Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for 981 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Question for 981 owners

I have received three letters from my local Porsche dealer in the last six months, the last one came in on 1/17. In each case the dealer offers me a trade-in price for my car and special pricing on a 718S. The last offer suggested that Porsche was offering incentives which expire on 1/31, and requested that I contact the Sales Manager for pricing details. I've owned Porsches for over 40 years and this is the first time that I have ever received a proactive offer from Porsche. Maybe Porsche is getting aggressive because 718s are selling as well as they anticipated in the US. Any other 981 owners getting these offers?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

I get letters like this every time the dealer is in short supply of used Porsches. Same when I lived in Las Vegas. Of course my sales guy texts me periodically when they get in something he thinks I might like.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I get letters like this every time the dealer is in short supply of used Porsches. Same when I lived in Las Vegas. Of course my sales guy texts me periodically when they get in something he thinks I might like.
Interesting.This is the first time I ever received a proactive offer, but I always owned 911s in the past. Maybe this is just a Boxster/Cayman initiative.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

They are panicking. Porsche no longer cares about selling new cars to anyone on this side of the International Date Line, so the dealers need used cars to sell.

And if even half of the rumors in this thread are true, the 991 owners will be getting the same letters soon enough....
Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

I haven't received any letters (yet) but this morning I got an "eZine" email from my local dealer that lists all the "special offers" they have for their current inventory. I do still get letters from VW even though I sold my GTI in 2012.

When I was there a couple weeks ago to pick my car after getting the booster replaced, I noticed they scratched the rear bumper. Pointed it out and they took it out back to buff it out (which fortunately worked) so I had a few minutes to spare in the showroom. I was with a coworker and I was showing him the differences between my car and a red 718.

A new salesman approached me and asked if I had any questions. Told him I'm just explaining things to my friend but may come in early on a Sunday morning to test drive it just so I can experience it. Told him I'm not sure about the sound compared to mine and he's like, "oh yeah, on your 2016 Cayman, you have the V6."

No dude. Just no.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

718's are not selling up to Porsche expectations in the US. I haven't received a notice, but having this "special offer" is sort of like the Macy's 20% off coupons. When they expire, wait two days and you'll get another. The 1/31 date is meaningless.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

I've received proactive offers to trade in my Macan for a new GTS. I'm sure they're not struggling to sell Macans in any form.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:08 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

Both my wife and I have received similar letters for our non-Porsche vehicles... it’s nothing more than a selling tactic.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been getting a slew of these messages from multiple dealers the last several months:

As your Portfolio Manager, I have been monitoring your account and noticed that your 2016 Porsche Boxster has not been in service with us recently. We sincerely appreciate your business and we hope everything is all right with you and your vehicle. I chose to reach out to you specifically because we need vehicles like your 2016 Porsche Boxster in our inventory and you've been pre-qualified for financing. I have many clients looking to purchase well-maintained pre-owned vehicles like yours. If you are interested, I would love the opportunity to put together a vehicle upgrade proposal for you.

Keeping you and your loved ones in the safest and most up-to-date vehicle possible is something we are very passionate about. With the current incentive programs available, we have been assisting our clients by upgrading them to a vehicle backed with a manufacturer warranty for far less than expected. Based on the market value of your current vehicle, I feel that now is the optimal time to take advantage of this opportunity. In the meantime, we have created a personalized online portal that allows you to browse our inventory with your estimated payments already pre-calculated.

It's sort of heart warming to know these dealers have my best interests at heart and share a sincere desire to see me and my loved ones in a safe, modern vehicle because certainly a 2016 Spyder, now almost two years old, is a veritable antiquated death trap.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

Has nothing to do with 718 sales. Almost every dealer does this sort of thing.

Dealers *love* late model used cars. The value of used cars is a lot harder for buyers to determine, so it's very easy for dealers to buy low & sell high. Especially since folks are willing to accept a lower trade-in value than private sale due to the convenience. Buddy of mine's dad worked at a dealer years ago and focused on selling preowned because he made more money on each car.

On top of that, they make a profit on selling you a new car. For them it's win-win.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I've been getting a slew of these messages from multiple dealers the last several months:

As your Portfolio Manager, I have been monitoring your account and noticed that your 2016 Porsche Boxster has not been in service with us recently. We sincerely appreciate your business and we hope everything is all right with you and your vehicle. I chose to reach out to you specifically because we need vehicles like your 2016 Porsche Boxster in our inventory and you've been pre-qualified for financing. I have many clients looking to purchase well-maintained pre-owned vehicles like yours. If you are interested, I would love the opportunity to put together a vehicle upgrade proposal for you.

Keeping you and your loved ones in the safest and most up-to-date vehicle possible is something we are very passionate about. With the current incentive programs available, we have been assisting our clients by upgrading them to a vehicle backed with a manufacturer warranty for far less than expected. Based on the market value of your current vehicle, I feel that now is the optimal time to take advantage of this opportunity. In the meantime, we have created a personalized online portal that allows you to browse our inventory with your estimated payments already pre-calculated.

It's sort of heart warming to know these dealers have my best interests at heart and share a sincere desire to see me and my loved ones in a safe, modern vehicle because certainly a 2016 Spyder, now almost two years old, is a veritable antiquated death trap.
Everyone knows your brakes and airbags stop working after 2 years. Plus your steering wheel can only rotate so many times before it unscrews itself. I'd upgrade tomorrow if I were you.

Also seems like "Portfolio" is the new buzzword. My brother just got this today:

A few days ago, we tried contacting you from Mercedes-Benz of Encino about your 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300w and according to my records you have 7 payments remaining. Please call me before you make your next payment.

As the Director of our VIP & Portfolio Department, I'm particularly interested in how we can assist you in choosing your next Mercedes-Benz.
MB will only waive your last 3 months to get you into a new lease so I'm not sure why they're even trying now. Well, actually I do.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I receive letters from my BMW dealer at least monthly asking me to trade my '13 x3 for a new, 2018 model. First off, not interested. Second, I'll replace it with a Macan when the warranty is up.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

That is quality !!! :-)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
Interesting.This is the first time I ever received a proactive offer, but I always owned 911s in the past. Maybe this is just a Boxster/Cayman initiative.
Well when I lived in Vegas I owned a 2008 Carrera S. Guards red. Every time I took it in for service the dealer wanted to buy it from me. Seems their lot was always full of black, white, or silver cars.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boxster7

That is quality !!! :-)
Our inspections in the US are a joke. When I lived in Germany anytime you brought your car in for service it was first hoisted up and some German inspected the entire chassis for safety issues. Next they re-torqued your lug nuts. They did all this before doing whatever you came in for. In fact, a different tech did it in a different bay.

Quick Reply: Question for 981 owners