Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

someone with a 10 speaker audio question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default someone with a 10 speaker audio question?

Hi,

Someone sent me a PM regarding the upgrades I made to the 10 speaker stereo. For reasons unknown, when I went to reply today the message was gone.

So, happy to reply, but I've lost your original email.

Best,
Phil
Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil - I didn't send you the PM, but I just finished doing my stereo on Saturday - what a long slog that was! Is there a thread detailing what you did?

-Austin
Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Austin,

No, I never did detail the actual audio upgrades, but I guess I can take a whack at it now...
1. Dynamat in the hatch, spare tire area and the doors
2. Quiet Car sprayed in the wheel wells and underbody (too hard to take the carpet up)
3. KLA sub box with a woofer bought from Parts Express
4. Alpine head unit, single CD with USB and iPod inputs
5. New six inch woofers in the C pillars ( purchase from Parts Express or Madisound)
6. Power - lots of power...
- 3 blaupunkt amps
- all based on the (now defunct) tripath chipset
- very compact and very efficient
- two amps mounted where the spare is, one mounted under the glove box
- one amp bridged and dedicated to the sub and crossed over about 150Hz
- one powers the six inch woofers these are high pass crossed over at about 100 Hz
- one powers the factory speakers in the doors which are high passed at about 150 Hz

This would not past muster with those interested in uber high-end, but I really like maintaining the stock look and feel of things and lots of clean power can help an otherwise mediocre system sound much better so this was the route I took. In my mind it was hard to justify going too much beyond this given the noise levels in the car. It's simply not quiet enough to really go for the ultra high end. I am considered an audiophile by most and have certainly done some more exotic things in the past, but this seemed a good compromise.

I've always enjoyed car audio and with a bit of research you can generally do quite well buying from places like Madisound and Parts Express as opposed to just going with the usual car audio suppliers.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Phil - Your system is a little bit beyond what I did, but similar.

• I replaced all the speakers with Polk DB 2-way components, 5.25" front, 6.5" rear. They're certainly not high end, but decent. I did not use the midrange speaker location in the doors - woofers and crossovers are mounted under the armrests. Not ideal placement, but they fit. Tweeters are all in the stock locations.
• Alpine head unit, with iPod of course - should have got one with bluetooth, which I'll probably do in the near future.
• Alpine V12 5-channel amp mounted in spare tire well. 45w x 4, 150w for sub
• DynaMat in all the usual places.
• Will add KLA sub box with 8" sub soon.

Just got the system working on Saturday after many weekends of work. Not fantastic, but way better than the old cracking, rotting factory setup. Still need to do some tuning on the amp, and of course things should improve once I get the sub in there.

The DynaMat has made a big difference - highly recommended even if you're not concerned with audio quality. It really knocks road noise down quite a bit.

-Austin

Quick Reply: someone with a 10 speaker audio question?