Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
ad-01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP Knocking front of suspension

hi all

just wondering

when i drive- even on smooth roads ~ i hear a knocking sound coming from shock absorber area , its a right hand drive

i have bounced the car and the noise is easy to hear like i said coming from front suspension

i think shock is OK as it bounces hard and film

any ideas would be great
Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I can list some usual suspects:

check your two inner sway bar bushings. Mainly the right side one. It tends to get destroyed by leaking PS fluid, and when it falls out, the sway bar clunks around.

Check that your springs are seated properly and not popping around. I guess have someone watch the spring as you bounce the car, or vice versa.

Make sure your upper strut nuts are tight. Pop the black plastic cover off the top of your strut and use a 22mm offset wrench (or an oxygen sensor tool), while counter-holding the center with an allen key, and make sure that nut is tight.

make sure your lug nuts are tight. I think the torque spec is 92 lbft or near that.

check for play in your wheel bearing. With that corner jacked up and the wheel off the ground, hold the top and bottom of the wheel and push/pull a few times. There should be little or no play.

With the car still jacked up, check for play in your ball joint and tie rod end. Both should have zero play.

if you don't find it, then you should try to lie down under the car while someone bounces it (so use ramps instead of a jack, but still always set jackstands as emergency backups) and try to spot the thing that is moving / hitting / causing noise.

Quick Reply: HELP Knocking front of suspension