968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Maintenance Catch-Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
9ines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 968 Maintenance Catch-Up

So, about a month after I buy my car, the flex damper goes to shreds (one day after the warranty expired, BTW). I've decided to get current on all of the engine maintenance at once.
The belts and rollers were done at 64K, Unfortunately, that was in May 2002! The car now has 96K.

Here is my parts list. These are all of the things that I will replace. I would appreciate any advice here:

Transmission flex damper
Flywheel/RMS
Timing/Balance belts and rollers (Any kit recommendations?)
Balance shaft races
Camshaft chain
Camshaft pads
Front engine seals
PS belt
AC/Alt belt
Valve cover gasket (full kit)
Manifold gasket (thicker thermal version)
Air filter
fuel filter
Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plugs and plug wires

I will also add an RSB stage 1 chip and the RSB cat-back while I am under the car.

Have I missed anything? I'm not planning to replace the water pump or TB tensioner unless I see something bad when it all comes apart.

thanks,
-kbarber
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're going to all that trouble, may i ask why you wouldn't just replace your water pump? its not usually the belts that break by themselves, its the pump seizing that causes the belt to break...

also, rod bearings would be a good idea at your mileage. you'd be ok with another 20-30 thousand miles probably but just something to think about!

Good luck, i just went through my maintenance overhaul last fall!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need for manifold gasket or ignition wires IMO. Would replace heater control valve when you do belts and agree that water pump should be done @ the same time. Rod bearings aren't necessary but you might wanna do them eventually at the same time as engine mounts. Additionally, I know it's not engine maintenance but how about flushing brake fluid and new transmission fluid/filters as well [sounds like a Tip with flex dampener]?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 PM
9ines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
if you're going to all that trouble, may i ask why you wouldn't just replace your water pump? its not usually the belts that break by themselves, its the pump seizing that causes the belt to break...

also, rod bearings would be a good idea at your mileage. you'd be ok with another 20-30 thousand miles probably but just something to think about!

Good luck, i just went through my maintenance overhaul last fall!
I'm not against changing out the WP, but it was done with the belts at 64K. It does not have many miles on it, but it is almost 10 years old.

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
No need for manifold gasket or ignition wires IMO. Would replace heater control valve when you do belts and agree that water pump should be done @ the same time. Rod bearings aren't necessary but you might wanna do them eventually at the same time as engine mounts. Additionally, I know it's not engine maintenance but how about flushing brake fluid and new transmission fluid/filters as well [sounds like a Tip with flex dampener]?
yes, Tip car. I plan to flush the trans and replace the filter/gasket as there is a small leak back there. The HCV and oil cooler gasket and seals were done at 93K by the previous owner, so I think I'm good there. Pads and Rotors were done at 93K. I plan to rebuild the calipers this winter, so a full brake overhaul is coming.

Are the much cheaper rebuilt pumps okay?

thanks,
-kb

Quick Reply: 968 Maintenance Catch-Up