or i take of Rear Exhaust Muffler and have a straight pipe

what you reckon

i just think it sounds to silent and i just want a nice rore
hope you know what i mean
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you want to go the conventional way and purchase an already made one. Here are some sound clips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54T8ubJH5Tg
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i think i'll go throw up now.....

instead; start with a 2 1/2" test pipe.... run into a single SLP 2 1/2" in/out 4.5" loudmouth hollow chamber resonator (summit and jegs both sell the loudmouth in single units)...

don't let the name fool you. that resonator really cleans up the exhaust note.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLE-310013919/

next, run into a 3" in/out 5" X 8" X (18" or 22") straight through Magnaflow with offset outlet. both will be loud enough, but the 22" is the better choice in my opinion.... should run about $550 for the entire system including fabbing a pipe with 2 - 45 degree bends.

your engine will sound amazing.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 05-18-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odurandina
i think i'll go throw up now.....

instead; start with a 2 1/2" test pipe.... run into a single SLP 2 1/2 in/out 4.5" loudmouth resonator (summit and jegs both sell the loudmouth in single units)...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLE-310013919/

next, run into a 3" in/out 5" X 8" X (18" or 22") straight through Magnaflow with offset outlet. both will be loud enough, but the 22" is the better choice in my opinion.... should run about $550 for the entire system including fabbing a pipe with 2 - 45 degree bends.

your engine will sound amazing.

/
I wish I could do something like that in California and still pass smog.
Maybe I still could.
Do you have a similar set up on you car?
Plus an audio clip. That would be awesome.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

don't try it. in California you're simply, totally screwed.

i'm no longer running the hooker muffler. i changed to a 3" pipe and extremely large Magnaflow straight through muffler after the resonator. i was dying to hear how it would sound with a really noisy engine... the Magnaflow measures 5" X 11" X 22". so the entire exhaust is a 100 % straight though system that is very quiet but still makes a nice sound at wot with the current engine.... it should also sound great with the new V8 (save for the triangular resonator that i'll add to confront the sound after the Y-pipe).... i'm sure the regulars that read the forum daily are sick of me droning on about exhaust parts. so i'll shut up now.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 05-18-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 AM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I like the B&B the best, the others seem too loud. IMHO. I just don't really care for the large tip on the B&B.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

You dont want a straight pipe...you won't like the sound and it will be too loud. You will also lose some midrange power.

If you just want a nice sound, get a B&B TriFlo cat-back. Those sound best and look the nicest.

Make sure you buy a 2.5" Catback if you get one. A 3" is too big and you will see a lose in power as there wont be enough backpressure.

Going cat-less is pointless. You will gain 1-2BHP without a cat. Only you will pollute more, wont pass inspection in many states, and the car will be way way too loud for most people to enjoy. It will also sound like a slightly throaty Honda with a fart can.

A B&B Cat-Back with the Aribox mod will give you a nice sound from both the exhaust & engine.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

ask Van about my sound... sounds so good now, i'm actually sad to see it go.
i'll also stop by so you can hear it, Dino before Van pulls the engine out in July.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fox944
A B&B Cat-Back with the Aribox mod will give you a nice sound from both the exhaust & engine.
Dam right. Loving that sound every day.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Please keep in mind that an exhaust system is no less intricate than any other part of the drivetrain. There is engineering that goes into it, and you will find if you just try different mufflers, pipe diameters, bends, lengths, etc you will spend a lot of time getting the noise you want, and you still might not have the powerband you want. So basically, don't expect miracles if you DIY.

I agree with fox, keep the cat. If you need more flow, modern hi-flow cats are what you want. You'd be amazed how much they flow, and you won't pollute. Cats aren't bad, it's old fashioned cats that are restrictive.

I've heard many of the 968 catbacks available on the market. IMHO, the B&B sounds way better than anything else - perfect note(s), perfect volume. I once was unfortunate enough to be gifted by my car with a catback bypass. It sounded awful, and loud.

If you don't like the idea of cutting your expensive and rare Porsche plastic airbox, an aftermarket cone filter will sound even louder and they're easy to swap on/off. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
I wish I could do something like that in California and still pass smog.
Maybe I still could.
Do you have a similar set up on you car?
Plus an audio clip. That would be awesome.
People in California are best suited to answer questions about exhaust systems for CA cars. You have many options that will all pass smog easily, not pollute like the evil kitten-murderers that run a test pipe, and give you whatever you're after, be it power, sound, or both. Or the actual ability to pass smog if your problem is a bad cat.

Quick Reply: Advice. Rear Exhaust Muffler 968