968 Forum 1992-1995

Need spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Need spacers

I need the 3 spacers that are located under the distributor rotor. The 944 may be the same but my car is a 968. Porsche still sells them, but the ones they now offer are no longer threaded in the center. Without these threads the rotor screws cannot capture the spacers and they could easily drop into the T belt area if one is not extremely careful when removing the rotor. I'm hoping someone has a core engine or parts from a core. Thanks

Cliff
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 PM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure these were threaded. My '92 968 spacers were not threaded. And, from a design point, typically a spacer shouldn't be threaded, as this could cause the spacer to act like a nut, and not allow the stackup to be pulled up tight with the bolt.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MB968
Are you sure these were threaded. My '92 968 spacers were not threaded. And, from a design point, typically a spacer shouldn't be threaded, as this could cause the spacer to act like a nut, and not allow the stackup to be pulled up tight with the bolt.
The new spacers supplied to me by Porsche are not threaded. All the originals I have ever held are. Just installed all new front seals on a friends coupe Monday night - both rotor holes and holes in spacers are threaded.

I understand your design point debate, but the 3 bolts that mount the rotor have very long shoulders with no threads. The bolts actually thread through the rotor and become captured so they can't fall out. Once they are threaded through the rotor then the bolt can slide freely (in the rotor) on its shoulder. The spacer also threads its way onto the bolt (on back side of rotor) and then can also slide freely on the shoulder of the bolt once it clears the threads. This allows it to space the rotor and prevents it from acting like a nut.

Without this design, it's very difficult to remove a rotor and not have a spacer drop into the timing belt mechanism. At that point you would be removing timing covers all for the swap of a rotor. Porsche designed them this way to prevent such. Apparently there has been a vendor change and the new spacers supplied are not threaded.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

So the 928 engine owners would have two chances of having these?
And the 944S2 guys?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
So the 928 engine owners would have two chances of having these?
And the 944S2 guys?
Very likely, but it's been a long time since I've had either of those engines apart. I have also yet to check the PET, but plan to and suspect I'll find the same part number. Was just hoping someone here had a core engine.

Frustrating to order something new only to find it has been redesigned in an inferior manner....

Quick Reply: Need spacers