968 Forum 1992-1995

Flickering instrument panel warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering instrument panel warning lights

Not sure if anyone has come across this before on a 968 (mine is a 1995 model Sport), but when I turn the steering wheel lock to lock, or drive over a rough surface, the central warning light flickers on and off and sometimes other warning lights randomly flash on and off, such as the washer bottle light (full bottle), brake pads (recent) and oil pressure (great pressure on the gauge when driving or idling).

I've thought about the grounds and have checked the battery and bulk head ones, but I need to find and check all the others. Have found a diagram on RL of where they are, but it's not that clear in terms of how to find them.

Could the cause be something other than a bad ground, or should I check the all the grounds first?

Can anyone explain to me where they are please?

Many thanks

Sam
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under the dash, either side there is a grounding point, also check for loose wires attached to the steering column.

AND check the 14 pin connector on the firewall near the brake booster... it is the pass through for the gauges, perhaps you have a loose / frayed / mis-aligned pin in there causing your issue!

then there could be damage to the wiring harness in the dash, not uncommon, but a royal PITA to fix... so only go there if EVRYTHING else has been verified good!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Many thanks for the info John, I'll have a look at the weekend and report back.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Cristel993
Instructor

With the car stationary and turning the steering wheel, the lights are flickering when I turn the wheel close to full lock. I'm guessing it's most likely to be the wiring in the steering column?

I don't have airbags so it's easy to remove the steering wheel. Once I take the column cover off, what should I be looking for?

Many thanks

Sam
Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cristel993
With the car stationary and turning the steering wheel, the lights are flickering when I turn the wheel close to full lock. I'm guessing it's most likely to be the wiring in the steering column?

I don't have airbags so it's easy to remove the steering wheel. Once I take the column cover off, what should I be looking for?

Many thanks

Sam
It's probably the steering column disturbing wiring under the dash. There really isn't any wiring "in" the steering column. It's also possible that the connectors on the instrument panel themselves are loose. Have they ever been removed?

Quick Reply: Flickering instrument panel warning lights