Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Strange steering behavior - fells like it's binding in left turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 PM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you've already considered this. I know it has been a while. Could it be the top bearing mount for one of he struts. Still seems odd, but if it is wearing out, it could be in a way that when certain things line up the bind if they are loaded just right.

Also, did you ever rule out the steering rack? If you pull the plug that is used to lock the rack for alignments, can you see any of the rack or the pinion to see I they look OK. Could be a bearing that the rack slides in (don't know what they look like, probably a bushing??) be worn enough, that it allows the pinion t bind with the rack teeth. Can you do a push pull test on the rack where it exits the steering housing to see what the conditions of the bushing are. If the rack could rotate about it's centerline it could also put it in a bind with the pinion. Suppose you could also check to see how sloppy the rack was when doing a rotate cw, rotate ccw test at each end of the rack.

Just my current thoughts, take them for what they are worth.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 PM
MB968
Racer

And, don't most alignment shops have a plate that rotates that they can set the front tires onto to do the toe-in alignment?

Is there a tendency for it to lockup at low speed (lot more force to rotate wheel), or is it the same at low and high speed (where force to steer is a lot less).
Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Practically the whole suspension is brand new - struts, springs, bushings, A-Arms, ball joints, and camber plates with integrated strut bushings. I completely disassembled the steering rack to re-seal it, and the teeth of both the rack and the pinion gear appear to be in excellent condition. It didn't have this binding problem before the steering rack re-seal/suspension rebuild, so it must have something to do with something I did.

I tried to replicate what you're describing with putting the front tires on rotating plates by using tiles with grease between them, but I couldn't reproduce the problem (and the tiles ended up breaking). And to answer your question, surprisingly the problem doesn't seem to be speed related at all - happens when the car is motionless, and also entering high speed turns. It's not engine speed related, either. It's also very intermittent - I'd say it happens on about every third or fourth left-hand turn. Not outside temperature or humidity related, either.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
MB968
Racer

Is there an assembly drwg for the steering rack showing how it is designed?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There probably is, but I've never seen one.

Quick Reply: Strange steering behavior - fells like it's binding in left turns