Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Base or S/Manual or PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Base or S/Manual or PDK?

Hello all. My first post in this particular forum. I used to be in the 993 and 997 area. Both those cars are out of my life, sadly, but I have now been craving another Porsche. And Cayman has been winning my love.
I am just beginning my search and have narrowed it down to the 981. I really love the styling over the 987.2 so that model is out.
I will be able to afford around $45K so a 2014 981S is doable. I have always had manual trans in my P-cars but I am finding them very difficult to find in the 981. I drove a 2016 981S with manual trans yesterday and it made me wonder if I might now prefer the PDK in my old age. I need to find one to test drive.
Also, I am even beginning to wonder if I could save some cash by just going with a base model. I had a base 981 loaner once when my 997 was having maintenance and I felt it lacked power.
I would love some thoughts from folks that have knowledge of both.
One more thing, I only want one in white.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

I found my '14 981 CS for 46.5 very recently, so you are very close. Mine had 22K miles, so a few more miles and you are right there..

I wasn't really a fan of the PDK when I first drove one (years ago) but I think I was driving it too easy. I really like the way it feels/sounds when you wind this thing up.. it loves to rev!

I'd stick with your S requirement and you should be able to have your choice of MT or PDK.. Def test drive a PDK one, and find one with sport chrono and PSE if you can.. Wind it up on the test drive in sport and sport+ modes and let us know what you think..
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

What is the difference between Sport and Sport+?
Yes, I want the Sport Chrono.
I definitely want PSE!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

From the owners manual..

Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to own both a PDK and a 6SP MT 981 at the moment, so this is my thoughts based on that. For me driving the 6SP is just more engaging, so as a daily driver, and a street car I really prefer the manual. The PDK on the track is definitely faster, has the benefit of preventing you from accidentally making a money shift, and when you're learning a new track takes one more thing away from you. That said I do sometimes miss the manual on the track as well.

My thoughts Manual for driving (I actually pretty much daily drive the manual), PDK for tracking.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 981 Boxster S with PDK. It’s my daily driver and I went with PDK because traffic can be pretty heavy. Having said that, given your long history with manuals, I would go with that unless you have a reason to switch to PDK. The PDK is extremely impressive and I’ve been very happy with it for my purposes, but for a fun car, my default is to get the fun configuration - e.g., manual transmission.

But drive both and I think you’ll realize pretty quiclkly which one you prefer.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I was manual my entire life until my e46 had SMG. I liked it, didn't love it. Then I drove a PDK, and I personally would not go back to manual. I drive it in Sport manual mode all the time. Is manual more "pure?" I guess so, but I'm sticking with PDK - love the driving experience.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Manual all day, every day. PDK is nice and all, but there is no substitute for a third pedal and rowing through the gear with a level of skill.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I owned a PDK equipped 997 and now I have a manual base 981. PDK is an awesome transmission, is better for the track and is faster. I find a 6-speed manual much more fun to drive though. If I commuted daily through traffic, or if I did a lot of tracking then I'd probably get a PDK. It's really up to personal preference and how you think you're going to use the car.

As for base vs. S, again, that's personal preference. With a budget of $45K, you could buy a higher mileage, lower optioned S or a lower mileage, higher optioned base for about the same price. My base 981 is the lowest horsepowered sports car that I've owned in a decade, but it is a blast to drive. The only time I feel wanting for power is passing at highway speeds (+65mph). Street driving, spirited driving, regular driving... there is plenty of power there. It's fun wringing the car out a bit, getting to drive it deep into the RPM range from time to time. I'm not saying that more power wouldn't be welcome... but I am saying that I don't miss it.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I drove a 981 Base C PDK for a few years before my current car. I don't track...I just drive around town and occasionally to the office. Power-wise, I drove the car entirely in 'manual' mode so I controlled the shift points and I enjoyed it that way. It felt quite quick to me. Leaving it in auto/non-Sport mode and letting the car shift itself was really boring. I'd end up in 6th or 7th at 35mph. Blah.

I do enjoy a manual if I don't have to commute on a daily basis. But if I had to drive into DT Seattle every day with a Porsche...it would be a PDK for sure.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

First two pcars were manuals, but in my old age my last two / current pcars are both PDK. It's faster, no money shifts possible, wife can drive it, no clutch is easier on the back. If PDK isn't available on the next Spyder, might have to consider another manual.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the input.
Do the base models have Sport and Sport+ and PSE available? I will have to do some more research. I am leaning toward the PDK after watching some videos. When it ever stops raining I will find a PDK to drive. And like I said, not many manuals out there.
With PDK, can you shift from the stick or is it strictly with the paddles?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:14 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Manual all day, every day. PDK is nice and all, but there is no substitute for a third pedal and rowing through the gear with a level of skill.
That's what I used to think, and my spec miata is manual and I happily drive it. I've driven the Spyder and Miata back-to-back on the same track numerous times, and I personally find I enjoy trying to dial-in the line more than dial-in my timing of shifting/braking/clutching/etc.

I feel like finer tuning of the actual line of driving the car can be accomplished better with PDK and without the third pedal.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
Do the base models have Sport and Sport+ and PSE available? With PDK, can you shift from the stick or is it strictly with the paddles?
The Sport Chrono option gives you Sport, Sport+ and launch control. Sport Chrono and PSE are standard on GTS models but must be and can be optioned on both base and S versions. Sport Chrono and PSE are rarely optioned on base models. Sport by itself comes standard on many models. PDK can be shifted by the stick or paddles.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:41 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
The Sport Chrono option gives you Sport, Sport+ and launch control. Sport Chrono and PSE are standard on GTS models but must be and can be optioned on both base and S versions. Sport Chrono and PSE are rarely optioned on base models. Sport by itself comes standard on many models. PDK can be shifted by the stick or paddles.
I believe for base models without Sport Chrono or PSE there are also two options...

1) After-market exhaust like this one: http://www.carnewal.com/products/981...wal-GT-Exhaust, or the Cadillac of after-market, this one: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-981...xhaust-system/

2) Get an aftermarket tune from Softronic or Cobb which. In my opinion the biggest aspects of Sport are tighter shifting times. From what I understand, a tune can accomplish the same thing. I drive in Sport on the street all the time - never, ever not in sport. On a track, I bounce between Sport and Sport +. Sometimes I actually think Sport is better than Sport + because weighting of the car is more subtle, but I'm not an expert driver.

In any case, for less than $2K you could put the sound and shifting onto a base....

Quick Reply: 981 Base or S/Manual or PDK?