968 Forum 1992-1995

Top up coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM
gerome
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top up coolant

I'd just like to start by saying I know very little about cars. My dad bought a 1992 968 many moons ago and it has essentially spent most of its life in a garage. I recently took it out and replaced the Thermo Fan Switch because I believe it was faulty. About 2 litres of green coolant (looked clean) poured out during the process. My question now is if I buy phosphate free green coolant is it ok to top it up even though it is probably not the same brand (i read mixing coolant could cause it to gel).

Or do I need to drain and flush the entire system with new coolant? It's done 75k km and has most likely never had it's coolant replace so maybe it's time anyway?

Last edited by gerome; 04-04-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

It sounds like the car is well over due for some standard maintenance. If it were yours truly, I'd flush the coolant system...and replace the timing belt/water pump...and flush the brake fluid.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM
gerome
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply!

I'm going to attempt to change the coolant and motor oil and was wondering if the jack points on the 968 are the same as the 944? here are supposedly the jackpoints on the 944http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yab...num=1277230654

or am I better off buying ramps instead of jacking it up?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:10 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

most ramps are too steep so a jack would be wise.

this is the coolant procedure for a 944 but our cars are similar less the block drain. some suggest using a shop vacuum to suck more coolant out than just draining at the radiator.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/cool-02.pdf

you might want to pick up a couple drain plugs and the upper vent fitting as they are plastic and get brittle with age.

to make less of a mess, I raise the passenger side slightly higher and only open the drain a few turns then walk away. I will let it drain overnight. this allows the coolant to run down the batwing and into the catch pan instead of everywhere.

Quick Reply: Top up coolant