Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on 2015 & 2016 boxster spyder.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question on 2015 & 2016 boxster spyder.

Hi all am considering selling my arctic silver 993 2S in the spring. Have been looking at 2015 & 2016 boxster GT's and Spyders for about two years so am very up on pricing of these two porsche models. Question one why do you think there are so many used Spyders for sale with one owner and very low miles could it be a lot rougher ride than expected by new owner or what interested in your take. Question two if you have a spyder with the full bucket seats or sat in one do you sit at the same height as the sport seats. I would assume the full buckets are harder to get in and out of and hold body movement better and the sport seats give a smoother ride ?. As of today Spyders with the options i am looking for are about $95,000 and GT'S are $70,000. Before hand thank's for any information we all can learn from. George.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM
Cane94
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remember Syders, GT car slots are given to the well healed and thus a bunch of collectors pick them up and never drive them. When the next great flavor comes along they trade it in and get on the list for another low production Porsche. I picked up my 11 Spyder in 2018 with 1600 miles. My dealer said car looks like it just came off the truck. So don’t fret but take advantage of the ever so slight depreciation along with breakin and you enjoy the car.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Spyder's a vert, which means it's a weekend car for most, which means it's gonna get fewer miles than say a tintop GT4. Ride is no different than an X73 Cayman GTS. LWBS are personal preference, no lower than the 18 ways (and adjustable up and down anyway), ride is no firmer than the 18 ways. I've owned two '16 Spyders, one with 18 ways and one with LWBS.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 937 Posts

On top of the already mentioned... the 982 Spyder is due in 2-3 months and people are selling off before the general public get wind of it.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 981 Spyder (with LWB seats) and love it. Have had 981 Boxster S (14-way seats) and GT4 (2-way sport seats) previously.

Spyder is best of all of them. More beautiful and exciting than GT4 due to open air driving and double bubble rear cover. Also a lot more rare.

LWB seats debated ad nausium here on RL. They do go lower than other seats but adjust up and down a lot so can ride higher if you prefer. Certainly they help you feel more of a connection to road and they look great. Comfort is very subjective: some (myself included) find them more comfortable for long trips than sofas due to support and enforced posture. Others find them hard on their backs. Just about all agree they are much harder to get into and out of, but you get accustomed to that in time.

981 Cayman/Boxster GTS, especially if manual transmission with X73 (“sport suspension”) is great and rides basically same as Spyder. That is to say, just perfect. No adjustability but just right all the time.

Spyder being rare should hold value a lot better over the years if that matters to you.

Probably more for sale recently because of 982 Spyder coming soon and also winter.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:11 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I need to start tracking data points on this stuff as far as vehicles available for sale (would be a fun project). I swear there are less for sale now than there were 3 months ago! I'm certainly tempted to trade mine for the new Spyder -IF- I can pay sticker and build the allocation. But given where I live I think I'd have to sell a kidney. 430 horsepower on the new one combined with the new style... just not that appetizing, so I'd only do it if financially it wasn't a big hit. Perfectly happy with the one I have.

GL op -- GTS is a great choice as well! The spyder is more special and will hold value better likely than the GTS but it's a lot more buy in up front. I don't like the bucket seats, but that's my opinion. I'd probably get them if I had a GT4, but not a Spyder. Maybe my opinion will change with the 718, but I doubt it.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ordered 15 BGTS with 18-way sofas, PDK, and PASM. Am supposed to get first 2020 Spyder allocation from local dealer and was considering LWBS … until I tried them. They fit me except they lack lumbar support provided by my 18-ways and are non-adjustable in the lumbar. Couldn't get out without a hand from salesman. Due to the difficulty getting in and out, LWBS tend to get excessive bolster wear. They do look cool, nice weight savings, but a deal breaker for me. Same with X73, I leave PASM on the softer setting 99% of the time. Previous two mid engine pcars were 5 speed and 6 speed, but PDK is faster and easier for me to drive due to L4/L5 spine fusion. Hope PDK is available on the 982 Spyder, lack of PDK kept me away from 981 Spyders. Everyone is different, try to drive different flavors to decide. GLWS
Old 01-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
On top of the already mentioned... the 982 Spyder is due in 2-3 months and people are selling off before the general public get wind of it.
Where is this sell off that you speak of? There are only 30 Spyders currently for sale in the entire U.S., with an average asking price in the mid $90s...
Old 01-15-2019, 03:12 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,347 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Where is this sell off that you speak of? There are only 30 Spyders currently for sale in the entire U.S., with an average asking price in the mid $90s...
Where do you go for that info? PCNA website? CarGurus?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Where do you go for that info? PCNA website? CarGurus?
Pick any of the major websites. Autotrader, Cars.com, CarGurus. Any of the majors will give you a general feel for it. There's no flood of Spyders suddenly coming on the market.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:11 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Where is this sell off that you speak of? There are only 30 Spyders currently for sale in the entire U.S.
And that is a lot more than I've ever seen at any given time. Like, a LOT more. A whole lot more.

