968 Forum 1992-1995

Looking for a picture of 968 hatch area

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a picture of 968 hatch area

I purchased and installed a 968 hatch last year which seems to be every 944 owners dream and mine also. Everything is good so far and I recently purchased some wonderful items from http://www.only944.com. They are the hatch pin receiver seats that replace the old rubber seats that disintegrate and disappear and cause misallignment and rattling and squeaking noises.
I was even more excited to find that not only did they fix all the above issues but now when I hit the button inside the footwell my hatch pops open automatically and that hasn't happened in all the three years I have had this 944.

I also replaced the hatch seal and I guess I just noticed something and wanted to see how the 968 hatch actually sits in the back area on a 968. I now noticed there is a open space between the metal 968 hatch bottom edge and the top body edge of the car and I can see the seal in between. Not that this causing a problem but wanted to get a picture of this area on a 968 if someone could take a picture just like this one but on a actual 968.

Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by IGROWL; 03-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Use your computer ZOOM at a 125% for a closer look.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands944
I also replaced the hatch seal and I guess I just noticed something and wanted to see how the 968 hatch actually sits in the back area on a 968. I now noticed there is a open space between the metal 968 hatch bottom edge and the top body edge of the car and I can see the seal in between. Not that is causing a problem but wanted to get a picture of this area on a 968 if someone could take a picture just like this one but on a actual 968.
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm assuming you're talking about the pin receiver differences. The 968 has a gasket attached on the body side that seals the pin receivers, where the 944 had the gasket integrated with the pin receivers on the hatch side. You can either buy new 968 gaskets, drill holes on the body side to attach, or replace the pin receivers with 944 parts. I didn't want to drill holes, so I just bought all new 944 pin receivers, square nuts and hatch pins.

Another difference is there's no gasket that runs across the width of the hatch like there was on the 944 hatch, so there's going to be a gap. If you still have your old hatch, you can remove that gasket and use gasket adhesive to attach it to the 968 hatch. That's what I did. You have to use gasket adhesive because there's nothing to hold it in place. On the 944, it's pinched between the foam spoiler and the glass frame.

Lastly, you've already probably discovered that you can't get your key in the hatch keyhole with the 3rd brake light installed. Not much you can do there unless you want to find the 944 blank-off plate which is NLA from Porsche.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CurtP
You can either buy new 968 gaskets, drill holes on the body side to attach, or replace the pin receivers with 944 parts.
Ok the second choice is what I tried to do but I could not get the 968 pins and their holders off even after spraying with PBblaster and I ended up stripping the star screws so they aren't coming off now.

Originally Posted by CurtP
Another difference is there's no gasket that runs across the width of the hatch like there was on the 944 hatch, so there's going to be a gap. If you still have your old hatch, you can remove that gasket and use gasket adhesive to attach it to the 968 hatch. That's what I did. You have to use gasket adhesive because there's nothing to hold it in place. On the 944, it's pinched between the foam spoiler and the glass frame.
Great idea and yes I still have my old hatch.

Originally Posted by Curp
Lastly, you've already probably discovered that you can't get your key in the hatch keyhole with the 3rd brake light installed. Not much you can do there unless you want to find the 944 blank-off plate which is NLA from Porsche.
I went into this knowing that the key would not be able to go in the lock and the key never worked since I got that 944 three years ago. It ways always a 2 person job one us hit the button in the footwell while the other wiggled it and pulled until the hatch came open. Now that I installed the pin receiver seats from Only944.com it is a 1 person job - I hit the button and it opens automatically on its own.

Thanks for your input because that is why I come to Rennlist with a concern and I always get good ideas.

Quick Reply: Looking for a picture of 968 hatch area