968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Specific config file for ScanTool

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Specific config file for ScanTool

After trying to make my own scan tool interface based on the schematics which were posted and not quite having success...I purchased a T-OBD interface from Tore at Bergville F/X and was able to connect to my 968 with some minor tweaks to the configuration file. The origns of the Scan tool program are from a RL member (Doug?) and for a 964. Later it looks like someone had made a configuration file for the 993. The 968 looks to use some engine signals from each model. After adjusting the Motronic bus speed to 9600 baud; I was able to connect. The main question on the config. file is the ECU input signals for live data.

Example:

The engine speed in the 964 config. looks to be correct.
The Throttle angle in the 993 config. is correct.

If anyone has worked through this process or found any other signals it would be nice to have a confirmed 968 config. file in the future.

I was glad to finally connect to the airbag module and find codes I can now troubleshoot (the reason I got into this whole adventure).
Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably too late to tell you this, but my durametric works fine on the 968 and reads all the limited systems.

Originally Posted by Moparboy72
After trying to make my own scan tool interface based on the schematics which were posted and not quite having success...I purchased a T-OBD interface from Tore at Bergville F/X and was able to connect to my 968 with some minor tweaks to the configuration file. The origns of the Scan tool program are from a RL member (Doug?) and for a 964. Later it looks like someone had made a configuration file for the 993. The 968 looks to use some engine signals from each model. After adjusting the Motronic bus speed to 9600 baud; I was able to connect. The main question on the config. file is the ECU input signals for live data.

Example:

If anyone has worked through this process or found any other signals it would be nice to have a confirmed 968 config. file in the future.

I was glad to finally connect to the airbag module and find codes I can now troubleshoot (the reason I got into this whole adventure).
Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I bought a Durametric. Didn't want to mess around with programming just to clear a CEL.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Originally Posted by ramius665
This is why I bought a Durametric. Didn't want to mess around with programming just to clear a CEL.
I see, but to be clear the instructions included make the computer setup straight forward. I was able to clear a past/historical engine fault with the click of a button.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:32 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparboy72

Example:

Im very interested in what your up to on this. You mind posting what the costs of the pieces you have purchased from Tore. I think another on this forum is using this hardware/software as well. Think its Thomas Ryan, perhaps he also has some data to add to your config file.

If I understand correctly the Tore/Bergville FX stuff will give some real time data....Does the Durametric stuff let you see any real time data or just clear codes?? Thanks John
Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Im very interested in what your up to on this. You mind posting what the costs of the pieces you have purchased from Tore. I think another on this forum is using this hardware/software as well. Think its Thomas Ryan, perhaps he also has some data to add to your config file.

If I understand correctly the Tore/Bergville FX stuff will give some real time data....Does the Durametric stuff let you see any real time data or just clear codes?? Thanks John
From Tore the T-OBD was $96 shipped. You will need an adapter from the round connector to a standard OBD-II type. This I made out of parts I had around from the my earlier interface project.

Correct, the tool does give real time data but I am finding that not all 993/964 based) signals are valid/correct. Also, in reading through the 968 Technic publication it seems there are a handful of signals available to the Bosch Hammer type tool for the 968. Example: knock counts, oil temp, evap purge, vario cam command...It would be nice to search out and create compatible file for us all to use in diagnostics.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry

I have to go back and check, but yes you can log all the inputs (temp sensor, alarm switch positions) and outputs (temp, AFM) etc with Durametric.

Graph them too.

I plan to do this in the next week or so to chase down some loss of power issues I have to see what is going on, can report back if interested.

Here is a screen shot from when I found out I had issues with my variocam:

Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

i tried to play with the live data T-obd but i would have ended up in the ditch)) it was giving me the actual values for the 993 configuration file so no knock count, vario trigger, ect

Actual Value.Battery +9V to +14V=0x36;(n*682)/100;##.## Volts
Actual Value.IATS Int Air Tmp 0-80(°F)=0x37;((n*115)/100)-26;###°
Actual Value.ECTS Cyl Hd Tmp 0-180(°F)=0x38;((n*115)/100)-26;###°
Actual Value.Eng Speed 800@idle=0x39;n*40;#### rpm
Actual Value.?Ign Adv Tme 3°@Idle=0x3a;(n*1)/2;###.#°
Actual Value.H02S 150-900mV=0x3d;n*3;#### mV
Actual Value.MAF 1V@IDLE, Cold=0x47;((n*500)/255);#.## Volts
Actual Value.Base Inj time=0x3f;;##.### ms;UINT16
Actual Value.Base Inj 8-bit LOAD=0x3e;n*50;#.### ms
Old 10-01-2023, 09:58 AM
nik968
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would somebody be able to confirm the temp signals 0x37 and 0x38 are correct for the 968?
I get some sensible values for 0x37 (20°-90°C / 68°F-194°F) but value for 0x38 keeps jumping around. Thinking maybe I have a broken temp sensor?

Actual Value.IATS Int Air Tmp 0-80(°F)=0x37;((n*115)/100)-26;###°
Actual Value.ECTS Cyl Hd Tmp 0-180(°F)=0x38;((n*115)/100)-26;###°

Furthermore, poking around seems I get battery voltage form 0x36 (as per 933 params) and engine rpm from 0x3a (as per 964 params).

Quick Reply: 968 Specific config file for ScanTool