d have to catch me at a weak moment. The 981 Spyder is just an epic car.

Spyerx 03-31-2019 02:18 PM

Are you offering to sell yours? ��
Patrick

A GTS is not a Spyder. They drive completely different.
Compare a carrera 911 GTS to a 911 GT3.

fast1 03-31-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by vbb (Post 15740764)
It's interesting that you posted this, because I've had some similar thoughts. The Spyder seems to avoid the "hairdresser's car" stigma more than the regular Boxster. I don't think it looks more masculine, but it certainly looks more exotic. All things being considered, I think the 981 Spyder is perhaps the most exotic looking Porsche outside of the 918. It's a 10/10 in aesthetics.

But you also hit on the other point. I just picked up a base model 987.2 w/PDK and sport chrono and let me say, after having owned 4 different Porsche sports cars, the bang for the buck factor in this one is unmatched. You get a LOT of that fun factor and playful handling for a LOT less money. The hydraulic steering makes a difference too. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I wish I would have gotten over my own stigma against the Boxster sooner...I could have saved myself a good bit of money awhile ago had I known just how fun this car was, and I honestly can't believe how cheap these things are going for right now.

I don't mean to detract in any way from th OPs post. I'd love to own his 981 Spyder. Money no object, I'd buy it and keep it as a collector's item for 20+ years. It's breathtakingly beautiful. I just cant afford to have a piece of art that expensive.

I always find it amusing when people attribute masculine/feminine traits to 3K lbs of metal and plastic. Fortunately I've never allowed peoples perceptions to affect my choice of cars. As a long time owner of 911s, I heard ad nauseum that I was driving an overpriced VW, but it never deterred me from buying them. If some think that a Boxster is a girly car, then so be it. The pleasure that I derive from driving my 981 BS is not affected in the least by other peoples perceptions. Finally, I'm not certain what being feminine even means. Many women today are flying F15s and serving in the military in combat roles. I suspect that there are lots of men who would be reluctant to do the same, regardless of how masculine the car they own is. ;)