Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs Boxster GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:50 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S vs Boxster GTS

I posted this in another thread, but it was a little buried so I'm starting a new one here.....

I have a few questions on the S versus GTS (I'm looking at 2014 & 2015s). As I dig a bit deeper trying to understand all the options that are out there, and decide which will make up my "must have list" it appears the GTS has a good basket of them already.

From what I think I've read, the GTS comes with:

+15 HP from the 3.4L
PASM
PDLS
Dual Exhaust Mode (is this the same as the PSE)?
Sport Chrono (Not sure on this one)
20" Wheels

Are these correct, and are there any others that I am missing that going from the S to the GTS automatically gets you?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

Check this site for original sales brochures. The 2015 Boxster pdf lists all 3 models. http://www.auto-brochures.com/porsche.html

When I was looking the GTS just made sense over the S since it comes with most options I was after. Also the exterior trim of the GTS looks better in my opinion. The 981 configurator was still available when I bought so loading up the same options on the the S showed the GTS was a better value new.

Last edited by rdboxster; 01-08-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Check this site for original sales brochures. The 2015 Boxster pdf lists all 3 models. http://www.auto-brochures.com/porsche.html

When I was looking the GTS just made sense over the S since it comes with most options I was after. Also the exterior trim of the GTS looks better in my opinion. The 981 configurator was still available when I bought so loading up the same options on the the S showed the GTS was a better value new.
Thanks a lot for this, the brochure is really helpful. I'm coming to the same conclusion you did. Initially, my thinking was that the GTS was going to be more then I wanted to spend, and that the S would be fine. But as I keep making my list of wanted options, the GTS seems to have almost all of them. In fact, other then heated seats (probably a must have) and cooled seats and heated steering wheel (probably "nice" to haves), the GTS isn't really lacking what I want. Just leaves me now with finding a good deal on a GTS in the right color and wheel combo.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:56 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

What's anyone's thoughts about the pricing on this one?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=225621473

For me it's probably got my second fav color, second fav wheels, but it's missing heated seats (must have) cooled seats (nice to have), and it seems a bit high priced to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterMitty

For me it's probably got my second fav color, second fav wheels, but it's missing heated seats (must have) cooled seats (nice to have), and it seems a bit high priced to me.
I think pricing is fair but the car really isn’t equipped that well IMO. I’d also like to see the service history and CarFax report on this car. I live in the North East and love the seat heating on those cooler fall days, it does get a bit warm in the cabin of my Cayman and i wish I had seat cooling.

If you look closely at the pictures of the seats they look a bit worn and I’m not sure if they’re stained or if those are shadows in the pictures. The red arrow points to wrinkles and the yellow circles may be staining.

Take A look at this this car better equipped, a model year newer and CPO.

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+5836205

Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Stois
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterMitty

It seems like it's the same car that I saw about a year ago when I was searching for mine.
Cooled seats will be really hard to find because GTS standard interior is alcantara and it's not available with cooled seats. So you much find one with leather and then cooled seats option added to it.
As far as GTS' go, it's tough (not impossible) to find low mileage/high option example with no history for under 60k.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

Agree with Jim it is lightly optioned and a bit used. The one he referenced is better. A GTS that is well optioned should have an MSRP in the mid $90s. The Porsche site includes original build records. Walk through Boxster and Cayman on the site to get some ideas on options. Highly optioned vehicles tend to depreciate bit more so they can be a better buy used. 2015 and 2016 are identical so you may want to look at both years. You will pay a bit more at a Porsche dealer but a good chance it's CPO. Also consider outside your area. I bought the Boxster in AZ and the Cayenne in VA, both from Porsche dealers.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs Boxster GTS