968 Forum 1992-1995

New 968

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

For today, I reglued a ton of the tabs that have bolts for keeping the hockey sticks on and the brackets that hold the spoiler that had snapped loose . They looked like they were glued at the factory with a really thin solvent based glue then most had been repaired in the past with some other heavy glue so I redid them in panel adhesive. I stripped and replated all the fasteners in zinc-nickel and blasted then painted anything that was still bonded to plastic. Rattles should be pretty much gone because about 75% of the fastener points were broken. I also manually replaced the crappy old sunroof with a new glass one so now there's not a huge urge to troubleshoot the millions of power components involved in making the button work. Looks pretty great inside and outside. By Wednesday hopefully the shift boot arrives so I can install that, adjust the SSK, button up the console, and splice/heatshrink the last of the loose or cut wires.

Name:  nmHGiWDl.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  38.1 KB
Old 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Looking good!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:11 PM
esseight
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great! Looking forward to following your progress.

Mind if I ask where you sourced your Saratoga top from?
Old 03-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I got it from Ebay but afterwards found out that the seller is just essentially dropshipping from Pilkington Classics with an extra $100 tacked on. In the past couple weeks it looks like https://www.pilkingtonclassics.com is down but you could probably call and get the top for ~$500. The fit is good with the weatherstripping not being as perfect as I'd expect but it should seal ok and you can tell when it's seated correctly. Next time I manually pop it I'm going to use a little petroleum jelly to help the non-perfect areas slide into the frame more reliably but until I get the power mechanism going it's a moot point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152483749400

Quick Reply: New 968