Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this par for the course for a 981S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:25 PM
rhgindc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this par for the course for a 981S PDK

I just got myself a 2013 Boxster S with PDK, Sport Chrono. When I leave it in automatic mode and leave the sport and sport plus buttons OFF....the PDK transmission up shifts to the next gear around 1800 RPM. I'll be in 7th gear somewhere by the time I reach between 40-50 mph. Is this normal for the automatic mode?

I previously had a 2002 986S Tiptronic and I remember my Porsche mechanic saying that he felt that the engine liked to be pushed a bit and shifting around 3000 RPM was better than shifting around 1500-2000. I'm not sure if my mechanic was inaccurate or not. But, if his opinion was accurate then I'm thinking where my present PDK shifts might be harder on the engine over time.

Thanks in advance for feedback on this.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes, but the shift points are dynamic as the computer attempts to best suit your driving style.

So, on the next trip to the grocery store, drive it like you stole it including full pedal kick down, and 100% braking from 65mph! Now the Porsche computer will think - this guy likes it sporty and it will adjust on the fly. It really wakes up. Be prepared for some engine-assisted slowing on hard braking. It does have some memory but will generally default to the most fuel-efficient shift points over time.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:37 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rhgindc
I just got myself a 2013 Boxster S with PDK, Sport Chrono. When I leave it in automatic mode and leave the sport and sport plus buttons OFF....the PDK transmission up shifts to the next gear around 1800 RPM. I'll be in 7th gear somewhere by the time I reach between 40-50 mph. Is this normal for the automatic mode?

I previously had a 2002 986S Tiptronic and I remember my Porsche mechanic saying that he felt that the engine liked to be pushed a bit and shifting around 3000 RPM was better than shifting around 1500-2000. I'm not sure if my mechanic was inaccurate or not. But, if his opinion was accurate then I'm thinking where my present PDK shifts might be harder on the engine over time.

Thanks in advance for feedback on this.
Normal. It's programmed to upshift early for fuel economy. Your 986 had the M96 motor. Many recommend keeping revs up for better oiling of the IMSB. I've never seen any data/ evidence for that but it's a common belief. The 981 Boxster has an 9A1 motor with no IMS and many other improvements. In PDK cars I mostly shift manually, unless creeping along in stop-go traffic.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:48 PM
rhgindc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Yes, but the shift points are dynamic as the computer attempts to best suit your driving style.
Thanks for the insight! Hahaha, now I know why it shifts the way its been shifting...it's intuitively adapting to my pathetic little old lady from Pasadena driving style!
Old 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

If you're interested in reprogramming the PDK to shift at higher RPMs even with grandma working the gas pedal, Cobb offers an Accessport option for the PDK that will do just that. Pricey unless you happen to find a used one, but even used they aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: Is this par for the course for a 981S PDK