968 Forum 1992-1995

Steering Wheel Does Not Come Back to True After Turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
That's weird - the PET shows bushings irrespective of left or right hand drive. I've never heard of RHD drive cars being different in mounting, and I couldn't understand why Porsche would differentiate. I know the rack and steering shaft etc are different, but the mounting seems the same in PET.

EDIT: You may be right - I looked on PET and the RHD drive cars have different clips and shorter bolts which alludes to no bushing. Crap - why does PET not list the bushings as /LL????
Yeah, I found out the hard way - I already ordered the new bushings, went to fit them... and I had also checked on PET as you did.

Only takes 2 minutes to check on the car!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My steering has been getting a little loose lately. Just ordered the polyurethane ones on ebay - only $25. I'll report back on impressions once I have these installed.
Thanks for the ebay headsup. I just ordered myself a set. Will post impressions when they arrive!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:54 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My steering has been getting a little loose lately. Just ordered the polyurethane ones on ebay - only $25. I'll report back on impressions once I have these installed.
Hey Eric - check these out: http://msfracingcomponents.com.au/st...earingspacers/

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 AM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread...order a new set and hope results are as good
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 AM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got the polyurethane ones in the mail from Ricochet (eBay) and wow what a difference it made to the steering! It looks like someone had replaced the passenger side bushing at some point, and had neglected to do the much-more-fun-to-access driver side one. It was literally in pieces.
The urethane bushings are still a bit soft, but not as soft as the original rubber ones and perfect for a road car. I wish the delrin ones weren't so costly.

Anyway, if you have any feeling of slop/hesitation in your steering wheel on fast turn-in, this is a good quick* place to start!

*quick only if your bolts aren't all seized on when you try to take them off, and if it doesn't take you over an hour to get the bushing braces to line back up properly for the bolts to thread on during reassembly.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 AM
SDDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DIY article/pics of this procedure anywhere?

Dave
Old 08-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Marian76
Track Day

I read here and you mentioned about the steering rack bushings for the wheel which does not return to center.

Can you please share where the steering rack bushing are located?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:08 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

They are located on the cross-member that runs under the oil pan where the rack attaches to the cross member. If your belly pans are still in place you may not be able to see the rack/cross member. Remove the plastic and metal belly pans if you have them and you cant miss it all.
The aluminum cross member is where the motor mounts are bolted.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Marian76
Track Day

I have to show them to my mechanic that doesn't speak English. A diagram would be the best help here or a photo.

But anyway thank you for the detailed description.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:08 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

thread revival from beyond...

marian, are the symptoms exactly the same as the original post? what is your alignment numbers? it is castor that returns the wheel to straight ahead. sometimes the upper strut bearings can bind or a ball joint can bind that inhibits the return to center. can you lift the front of the car and see if it binds in is arc?

i use less castor and return the steering with the wheel by hand....kinda like driving an early Quattro.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Does Not Come Back to True After Turn