Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access to Boxster 981 Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Access to Boxster 981 Engine Bay

So guys I know I raise the soft top half way up, what then, you unclip the rear hood rail below the rear screen ?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:47 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Watch this video, it will explain the process:

Old 12-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

YouTube videos are your friend here. Watch as many as needed to make sense of it, then take your time. It's a bit of an adventure the first time, then it'll make perfect sense.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

thks, I had found the video but it doesnt answer my original question about how to unhook the rear rail but maybe its not even necessary
Old 12-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Audioi
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

As many times as I have accessed the area I can’t help think that there must be a better way of doing it.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Porsche Workshop Manual procedure: WM 6101IN Convertible-top service position

Note: Always make sure the key is in the OFF position when you have any parts of your body in any location that might expose them to pinch or crush hazards.
Remove left and right wind deflectors from the roll hoops. You will stick your arm through these when unclipping the tensioning cables from each side.
Partially open top so there is approximately 100 mm between forward edge of top and top edge of windshield frame.
Reach your arm through the hoop and reach down and outwards towards the outside of the car. You are feeling for a cable. When you find the cable, run your fingers down until you feel where it terminates. The cable is held to a ball with a spring loaded clamp inside the cable termination piece. Pull on this cable termination towards the inside of the car to pop it off of the ball socket. Repeat for the other side of the car. Getting these back on can be more difficult than getting them off.
Get your body parts out of the top mechanism and further open the top so the gap increases from 100 mm to about 470 mm between the forward edge of the top and the top edge of the windshield.
Open the trunk lid.
Standing outside the car, grab the bottom edge of the convertible top structure below the rear window and pull the top up and free from the rubber/plastic surrounding the area over the engine cover.
There is (should be) a nylon webbing strap attached to the bottom of the rear top structure. This will come free if you find the right end of it. Pull this up and over the window and the top, pulling it quite tight and place the loop in the end of the strap over the forward driver's side corner of the convertible top (USA model, driver on left). This strap keeps the back section of the top from falling back down in to the engine cover area. Refer to the image below.

Drink beer. Rejoice. Work on car.

Last edited by okie981; 12-30-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

thks vm Thks I guess there isnt a layer of carpet or sound insulation on top of the boxster metal engine cover that I could permanently remove ?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

On my Boxster, I found this video to be most useful for me.

On my 987.1, there is a Bose speaker unit that disconnects and comes off, then the carpet / fabric cover, then the metal cover (needs tools), if I recall correctly. I do not specifically recall any separate sound insulation. I don't expect 981 to be much different, but perhaps it is.

I'm not sure I'm answering your question. If not, please let me know.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Default Here we go

Ok thanks for the explanation guys to remove the cables, to be honest once I figured out to shine a torch on the inside of the hood and as I have long arms its not as difficult as it sounds as originally I was going horizontally to the cable point not vertically down.

And hey presto as suspected there is a huge slab of sound insulation which when removed, the car sounds significantly better inside the car with the hood up, more intake sound, no drone

Old 01-29-2019, 01:42 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

and the roof still sits in the same protective cover above the engine, this is a must do free mod
Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
and the roof still sits in the same protective cover above the engine, this is a must do free mod
Reversible too I guess...
I wonder if the Cayman would benefit from similar - I must investigate.

Assume though extra heat comes along with the sound too...

Quick Reply: Access to Boxster 981 Engine Bay