Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Nice write up on Raj's 968 in panorama this month

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Last edited by touareg; 05-19-2014 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Have been asked to remove due to copyright, sign up for PCA here https://www.pca.org/
Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't hang in this forum, but I read the article today. Excellent write up. Love the passion. Very cool car.

I too was a huge fan of the 968 as a kid. I think Risky Business is party responsible for that.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by RajDatta; 05-16-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I don't hang in this forum, but I read the article today. Excellent write up. Love the passion. Very cool car.

I too was a huge fan of the 968 as a kid. I think Risky Business is party responsible for that.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So cool. Congrats Raj.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8 page centerfold spread. (-%

To the 911 guy----2 not 6.

tino
Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Very cool... I like the "JK" mention
Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Very cool... I like the "JK" mention
Ofcourse Thom. If it wasn't for some good friends, it could have never happened. Gotta always remember the people that helped you get there . Its not easy getting parts from Porsche Motorsports in Germany. All my invoices are in german!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Congratulations Raj! Can't wait to get my copy of Pano. I've always liked how your car looks but now that I see the red interior I love it! Fantastic combination!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 AM
Inventor997
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats

Hi Raj,

Congrats on the magazine article! The car looks great. I saw a video on youtube and it seems to be running pretty damn good, too.

I think I received an email from you a couple of weeks ago, which I seem to remember reading when I was half asleep one Saturday morning, but I went to check back... And there was no evidence of any emails, somehow all deleted.

But I did remember very clearly that you had mentioned that your Dynatech camberplates had gotten dinged up by an alignment shop in previous emails, and these emails are gone now. Please resend that last one, or you can contact me through Rennlist through this new account.

Btw, I do have a very small inventory of strut braces and camberplates.

Cheers,
Sean Thomas

PS A Dynatech strut brace would certainly brighten up that engine compartment. Small deviation from OEM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:29 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Great article! Your car looks awesome & was presented very well. That's the way to represent, Congrats Raj!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

My copy came today, but I'm not home yet to read it. That WILL be the first thing I read when I get there. Congratulations on your great car being in a great magazine.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Joska
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Raj, there is no 968 Turbo S rebuild or even original 968 Turbo S out there in this unbelievable condition. You could have even more original parts in this car then some of the 14
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have not had the chance to see Raj's car apart from on pictures, but I have seen 6 original ones up close and some of them were really nice indeed. In particular, TV's polar silver immaculate example keeps going through the years looking like it just rolled off the production line. It's the first one I got the chance to see, so maybe I have a soft spot for it because of the strong impression it made on me back then.

PW's speed yellow example is however my favourite... the best colour IMO.

Anyway, fantastic cars all of them!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words.

1st off, I would like to thank Clint Davis and Pete Stout for the article. Clint was amazing with his camera and his long term memory is impressive. A true car guy.

Enough can't be said about Pete Stout. We spoke a few years back about my car briefly and right away Pete was very interested in running an article with Excellence. Pete was at Excellence at the time. As time went by and we were finally able to do a shoot, Pete was in the process of moving to Pano. Clint had given me the option to go to either magazine with the article but loyalty is very big for me. I stuck with Pete and I am so glad I did. He has done an amazing job turning Pano around. Pano was always my 2nd choice to Excellence, but in Pete's tenure, its made amazing progress and is now my favorite out of all. It also helps having another very good friend tied to the magazine.

On to some history. Back in 2000, I had recently moved on to 968's after owning a whole bunch of 951S over the yrs. Had sold my last one because I was getting married and needed to liquidate things. Once things settled, I purchased another 951S. modded it with Huntley stuff (turbo, Maf, tune etc) but felt I was ready to move on and wanted something with a more traditional Porsche look and the 968 seemed to have all the ingredients. I was already familiar with the chassis, so it was a no brainer.

I bought my 1st 968 from Tom Egan (aka as 968LS1 on rennlist, yes its a small world). This car was completely stock and I went down to Louisiana to pick it up with my brother in law. I had decided on this car because I was having a hard time finding an M030 (had no clue how rare they were in the 968 world). As luck would have it, a M030 coupe became available within 2 months of my purchase. The car was being sold by a PCA member who was using it for DE events and had It setup accordingly. I immediately sold the 92 and purchased the 94 M030 and started turnings things back to stock. Although the car was great as far as handling and braking, it was missing the kick I was used to with my 951's.

Then in 2002, my current turbo showed up on 968.net in the classified section. The car was being sold under consignment at Heimrath Porsche in Toronto. In pictures, it looked right and was a turbo! I took a drive with a friend to go check the car out. When I met the owner of the dealership, he took me to a high rise building and in the basement stood a bunch of cars. I knew a lot of these cars were special even thought they were all covered. Their contours pointed to exotics (I vividly remember a Lambo and a Ferrari). Next to them sat this turbo, which I was there to check out. The car gave a little bit of a hard time starting but eventually started. We took it for a drive and it had the turbo rush that I was looking for. Deal done! I had no idea at the time how special and rare the interior was or its original owner being Ludwig Heimrath (very well known Porsche racer from the 70's). How, it had a few factory turbo S parts etc (hood, front bumper and rear spoiler). I quickly sold the M030 to a 968.net owner who had been interested in the car and worked on getting this turbo.

The car was delivered to me at Buffalo airport, from where I drove it back. Went through customs and eventually was able to register it. While troubleshooting, I figured out the speed/reference sensors were gapped incorrectly and hence were chewed. I swapped and the car would start without any issues. Starting problem solved.

Then came a big break in 2004 which started this trend of turning as much into factory parts as possible. Chris Cervelli from Technodyne Racing had posted an Ad for a 968 turbo RS engine for sale on rennlist in the 951 section (yes I still have a copy of the original Ad). I struck a deal with another 968.net member (George Vassos), who was interested in turbo-charging his cab and sold him my setup and helped him turbo-charge his cab. It was a great learning experience and the results were amazing. George got his turbo and I now had that special engine.

Then came a god send in shape of one of my best friends, who I met during a 968 gathering at Hershey. This guy was the real deal. A true wrench, of German origin and was just a great guy. We struck off well from day 1 and formed a great friendship which to this day is shared with family vacations and trips to each other's place. I give him the most credit for everything I have been able to do with car. He helped source the parts, 1 after another and helped make this car become what it is today. I can't thank him enough for his friendship and support. I know you are reading this, so a special thanks to you my friend!

I am still waiting on the article and have a copy or two saved for my special friends. I thought it might be a good time to share some of this car's history.

Thanks everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Apex (06-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Nice write up on Raj's 968 in panorama this month