968 Forum 1992-1995

968 door handle repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 PM
rogerstopford
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 door handle repair

Has anyone got 'the process' for fixing the door handle when the lever in the outer handle just goes loose and no longer operates the mechanism? I used the clark's garage procedure (944) which is fine and gets the handle off, but there is way more hardware on the inside of the door on 968 that blocks all access and vision to the mechanism. With the handle off I know the part I need to replace, but there is no way I am going to be able to reconnect the links using the clarks garage procedure. I have seen some references online about the removing the vent panel in the rear of the door, but I still cannot get to where I need to reconnect the linkages.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:07 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

hi roger,

I have done this repair 3 times. Not too bad. There is a nicely illustrated document from the service manual that illustrates all the steps. You need to get a copy of that. I can make one for you and if you would like to discuss the process just give me a call.

jeff
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeff, I would be very interested in this too, as my friends 968 Club Sport is suffering from the same problem. So if you are making a copy for Roger, could you please email me one as well.?

Thanks - Alex.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:09 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went through this. It helps to take off the square metal cover at the top that hides the lock mechanism, I believe it was three 8mm bolts holding it on. It also helps to remove the bolt at the bottom of the window track so that you can lightly move it out of the way. Access was helped by going through vent hole in the back of the door. I ended up reconnecting the levers using a pair of long needle nosed pliers through the vent opening. I agree though, it's a bit more complicated than a 944.

Jeff why not just post the service manual procedure for all to see? This is a common repair that would benefit everyone not familiar with it.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo

Jeff why not just post the service manual procedure for all to see? This is a common repair that would benefit everyone not familiar with it.
I only have it in printed form right now. I will have to scan.

I have my lower cladding replacement write-up as well and that is in PDF.

I distribute whenever asked. Once scanned I'll send it to you and you can post it if you like. Send me an email.
Jeff
Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 AM
rogerstopford
Intermediate

Jeff, I have the factory manual PDF somewhere, is that the illustrated doc you refer to? I am on the road at the moment but next week I can access that. If you can, a scan and post/email would be great thanks.
Colin, thanks for the input, I was looking at the large metal cube that looks like it blocks access and visibility, and that could well be the lock mechanism. That was my next 'remove' step so I might try that anyway. What I don't want to do is release the alignment of the strike plate and door latch/catch.
Thanks everyone and I will be back at it next week.
Roger
Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rogerstopford
Jeff, I have the factory manual PDF somewhere, is that the illustrated doc you refer to?
That is the one. A few pages from that manual. I have them printed out.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerstopford
Jeff, I have the factory manual PDF somewhere, is that the illustrated doc you refer to? I am on the road at the moment but next week I can access that. If you can, a scan and post/email would be great thanks.
Colin, thanks for the input, I was looking at the large metal cube that looks like it blocks access and visibility, and that could well be the lock mechanism. That was my next 'remove' step so I might try that anyway. What I don't want to do is release the alignment of the strike plate and door latch/catch.
Thanks everyone and I will be back at it next week.
Roger
Roger, definitely no need to mess with the strike plate or catch mechanism. It's a bit fiddly and irritating but you can get it with patience. I had my work light sitting in the base of the door, my eyes looking through one of the various openings, one hand/arm inside the door and the other operating the needle nose pliers through that vent opening.

Last edited by potent951turbo; 08-09-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:50 PM
rogerstopford
Intermediate

Back from vacation, ordered the door actuating lever (the part that's broken) and the 2 seals (the old ones are cracked). Tried Pelican, all good, but the shipping was more than the parts. Went to my local Porsche dealer (here in Canada) and the parts prices are basically the same as Pelican, and $0 shipping. ok, got the parts ordered, pick up next week. I have the handle off the car, now, back to applying all the guidance on how the heck I (a) get the little pins out to remove the broken part, and (b) get those linkages reconnected down deep in the door.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:42 PM
rogerstopford
Intermediate

the target of my attention. Looks like 2 parts are broken - the handle/lever, but also the lever at the other end of the handle.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pins simply press out, mine were very tight so I was going slow because I didn't want to break something. Well I did anyways so I went at it a bit harder since I had to order another part, but at least I found out they were just pressed in there tight.

As for connecting the linkage, that, IMHO, is one of the worst jobs I've ever done on my 968. Took hours it seemed like. In the end, it was a bit of luck, a lot of fine movements with my long needle nose pliers and it snapped together. One of the greatest feelings once I was done though. I took off the black vent near the bottom of the door and held a flashlight in my mouth to try to get as much light in there as possible. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 968 door handle repair