968 Forum 1992-1995

Also stalling: fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also stalling: fuel pump?

I was on my way to the dragstrip with some friends today, when my car suddenly stalled. I was driving in 4th or 5th at 45-55, when the engine just died. The car was still rolling in gear, but there were no explosions happening in the cylinders. I put it in neutral and pulled off to the side of the road (I did try popping the clutch and pressing the gas pedal a few times with no luck). Once stopped the car turned over and over and over but never caught, until it wouldn't turn over anymore (battery). When my friends finally came back for me we hooked up the jumper cables and it fired right up. We then drove a few more minutes down the road and it stalled again (once again I was driving at speed). This time I was able to start the car with the electric starter, battery had enough juice.

I then drove the rest of the way to the track, made 5 passes (best time of 14.72 in the 1/4 at 95ish), I started and shut the car off multiple times while waiting to run. After leaving the track, several hours later, on the way home it stalled again, and I was able to restart it with the electric start. I stopped shortly after this and filled it up (I was under a 1/4 tank but the low-fuel light hadn't come on yet, 17ish gallons).

What could be causing these stalls, and why does the car sometimes fire up immediately and other times I turn the car over and over for what seems like minutes, and squadoosh?

My thought is my fuel pump is on it's way out, and stops pumping occasionally, building bubbles in the fuel line, which cause the stall. Big bubbles = turning the car over and over. Small bubbles = starts right back up.

Has anyone else had this problem, or have a better explanation? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Fuel filter clogged? I know it's not the same thing, but my motorcycle exhibited the same symptoms. It was the internal fuel filter in the pump, non serviceable, so replaced. Problem went away.

Doug
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 AM
968norway
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DME relay could be the culprit. Check and see if it has a 993.-.-. part number. Usually the fuel pump starts to hum or whine when it is going bad, a useful feature in that it gives some warning before it fails.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats 968Norway, you guessed correctly.

Thanks for the help. Just got the car fixed today, and it's running great!

Quick Reply: Also stalling: fuel pump?