Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 vs 718 boxster, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was looking for my first Porsche, I test drove a few 718 and 981 back to back in different dealerships. I wanted to like the 718 because, for me, "newer is better". However, 718 just didn't have the same feel as the 981. It just didn't have that connection that you are looking for when buying a sports car. After a few months searching, I ended up with a 2016 Cayman GTS. Been grinning ever since.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 9~factor
I wanted to like the 718 because, for me, "newer is better".
That was me. Only I took it a step further.

I flew to Dallas and spent $500 renting a 718 S through Turo for three days trying to convince myself it was right for me. Bought a 2015 Boxster GTS a few days later.

Bought a 991.2 911 after that and it confirms I prefer a naturally-aspirated car for weekend driving.

I still love the 718 GTS though. Will be a really, really tough call on what to get when I decide to replace my 981 GTS. Unless Porsche releases some sort of 718 Boxster with a NA flat-six and power top. In other words, whatever the heck those mules we got a video of a few weeks back. I'll put a deposit down immediately if those end up being something that goes to the public.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

I wanted to like the 718 because, for me, "newer is better".
It's a fact, whether we like newer or not. Porsche has ensured with each new generation and mid life update that the cars have appreciably more powerful motors and brakes, and are nicer. At least beginning 2017 Porsche has let go with the purposeful limiting of the mid engine cars. The 981 could have easily performed better, although the 981 was definitely a true new generation. A vast departure from the 987. The 982 has lots of upgrades while most the public would have a hard time telling you which car replaced the other. Personally I like the 982's exterior styling changes, predominantly the back end. But most importantly the smaller motor meant Porsche could optimize the motor's position, and of course they love to rob the parts bin and stole the 981 Spyder's steering rack. All the changes including bigger brakes made an appreciable performance upgrade. Sound is important, but if it's so important I'd suggest a pre-DFI flat 6. When I transitioned from an '08 997 to '09 997 I hated the sound change. DFI killed the WOT howl I loved so much. But the 997.2 brought in a more balanced chassis so you just have to accept the good with the bad. But yes you are correct, with Porsche, they ensure newer is better. Doesn't mean more desirable necessarily.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:46 AM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

I started my journey looking at the 981 GTS. I come from driving high performance turbo charged BMWs and Audis which are arguably comfortable and easy to drive and very powerful.

My first impressions of the 981 GTS was that the handling and sound was superb. It was a little low on power and torque compared to my usual BMW or Audi but it was enough.

In terms of comfort it was a little noisy for me when cruising and the steering a little heavy when putting around. I guess I've been spoiled driving the Audi and BMW so I would not say that the 981 S/GTS is the best daily or road trip car if that's your intention.

From curb side both the 981 and 982/718 have an impressive stance- low and sleek and IMO better than a non GT 911. The 981 also has the sound, the 718 is not as good but it is not bad and IMO better than a BMW M car or Mercedes.

Driving the 718 GTS is easier and more comfortable, quieter and more compliant and in sport mode it goes at the blip of the throttle and it is fast, 0-60 in 3.7sec and 1/4 mile 11.9 sec and that is without a tune. In contrast the 981 needs to be revving at 4000 rpm up. In PDK form it is still reasonably fast 0-60 ~ 4.4 sec but not by todays standards and to get any more substantial power and torque out of it you are looking at serious money.

Arguably the 981 is the more engaging and raw car particularly in manual form but the 718 is more refined and more suited to the masses. If you come from turbo charged cars then you might prefer the 718. If you came from a Miata then the 981 could be better

The 981 S/GTS are definitely the better buy at the moment given the depreciation, particularly if you can get one with warranty. However, the other problem I had was I could not find any with PTV/LSD which if you drive hard on mountain roads with sharp off camber hairpins or on slippery roads or do autocross the open diff is going to be a problem. In contrast the 718 GTS comes standard with PTV/LSD but with the 781S you will have a similar problem finding the right options.

I researched performance enhancements and an after market LSD for my potential 981 GTS purchase but my research suggests the LSD is problematic with the PDK but not the manual.

So consider what performance options you want or need and choose wisely.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was looking for my first Porsche, I test drove a few 718 and 981 back to back in different dealerships. I wanted to like the 718 because, for me, "newer is better". However, 718 just didn't have the same feel as the 981. It just didn't have that connection that you are looking for when buying a sports car. After a few months searching, I ended up with a 2016 Cayman GTS. Been grinning ever since.
I had the same experience. I bought a preowned 2016 981 GTS over a brand new 718 GTS. Yes, the 718 is faster, has more torque and better electronics - but so does my BMW. And you can always buy a 718 in the future, but the opportunity to experience that sweet 6 cylinder engine before they go extinct is now - thats my rationale anyway.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I actually like both cars. I like the feel and the sound of the 981s better but the creature comforts, ride and power of the 718s better. While I think the 981s sound is amazing, I don't think the 718s (especially with an aftermarket exhaust) sounds bad. I ended up buying a used 2015 981s with the thought process that based on what I am seeing so far, the 981s is holding value much better. I think in a few years I can walk out of my 981s for a much newer 718s for equivalent money. Time will tell.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
I ended up buying a used 2015 981s with the thought process that based on what I am seeing so far, the 981s is holding value much better.
It's kinda crazy how well the 981 GTS is holding value. I bought my GTS 16 months ago and cars with equivalent miles today are listing for $5K higher!

Quick Reply: 981 vs 718 boxster, which one?