Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 as DD? Yeah/nay and your reasons.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought my car sight unseen from a gent in Oregon, and drove it back to Massachusetts in 3 days, doing very long stints. Car had 139k on the clock.

Other than balding the tires and causing a few more oil leaks. I got ridiculous gas mileage in the 30+ MPG range

I think I used 1/2 quart the first 2 days and 1 quart the last.

I think that says a lot for a car this old maintained well.

I needed the front of the engine resealed, and power steering hose replaced. But was not surprised since it is common on these cars and I just drove a crap load of miles, and those seals were ready to go at some point.

First summer the DME relay started flaking out, I popped in the spare (need to fix the old one and reflow those joints) This year the starter died on me.

I drive it daily in the summer unless I know I have to be in a lot of traffic or heavy rain.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:17 PM
redknight_R
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I drive my 968 daily and do inspections and maintenance on it every other week just because I want to keep it in top condition.

So far it's reliable, even though I already had to change the clutch hose (lasted 22 years), and rear wheel bearings. A spark plug hole seal started leaking which means all the seals in the top portion of the engine will be replaced. I'll be inspecting the camshaft chain in the process of replacing all the seals.

I can say it's a fun car to drive though it can be pricey to send it to the shop for maintenance which is why I do most of the maintenance work myself.

Quick Reply: 968 as DD? Yeah/nay and your reasons.