Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Adjusting the Balance Shaft Belt

Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, to replace the pan gasket you have to remove the suspension crossmember. This implies supporting the motor from above in some fashion, either with an engine hoist or otherwise.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do I have to remove the Crankshaft pulley to remove the balance belt? I removed the hex heads holding on the lower balance belt guide and it doesn't seem to remove either.
I feel I need to remove this guide or the belts won't come out. I bought a flywheel lock so I can continue if this is the case...

I need another Porsche to drive while I'm working on this one!
Old 06-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

It may come off without removing the pulley but I think it would be tough to get it back on. To get that lower guide off you definitely have to remove the pulley. There are 2 more hidden hex bolts behind there. 4 total.
If you use a breaker bar and your leg to get the pulley off make sure not to bend the pulley. I did and I have seen a couple others do it.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 06-08-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 PM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Thanks Jerry. I actually got the balance belt off carefully and the timing appears narrower... but I think it's maybe necessary as you say.

Now I can't figure out how to remove the tensioner or anything else without removing crank pulley also. Maybe a complication of the 968 vs 944?

The timing belt removal is now in question since the hydraulic tensioner is embedded in the rear belt cover and appears trapped by the crank pulley also.

Otherwise it's quite the twist to wiggle out the timing belt behind the tensioner. I need to read up on the hydraulic tensioner.

I'm trying NOT to remove all the rollers since it's just time but not mileage demanding belt change.

Order of operations or sequence is TBD. Thanks to anybody reading and weighing input

-d
Old 06-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I took my timing belt tensioner out with no problem. With the balance shaft belt still in place actually. You should be able to unbolt it and just wiggle it out.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:21 AM
dfheezy
Intermediate

It's wiggled out! It helped to remove the lower clearance hole (closest to the rear belt cover) first, then the upper one cleared studs much easier than removing the lower first. Now, belt is in need of wiggling around the crank pulley which doesn't seem easy - but it won't be hard! I love working on cars with a little guidance, though I had no one to teach me. I'll post pictures of my progress and completion so everyone can see. /happy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting the Balance Shaft Belt