Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   My 981 Spyder is for Sale (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1125679-my-981-spyder-is-for-sale.html)

Hamstonian 03-27-2019 10:22 AM

Data Point

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15730656)
I hate to say it, but I think the market for low mile Spyders right now is about $15k under sticker.

I just bought a high spec example with low miles. Pristine. 13.5k Under sticker.

Could not be happier.

hf1 03-27-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15730656)
I hate to say it, but I think the market for low mile Spyders right now is about $15k under sticker.

Originally Posted by Hamstonian (Post 15732168)
I just bought a high spec example with low miles. Pristine. 13.5k Under sticker.

Non-CPO ones are nearing the end of their OEM warranty regardless of (low) miles so that should nudge their market further down a bit.

guab 03-28-2019 12:22 PM

Ok, so $15k under sticker would be $10k below what the OP is asking for his... I would guess wholesale is probably close to that, maybe even above it.

High spec be a higher $ value below sticker though because options don't hold value, especially not on these cars unless it's buckets and PTS.

Or maybe I'm just wrong. Either way, haven't seen what auction values are so anyone's guess. But the more the values drop, the less likely people are going to be to sell.

fast1 03-28-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 15734946)
Ok, so $15k under sticker would be $10k below what the OP is asking for his... I would guess wholesale is probably close to that, maybe even above it.

High spec be a higher $ value below sticker though because options don't hold value, especially not on these cars unless it's buckets and PTS.

Or maybe I'm just wrong. Either way, haven't seen what auction values are so anyone's guess. But the more the values drop, the less likely people are going to be to sell.

For whatever reason, it seems like the GT4 is holding its value better than the Spyder, at least that's the case in my area. No idea about the rest of the US.

Archimedes 03-28-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 15734946)

I have a great spec, $101k sticker, low mile Spyder and I think if I tried to sell right now I’d get $80-85k for it.

The sportscar market has softened considerably over the past 12 months.

guab 03-29-2019 12:19 PM

Wish we could see some auction values. I haven't really been following the sports car market as a whole.

SpyderSenseOC 03-29-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15736293)
I have a great spec, $101k sticker, low mile Spyder and I think if I tried to sell right now I’d get $80-85k for it.

I hope you're wrong. I'm thinking somewhere between 85-90 private party. I guess it also depends on whether or not a seller can pass along a little CPO with the car.

guab 03-29-2019 02:21 PM

Mine's got 11k miles on it now (CPO, $97k MSRP, full clear bra). According to some folks here, it sounds like mine's worth less than a 987 Spyder. Not sure I really care, but I just really do not believe that to be the case.

ToasterThief 03-29-2019 02:42 PM

I think there's pressure from above. 2019 gt3 RS bringing down the 991.2 gt3 bringing down the 991.1 gt3 bringing down...etc.

SpyderSenseOC 03-29-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 15737557)
According to some folks here, it sounds like mine's worth less than a 987 Spyder.

No chance. But if you think it is, I will buy it today for $60K. :-)

ToasterThief 03-29-2019 03:03 PM

For those of you that are prior Spyder owners, why does it seem like there's a good amount of turnover for spyders (and gt4s for that matter) as compared to regular boxster and Caymans? I'm trying to decide on one (versus maybe a 718 Spyder) and it's something I'm noticing. Does the lack of practicality eventually get to you?

Spyerx 03-29-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15737662)
For those of you that are prior Spyder owners, why does it seem like there's a good amount of turnover for spyders (and gt4s for that matter) as compared to regular boxster and Caymans? I'm trying to decide on one (versus maybe a 718 Spyder) and it's something I'm noticing. Does the lack of practicality eventually get to you?

I have 6 other sports cars

High spec cars always sell for a differential closer to MSRP.

I much prefer 0 or low spec cars. Seldom do any of the high margin items add anything to the driving experience.

guab 03-29-2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15737662)

718 is coming out, so a lot of people are selling with plans to upgrade (and 987 likely has far fewer of those types of folks holding the car). I don't think practicality is an issue for most of us. Nature of many of these owners is to buy, hold for a couple of years while putting low mileage on the vehicle, and then upgrade to the next latest and greatest GT car.

guab 03-29-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC (Post 15737641)
No chance. But if you think it is, I will buy it today for $60K. :-)

Well, comparing to some recently sold 987's, that would be WAY less. ;) One recent one, with PDK, and low mileage (13k) sold for what is approaching original MSRP ($73k) with buyers fees. I find it unlikely that 981 Spyders are in the $70's (of course, they'll get there eventually), unless the mileage is very high for our model (>30k) or it was in a significant accident. I also do think that this was an outlier, but there have been others in the 60's + buyers fees as well.

Either way, I'm not selling, but it's interesting to keep tabs on the market. Also, the more it drops, the less I want to sell. 987 is also a great vehicle, and I'm sure folks just don't want to sell theirs because of it -- hard to replace with an equally fun car for the $.

Bash Hat 03-29-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 15737911)
718 is coming out, so a lot of people are selling with plans to upgrade (and 987 likely has far fewer of those types of folks holding the car). I don't think practicality is an issue for most of us. Nature of many of these owners is to buy, hold for a couple of years while putting low mileage on the vehicle, and then upgrade to the next latest and greatest GT car.

is the 718 an upgrade??