There are currently 4 2016 Boxster GTSs for sale. Four. Compared to 30 Spyders.

Heck, add in the 2015 Boxster GTS and you still only have 20 combined.

Folks are definitely putting their Spyders out there right now.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
And that is a lot more than I've ever seen at any given time. Like, a LOT more. A whole lot more.
There were over 60 Spyders for sale a year ago when I bought my second one. I've been following the used market for the last two years, and this is the fewest number of Spyders for sale on AT/Cars.com since they were originally released. Even at release there were more than 30 available out there. I know because I looked at a bunch of them when I bought my first one.

And you can't compare a special with a regular model line car.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

There were over 60 Spyders for sale a year ago when I bought my second one. I've been following the used market for the last two years, and this is the fewest number of Spyders for sale on AT/Cars.com since they were originally released. Even at release there were more than 30 available out there. I know because I looked at a bunch of them when I bought my first one.

And you can't compare a special with a regular model line car.
We have very different experiences. I've followed on Cars.com and this is by far the most 981 Spyders I've ever seen available.

That's kinda my point by comparing it to the regular model line. By no means should there be that many 981 Spyders for sale out there. It's a unicorn. Shouldn't be more readily available than a plain jane GTS. But it is. Because people are moving them right now.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
We have very different experiences. I've followed on Cars.com and this is by far the most 981 Spyders I've ever seen available.

That's kinda my point by comparing it to the regular model line. By no means should there be that many 981 Spyders for sale out there. It's a unicorn. Shouldn't be more readily available than a plain jane GTS. But it is. Because people are moving them right now.
Exact opposite. People buy regular line models to drive, often daily, and they hold them a longer time. People buy specials (Spyders, GT3's etc.) to drive sparingly, in certain situations, and they're extra cars. More likely to be traded back and forth. Go look at the .1 GT3/GT3RS. If you search on 2014-2016 911s on Cars.com, fully 20 percent of them are GT3's, and those cars were way less than 20% of total 911 production during those years. There are always more special cars for sale as a percentage of their production than the regular line cars until they get to the 'classic' stage.

When I bought my first Spyder, after production was ended, there were 78 of them for sale in the U.S., both new left overs and early used. When I bought my second in September of 2017, there were 60+. Right now there are 30, which is about as expected given sales volumes in the U.S. of this car. There's nothing unusual or floodish about the Spyder market at the moment. I imagine you'll see a bit of a spike come spring/summer as the new cars get closer, then a lull again once those cars change hands.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I once attempted to analyze the trim/model breakout of 981 models in the U.S. Based on (now outdated) aggregate data from all of the major auto classifieds websites (Autotrader, Cars.com, and Cargurus) at the time, the data suggested that both Boxster GTS and Cayman GTS production was possibly less than the numbers of Spyders and GT4s built/sold for the U.S. No idea how the numbers shake out for other markets, and again, I re-iterate that this was based solely on the number of cars offered for sale (as a subset of known total annual sales figures for all Boxsters and Caymans) and phenomena of people flipping cars or holding on to them longer than average could skew that data. Of course one can make statistics show anything, but I'd be interested to see if current data still supports the theory (that GTS models may be as rare or more rare than the GT4s or Spyders).

Quick Reply: Question on 2015 & 2016 boxster spyder.