968 Forum 1992-1995

heater core replace/repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default heater core replace/repair?

ready to pull the heater core out. question before i pull it is the possibility of repair. i was hoping the leak was at the joining pipes, but i see the foam around the core is soaked so i know the leak is up high. if its leaking at the pipes is this where the orings are that can be replaced? can the core be repaired (rewelded) if the leak is at the hose/end tank connection?

since the car will be down once i pull it im trying to see the possibility of fixing it before i just pony up to buy a new one since that couldnt happen in the short term. i'd imagine that a radiator shop would be able to handle it...or even myself with some silver solder? i see diff opinions across the forums, any new experiences or thoughts?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repaired a leak at the core of mine where the cooling tubes enter the big end pieces. It took awhile, and a lot of flux to get a clean up the weld (solder). There was a bunch of corrosion around the leak. Make sure you test the leak with compressed air and bucket of water before you put it back in.

Quick Reply: heater core replace/repair?