Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Going 2 pull motor n coupe - thought 2 post last DYI lessons. will update.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Going 2 pull motor n coupe - thought 2 post last DYI lessons. will update.

for fun I'll expand

1. Disconnect battery
2. Disconnect DME from wiring- after being a circus act upside down to get it out- I to squeeze in due to location of the car in the garage.
3. Pull DME wiring out from the interior to engine bay- make sure to cut your hands on the clipped tyewraps and anything sharp.
4. Remove radiator/ AC cooler (AC cooler can stay in if you want on a 968, there is room. Allows the AC system to stay charged) + the panel underneath
5. Disconnect hoses (incl. power steering) Do not forget the heater core hoses- guess why my motor did not move forward at first..
** do not forget to disconnect the oil cooler lines.
6. Disconnect streeing axle- hits on the way down otherwise
7. Disconnect control axis from control arms
8. Remove control arms joints from body
9. Remove front anti-roll bar incl. mounting bracket
**disconnect the AC compressor from the block and hang it out of the way.
10. Remove front bumper
11. Use a crane to hang the engine- or in my case a motorcycle jack , worked well
** remove or diconnect the exhaust, in my case I removed it and everything out of the bottom because the torque tube was being removed.
** remove starter
** remove the negative line for the starter off the block clamp
** disconnect the two connectors upper drivers side wiring and fish them to the block. (forget what they are to) Alternator/sensors maybe..
** prior to pulling the clutch cylinder lock the clutch in the engaged position to be able to rotate the torque shaft and dissconnect the TT coupler, with the bolt out slide it towards the rear of the car as far as you can. If you pull the clutch cylinder first and box wrench can be rotated into and onto the fork to depress the clutch but it is APIA... but works to allow you to rotate the shaft and get to the bolt.
12. Remove clutch cylinder
13. Disconnect clutchhousing from tq-tube- good luck with the top two bolts, extensions and a swivel is a must.
14. Remove the main beam- time to decide what you are taking out...
**if removing the steering rack - pop the tye rod ends and leave the rack on the crossmember.
15. Lower the engine a bit and yank it 8-10" forward
16. Lower the engine to ground-
** in my case I lowered the engine to the ground and lifted the nose or the car (at min) 3' in the air so the car clears the motor coming out.

Keep bandaids on hand or a good rag. Gloves saved me a few knuckles and nothing beats good air tools.

I took it out the bottom becasue of the stuff I had to remove anyway. I think it is a wash either way. To help in saving the body work I probally will stay with an out the bottom method... there is so much to be done under the car, it is easy to jack it up high and leave it there.

I'll post a few removal pics soon- Cheers, Mike

PS I was sore for three days, all suspension, motor, trans, and torque tube was taking out.

Quick Reply: Going 2 pull motor n coupe - thought 2 post last DYI lessons. will update.