968 Forum 1992-1995

Lightweight headlights etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lightweight headlights etc.

I decided to try and make new headlights for my turboed 968. In addition to save some weight and get a "personal" look, it was now possible to install bigger oil cooler in the space previously occupied by the headlight mechanism. I also removed the power steering cooling loop and replaced it with small Mocal unit.
What I have now is 40 row Setrab for oil cooling and 13 Row Mocal for power steering fluid. Here are some pictures:

Oil cooler

Power steering fluid cooler

Headlight bucket

Relays

Overview

Headlights are Hella H7 bi-halogen units. These have both the hi and low beam, lens is 90mm in diameter. Buckets are aluminium and fiberglass, covers are polycarbonate. Supporting structure is very lightweight and made of aluminium. I used mostly stock attaching points so it's possible to go back to original if desired.
Headlights are locked in place with one bolt accessed by removal of brake cooling duct. After that it's easy to slide the bucket out and change the bulb.

Lights turned out quite ok I think but I really want to make those covers curved. I made several attemps already which weren't very succesfull. Will try again using vacuum forming at work.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I'd love to do something like that! mind posting pics of the nitty gritty? Or better yet, want to make me a set?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

i really like this. fantastic job.

my weight saving projects include;

1. dumped the stock seats for leather Sparcos.
2. rear seat delete.
3. light weight exhaust w/ giant muffler to compensate for the angry monster within.
4. 993 xenon lit lights install [coming].
5. GT Racing hood with 1 5.5 oz layer of CF/Kevlar for added strength on the street [coming]. the duel color composite cloth under clear epoxy should look ok with the Monterrey Blue Lambo pearl paint kit that's going on later.

thanks for sharing your project. please more engine bay pics.

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 07-22-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:31 AM
porsche_968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curve lens cover will be awesome.....how much weight was removed?
thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 AM
HomerMAC
AutoX

I understand this might add a few grams of weight... but why didnt you just get a xenon projector shroud as well? The headlights LOOK AMAZING. I have been searching HIGH and LOW for an alternative. This would def. be that alternative using the bi-xenon projectors. a set of BMW e36 m3 shrouds. I am bookmarking this thread.

BTW. this is my first post. I am closing the deal on a 93' 968cab. Black with dark caramel color interior
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

any updates?!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:37 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

i was just thinking about a part of the car i don't use. the defacto front bumper.

have no need for it whatsoever.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Hella makes these lights also as Bi-xenons. I didn't use them because I would then need at least headlight washers and propably a height adjustment system as well to pass inspection. I will install some kind of shrouds when time permits.. (if I can resist buying a GT3)

Another reason was there is not much space behind the driver's side headlight. The coolant reservoir is right there and it get's very close to the bulb holder. I have a turbo reservoir though, don't know if the NA part is same size. Anyway I imagine the xenons would protrude even further back?

I still haven't weighted these but I will don't worry! When it comes to fabricating sets of these.. sorry I don't think I have time and energy for that. It takes too much time and to make a true bolt-on kit requires a lot of development.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that a maritime blue 964 in the reflection?

I love the headlights. If you decide to make another set, I'll buy your old ones.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 PM
HomerMAC
AutoX

Originally Posted by JarmoL
Hella makes these lights also as Bi-xenons. I didn't use them because I would then need at least headlight washers and propably a height adjustment system as well to pass inspection... ....I still haven't weighted these but I will don't worry! When it comes to fabricating sets of these.. sorry I don't think I have time and energy for that. It takes too much time and to make a true bolt-on kit requires a lot of development.
From my experience with retrofitting projectors, You can fit a bi-xenon in there in addition to another marker light or something. Hmm... Your skill is impressive never the less. GREAT LIGHTS. The bixenon mechanisim sits in front of the bowl so there is no elongation of the bulb/bowl area. HIDplanet is a good resource for retrofitting.

I was looking at the newer mini headlights. Not the ones with projector but the reflector HID. I think the low beam HID part can be retrofitted into the OEM 968 headlight. This also means removal of the pop up mechanisim.

Oh man.. I'm all excited now!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Little update..

Finally I was able to get the lights weighed. New lights and supporting structure weighs 2,3 kg per side. Old ones are 6,9 kg per side. So the total saving is 9,2 kg. I gained additional 2 kg saving by removing the foglights and replacing them with the cooling ducts. So the grand total is 11,2 kg or 24,2 lbs. It doesn't sound that much but hey.. it's the little things that add up!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's pretty good if you ask me.

I was considering fixed headlights for my 944 track car and if I can expect about 24 lbs of reduction, I think it's worth it. On the 968, I'd do it just for looks.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
porsche_968
Advanced

HI Jarmol, If you ar only doing a one-off, can you post some of the parts and dimensions (if possible)
so others can attempt it also. Did you get to do the convex lens cover?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

+80 bajillion!

Quick Reply: Lightweight headlights etc.