968 Turbo Hood scoop attachment options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:29 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 968 Turbo Hood scoop attachment options

So, looking to get my hood done soon.

Want some thought for aftermarket hood scoops, I am talking the two naca ducts, not the intercooler one.

Did folks trace out the location with a sharpie, cut with a dremel type tool, then weld some threaded studs, drill holes in the lips on the scoops and fasten with an adhesive and nuts?

Or are they just held on with adhesive? I know the factory ones are metal, so I assume it is just welded for those, mine is fiberglass.

Looking forward to hearing everyone ones thoughts on this and crowdsourcing the options.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:33 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have templates that you place on outside of each side of your 968 hood then place masking tape on your hood in this area and scribe a line over the tape. This gives you a perfect line to cut out with a dremel tool for factory NACA vent cutouts. Then you feather the paint back a few inches which means about 1/2" per layer of paint to the point that you wouldnt feel or see the difference in layers once you repaint. You will also have to relief the side supports on backside of hood just a tiny bit to make room for the NACA vents which can then be bonded to the hood aligning them perfectly and putting slight pressure on the ducts pushing down with say a 1 lb weight. Let dry for 24hrs then your ready to start prepping for finish work or build your dual hood latch bosses on each side.

they are held in place bye 2 part epoxy type body adhesive 3M make it and you can find them Online

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...HMCEYQ8wIIJDAA
Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM
touareg
Drifting

Awesome, thanks good directions.

Any chance you can do a PDF of the templates?

The only directions I got was taking a ruler, and starting from the bottom right corner of the hood, next to the headlight, measure up Y inches and over X inches, making sure it is square, repeat for the left side.

So end up with masking tape like this with a place to cut \/ going in the outside corners where the tape intersects, a template would help a lot, suppose I could measure it out myself too:

Code:
---------------------
  \/|           |\/
    |           |
    |           | 
  0              0
Old 03-14-2016, 04:39 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I think there is too much human error involved with trying to pdf or measure out. its just easier to send this template to you for $5 right?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:17 AM
touareg
Drifting

Sure $5 sounds good to me

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo Hood scoop attachment options