First Time Porsche Owner - My New 1992 968 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I assume for the fraction of the price the ArnnWorx tool is, it worked well enough?

Which fuel lines are the ones I should be inspecting to make sure my car doesn't burst into flames?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=201-25

Almost have a full parts list together... AutoAtlanta has a really nice setup for viewing diagrams!

- Nate
#1 and #2. In the engine bay, comes over the rear of the engine. If you take the rear fuel tank cover down, have a close look at 12 and 23.

The vario cam works by modifying the path the chain takes from the ex to the int cam. The ex cam is fixed timing and the intake can vary depending on RPM. A solenoid directs oil pressure into the vario cam hub in between the two cams to make the top or bottom distance longer which changes the intake timing.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it worked just fine. There are some who subscribe to the "just do it by feel" method, but unless you do it to a known tension a few times, there's no way to develop that "feel".
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Protostar1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tamathumper
Yes, it worked just fine. There are some who subscribe to the "just do it by feel" method, but unless you do it to a known tension a few times, there's no way to develop that "feel".
I think I will go for the tool kit with the tension tool, belt lock (I think 944 only) and combo wrench then look for a flywheel lock and should be set on special tools for this job...

I just asked this question of Mike and Jonathan of Pelican and ECS respectively:

Do I really need or even want to do the water pump? I have zero desire to cheap out, so if its a smart time to do it because I will have all the belts already off, I am on board. But I have also seen some complaints of failures with replacement water pumps. Am I just introducing a new potential failure or leak by fixing something that isn't broken and only has 58k miles?

- Nate

Quick Reply: First Time Porsche Owner - My New 1992 968 Coupe