Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Question on Window Tinting (Markham, Ontario)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Window Tinting (Markham, Ontario)

Thinking of getting the windows tinted have a couple of questions...

Should I tint the back hatch window also or should I leave as is? Reason I am asking is that I have noticed imperfections on all the windows, but on the hatch, if I stand back about 10 feet, looks like there are a ton of bubbles forming in the window....

I want to hide those imperfections, and also think it will look nice especially on a blank/black car...

Please let me know your thoughts and grade I should use....

Also if anyone knows a good person in the Markham, Ontario will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

My company install films on commercial flat glass. There are several suppliers but Llumar is the biggest and IMHO have the best product. High Performance films (ceramics) tend to more reflective and have less colour than less expensive dyed films. I don't know any of the dealers in Markham, but if you call the distributor in Burlington they should be able to point you to some choices. Energard Energy Products
905 336 1188
Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
BikePilot
Racer

All my windows but the windshield itself are tinted and I quite like the look. I really like the cooling effect here in FL as well!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
bbain
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on the Llumar.

I've had all mine tinted except the windshield as well. I would suggest that if you get the rear hatch tinted, take it to someone that has experience with a 944 or 968 rear hatch. I've see quite a few bad jobs on 944s. I went to 3 different installers before finding one that would actually guarantee their work on the rear hatch.

I'm not sure I'm following you regarding the window imperfections (bubbles forming in the window), but I would think that if the window has imperfections (bubbles) and those imperfections cause the surface to not be smooth, then tinting will only magnify those imperfections.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbain
+1 on the Llumar.

I've had all mine tinted except the windshield as well. I would suggest that if you get the rear hatch tinted, take it to someone that has experience with a 944 or 968 rear hatch. I've see quite a few bad jobs on 944s. I went to 3 different installers before finding one that would actually guarantee their work on the rear hatch.

I'm not sure I'm following you regarding the window imperfections (bubbles forming in the window), but I would think that if the window has imperfections (bubbles) and those imperfections cause the surface to not be smooth, then tinting will only magnify those imperfections.

Good luck!

Thank you - what grade tint did you use?

Regarding the imperfections it almost looks like a ripple effect on the window - It's primarily on the rear hatch, and my driver side window has a few of them...I had it replaced and my mechanic said sometimes they have these ripples in them...
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Shorrock
Intermediate

I have Hüper Optik Ceramic 40 on my 2012 Crew Cab and it is amazing. This stuff is the best tint I have ever had installed. They make a 70 that will go on the front windshield, but they were out of it and I did not take the time to go back. If I put tint on the 968 next spring this would be the only tint I would consider!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste

Regarding the imperfections it almost looks like a ripple effect on the window - It's primarily on the rear hatch, and my driver side window has a few of them...I had it replaced and my mechanic said sometimes they have these ripples in them...
The rear hatch is fitted with tempered glass and the manufacturing process creates surface tension and that why the stuff is so strong. It also causes a visible ripple effect which is internal to the glass and a solar film will hide that.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
bbain
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste

It's been over 10 years since I've had the windows tinted (and they still look great) and I do not remember the tint grade. I know I stayed within the legal limits.

Ahhh... ripples. Sorry, the word "bubbles" was throwing me. I got it now. There are no noticeable ripples in my tinted windows (rear hatch included). I can't say that there were noticeable ripples before the tinting either, as that was one of the first things I did to my car after purchasing it.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your feedback

Quick Reply: Question on Window Tinting (Markham, Ontario)