Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Alternative manual transmission in 968?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 PM
W.Bruckner
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternative manual transmission in 968?

Has anyone fitted relatively easily a 944, 944S or 944S2 in a 968? At 237,000 kms, I have a pinion bearing failure. Since the rebuild will take a few weeks at least, I'm exploring alternatives so I can still enjoy the short summer driving season.

I gather that the 951 gearbox isn't a good match because of gearing that is incompatible with the 968's power delivery characteristics. I'm thinking a 944, 944S or 944S2 transmission (cheap and relatively easy to find) would be a good candidate. Any particular one would be a better fit?

The question is, how bolt-on would this be, if at all? Obviously, if the torque tube must also be changed in order to fit a 944 transmission of some kind, I will rule this option out as I do not fancy dropping my rear suspension.

Any input greatly appreciated. Also, if a 968 owner had a pinion bearing problem fixed at a shop in Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto, please get in touch with me, I could use a reference or two.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'd be best off finding a used 968 transmission or fixing the one you've got quickly. Given your short summer maybe sourcing a used 968 gearbox is the way to go. Swapping in a 5spd from an older car gets a bit complicated (need new axles and shifter linkage) and likely would take longer than rebuilding your gearbox. I'm not sure on torque tubes or bellhousing fitment. Even once all that work was done then you'd have a 5spd 968. I think that would substantially harm resale value.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

In order to fit a 944 transaxle into the 968 a few parts are needed.

Transaxle - (obviously)
Axles - 944's are equal length, vs. 968's unequal lengths
Transaxle carrier member and mount
Shift linkage rod.

I don't know if the torque tube length is a match. I changed it to a 944 but then again it's mated to a V8 not the stock 3 litre four banger.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:51 PM
W.Bruckner
Advanced

Thanks guys. There's consensus on the need for the following 944 parts: driver side axle and shifter linkage, plus the hole for the speed sensor should be plugged on the 944 transmission. I'm getting contradictory info about the shifter rod and crossmember/mount, a fellow owner tells me the 968 parts will work. Like I said, I wouldn't want to swap out the shifter rod, too much of a PIA. Crossmember and mount can be had with 944 transmission, no problem, although I hope the 944 crossmember bolts onto 968 body fine?

The 968 torque tube bolts on to the 944 transmission. The casings don't match perfectly but the 4 bolts do.

I'm not too concerned about resale value, the car has high mileage and the original gearbox will get rebuilt at some point, unless I find a used unit in good shape, which is always a gamble and these boxes are rarely available, precisely because they are often swapped into 944 cars and are good replacements for 968 transmissions that fail due to pinion bearing.

Anyone has a definitive answer on the necessity to swap to a 944 shifter rod and transmission crossmember/mount to make this work?

Right now I'm thinking a 944S or S2 box would be safer, the regular 944 gearbox was designed for considerably less power than the 968 makes. Am I right about this?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Since it is possible to fit a 968 gearbox straight to a 944 without carrying over the cross brace and mount, I would say it is possible to fit a 944 gearbox straight to a 968 without swapping over the cross brace and mount. If you drop the 968 cross member, I bet the fuel tank will fall, which may not be something that you want.

You definitely need the linkage and the shifter, and replacing both is not an issue at all.

You will also need to replace BOTH your unequal length axles with 944 axles. BTDT.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM
W.Bruckner
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thom
Since it is possible to fit a 968 gearbox straight to a 944 without carrying over the cross brace and mount, I would say it is possible to fit a 944 gearbox straight to a 968 without swapping over the cross brace and mount. If you drop the 968 cross member, I bet the fuel tank will fall, which may not be something that you want.

You definitely need the linkage and the shifter, and replacing both is not an issue at all.

You will also need to replace BOTH your unequal length axles with 944 axles. BTDT.
Sorry for the misuse of terms.. by crossmember I meant the transmission carrier (Porsche part designation). In any event, when I find a good used 944 transmission, I'll pick up the mount and carrier, as well as the shifter linkage.

The shifter must be changed too? You mean the lever? How about the rod? From past memory working on a 944 turbo, putting the rod out of the way was a headache without damaging the sound insulation.

OK for axles, I thought the passenger side was identical length on 944 and 968. No problem at all.

I see on Clarks Garage excellent database of various 944 gearboxes that the 944S transmission could be best with longer 1-4 gears (than 944) but shorter 5th..
Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The lever and the shifter rod. Pulling/pushing the rod from behind is not problem at all, nevermind the foam insulation.

Quick Reply: Alternative manual transmission in 968?